The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, Book 2) by…

The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, Book 2)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 816 pages

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

English (123)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (127)
A very strong follow-up to the first book in the series. It starts a bit slowly, but quickly ramps up in speed. Excellent characterization and development as the former rebels try to come to grips with having to lead their new government. There are lots of wonderful moments for each of the characters as they come to grips with their roles, and a true introduction to the greater threat hinted of at the conclusion of the previous book.

It's not quite as strong as the first book, but it's really close. I've actually been sitting at my computer for 20 minutes writing this review, thinking about the book, and trying to decide if this is 4 or 5 stars (5 being what I gave the first book). I've settled on 4 for now, as I feel like this book was slightly weaker, but I still wasn't able to put it down, so consider it a 4.5.

I've already downloaded the third book to my Kindle and intend to devour it as well. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
I am stunned at how much I do not like this book. The Final Empire was so good and this was just politics politics politics and then fighting and fight back to politics. Didn’t even like the ending. Didn’t care about the characters. This fell completely flat and I just don’t know if I want to read the third book. I need to think about this. ( )
  AmandaLD | Apr 18, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this instalment in the Mistborn series. I was worried that it would get boring in some parts because I had seen some reviews that reflected that, but I was engaged the whole time and I just wanted to keep reading. I was so busy this week that I was having reading withdrawals, and I finally finished it last night after reading all day. I love the way Brandon Sanderson writes. It is so compelling and his characters are so fleshed out. We got to learn more about the world and it was just so good. I also like that Sanderson isn't afraid to make things go wrong for the characters and they just deal with it, and things keep going not the way they'd hoped. Ugh, just so good. I loved this book and I can't wait to move on to The Hero of Ages :) ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
I was pretty disappointed with this book. I felt the writing was repetitive. Yes, I read the first book - thanks for reminding me. Oh, and I remember how the character felt 3 chapters ago, too. It felt padded.
And I didn't care much for the story. I guess it set up the 3rd book, but I feel like it easily could have been a short story for all that actually went on.
Yeah, I'm gonna read the 3rd book - it's really well rated. But if you could get a brief synapsis of this one, I'd recommend that.

I read the third book. Stop reading after the first book. The following two are worth reading.

I've read a bunch of Sanderson and enjoyed all but books 2 & 3 of this series. ( )
  kwerle | Dec 13, 2017 |
Sanderson je PAN spisovatel! ( )
  Rhonnies | Nov 14, 2017 |
Vin's struggles with love and power inject the human element into Sanderson's engaging epic.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Aug 1, 2007)

This entertaining read will especially please those who always wanted to know what happened after the good guys won.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 18, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Phyllis Call,
Who may never understand my fantasy books, yet who taught me more about life - and therefore writing - than she can probably ever know
(Thanks, Grandma!)
The army crept like a dark stain along the horizon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356139, Mass Market Paperback)

Evil has been defeated. The war has just begun.

They did the impossible, deposing the godlike being whose brutal rule had lasted a thousand years. Now Vin, the street urchin who has grown into the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her, must build a healthy new society in the ashes of an empire.

They have barely begun when three separate armies attack. As the siege tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.

It may just be that killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

Vin, the former street urchin and protege of Kelsier, is now heir to the Mistborn and the new world Kelsier created. When a mad race of giants attempt to take the former capital, Luthadel, Vin and her rebel allies must save the city and its hidden cache of allomancy metals from siege.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,023,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible