The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

The Well of Ascension

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (2), Cosmere (3)

Recently added byahaver, UsmanFarooq, oddogre, yosupj, jd313, private library, Lahkesis, CathyMcCaughan, cobwebmoth

English (128)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (132)
The Well of Ascension is the second book in the Mistborn trilogy. I read The Final Empire well over a year before picking up book two, mostly due to time constraints, my last year of college, finding and starting my first full-time position, and life in general happening in the interim. I was extremely excited to finally be getting to this book, but while I enjoyed it, I didn’t love it quite as much as the first.

The Well of Ascension takes place after the fall of the Final Empire and its centuries-old leader. The fall of that system leaves a power vacuum that Kelsier’s old band takes up, with Elend Venture as King, and understandably there’s a lot of political instability in this time period. Three armies set up outside Luthadel, each with a leader that hopes to take Elend Venture’s place.

About two-thirds of this book is taken up by the politics of Elend’s situation. I didn’t really mind this all that much at first. It was interesting, and it did keep me reading, but there were pieces of it that probably could have been cut out and that made the middle of the book drag a little bit too slowly. And anyway, anything that happens in that time is essentially unimportant compared to the last 20% of the book. Yet, I found this all far more compelling than the actual action that took place at the end. I was expecting the end of this book to blow my socks off, but I think perhaps reading others’ reviews may have elevated my expectations a little too high.

Having only read The Final Empire before this, it’s very clear to me that the strengths of Sanderson’s writing come in his worldbuilding and characters. Even if there were places in the plot that didn’t fully hold my attention, I cared enough about what happened to Vin, Elend, Zane, Breeze, and Sazed that I needed to keep reading. The mythology that Sanderson’s built around the kandra, the koloss, and the Terris religion around The Hero of Ages is all compelling stuff.

I was a little disappointed here (not enough to put the book down for longer than like a day at a time, though) but my love for the beginning of the series, and the things that this laid out for the next book has me ready to jump into continuing on. I’m really looking forward to reading The Hero of Ages and hope it brings back my excitement for Sanderson’s world in this series. ( )
  yvonnekins | Mar 12, 2019 |
550 pages of droll lameness. 200 pages of sheer awesomeness.

The end is amazing. Vin kicks even more major ass, Sazed turns out to be a mighty warrior, and the story is turned upside down again in unexpected ways, setting this up for the last sequel.

But before that? Bumbling Elend is coached to be a ruler, we sit through endless, simplistic “political intrigue”, and Vin and Elend both mope about not being good enough for the other. Do I really want to even see the word “relationship” in a fantasy novel once? No. And if I had a boxing for every time I read “he is a good man”, I could buy half of Luthadel.

So I was rolling my eyes for most of the book, only perking up when Zane showed up. Vin and Zane fighting together was my favorite part. I continue to adore the fighting scenes and the overall plotting - but Sanderson is really bad at writing character development and dialogue. The characters do develop - but the way he writes those sections is just so.... juvenile, over-analyzed and over-explained. I do hope the last book has more action. ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
I’ve tried reading this book several times now. I know it’s got great ratings and reviews from many people, just it is too heavy in political themes for me. Just not my cup of tea! ( )
  emeraldgirl68 | Sep 30, 2018 |
Book Review – The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson.

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson continues the story of Vin and Elend in the aftermath of the Lord Rulers fall.

The Bad Stuff: The only criticism I have of this story is that the explanation of the magic system was repetitive and overdone. Aside from the fact that I knew about it from the previous book, it seemed too explained more than required in this novel.

The Good Stuff: I really enjoyed this book. It continues seamlessly from book one with all the much loved characters and a full introduction to the Koloss, who were only breezed over in book one. The complexity of the plot seems to get deeper and deeper, with multiple sub-plots taking you through a maze of story questions that keep you reading. I would say this series was well mapped out before the first book was ever written, and what a great job Brandon Sanderson has done.

This is another great fantasy novel that has hooked me into reading the 3rd novel in the series, which I’m sure will not disappoint.
I’m giving this an allomantic, page pushing 5 out of 5 golden bookmarks.
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
As often happens, probably not quite as good as the first book in the series, but still excellent and with the added advantage of not needing the time to learn the characters. ( )
  TravbudJ | Sep 15, 2018 |
Vin's struggles with love and power inject the human element into Sanderson's engaging epic.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Aug 1, 2007)

This entertaining read will especially please those who always wanted to know what happened after the good guys won.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 18, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Phyllis Call,
Who may never understand my fantasy books, yet who taught me more about life - and therefore writing - than she can probably ever know
(Thanks, Grandma!)
The army crept like a dark stain along the horizon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356139, Mass Market Paperback)

Evil has been defeated. The war has just begun.

They did the impossible, deposing the godlike being whose brutal rule had lasted a thousand years. Now Vin, the street urchin who has grown into the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her, must build a healthy new society in the ashes of an empire.

They have barely begun when three separate armies attack. As the siege tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.

It may just be that killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

Vin, the former street urchin and protege of Kelsier, is now heir to the Mistborn and the new world Kelsier created. When a mad race of giants attempt to take the former capital, Luthadel, Vin and her rebel allies must save the city and its hidden cache of allomancy metals from siege.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,475,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible