The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

The Well of Ascension (edition 2008)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:romula
Title:The Well of Ascension
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:New York : Tor, 2008.
Collections:Your library, Fantasy
Rating:***
Tags:mistborn, fantasy

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

English (113)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (117)
Brandon Sanderson never fails to please. A thoroughly thought out plot. ( )
  OwenRochester | Feb 22, 2017 |
SPOILERS AHEAD. I liked the first book better. this book was slow paced at times and I got bored during some parts. some of the decisions made by the characters made me very frustrated. the ending was unexpected. I did suspect that Marsh was somehow betraying the crew but who could have guessed that ending?? there are so many mysteries that I want answers for. I started this series because I loved the Kingkiller chronicles last year and heard that this series is similar to it. to be honest I like the Kingkiller chronicles better. but I still enjoy the series and cannot wait to read what happens in the next book. ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
You can also read the review here Hi books! It's me JethPlain

*****Some Spoilers below*****

The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really liked it

*****Some Spoilers below*****

Alendi must not reach the Well of Ascension, for he must not be allowed to release the thing that is imprisoned there
Set a year after the Lord Ruler was killed, The Empire is in chaos. Without his iron hand to keep everyone in line, bandits are attacking the roads and canal areas, nobles are now kings of their own dominances and mists are acting strangely appearing in daylight and killing random people. With three armies sitting outside Luthadel waiting to attack to claim the Lord Ruler's precious Atium supply; the remaining members of Kelsier's crew and their new leader and King Elend Venture stuggle against the assembly to find other options instead of giving the city up to either Straff Venture , Ashweather Cett or Jaste Lekal and his army of Koloss. Despite the problems facing the central dominance .Vin finds herself to be more concerned with other matters. She keeps going back to the Lord Ruler's last words:

" You don't know what I do for mankind. I was your god, even if you couldn't see it. By killing me, you have doomed yourselves "

She feels that something is not right, especially now that she no longer finds solace in the mists, what with a create formed from them is watching her from afar and the thumping that she alone can hear in her head.

Aside from problems with running a kingdom threatened by others. We also get a better view in:

Vin and Elend's relationship
- They are now an official couple with Elend proposing to Vin (Somewhere after Misborn #1 and before the actual start of Mistborn #2) which she declined at the time. They learn that they are very different from each other and somewhat creates a strain in their relationship especially with Elend's mistborn half brother entering the scene and tries to manipulate Vin into thinking that he's just using her. But we need not worry, I don't even call it a love triangle. Vin and Elend know that they love each other it's just that they both they think they don't deserve one another because of their faults.

Sazed
- After the fall of the empire, he went back to his ways as a Keeper and went south to teach the people there about religion and advanced framing techniques. But he finds that he is no longer used to this kind of lifestyle. He also gets a love interest in the form of Twindyl, the Keeper who trains Elend on etiquettes of kingship.

Spook
- He grown taller since the first book but essentially is still a teenage boy trying his moves to get girls to notice him . He feels useless despite his Tineye powers which he seems to be using too much as is eyes are now slowly becoming more sensitive to normal lighting. He accompanies Elend and Vin in their travel to Terris.

Breeze
- After being assigned outside of Luthadel to soothe the rumors about Atium, he disappears for several months. He gets a love interest too in the form of Lady Allrianne, Cett's daughter.

Clubs
- He is now the general in Luthadel's army. He used to be an officer in the Lord Ruler 's army stopping rebellions. He develops a deeper friendship with Breeze who he can't stand to be around with in Misborn #1.

Ham
- I think that Ham doesn't have that much character development in this book. But I think he will have a spotlight in the 3rd book considering 2 of Kelsier's crew died in the second.

Dockson
Kelsier right-hand man. He dislikes nobilities but acknowledges that Elend is a good man. He just can't help feeling that Kelsier might be disappointed that they put a noble in the thrones when he work so hard to bring them down.

Marsh - turns dark in this book. Becoming more of an inquisitor calling them "brethren"

Some of the New Characters:

Allrianne Cett

description

She's a soother like Breeze, the only allomancer born in the Cett family after so many years.

Zane

description

Straff Venture's mistborn and Elend's half brother. He believes himself to be insane , and that he hears the voice of God telling him to kill everyone except Vin.

Twindwyl

description

A Keeper and member of the Synod. She spent the early part of her years in the breeding program for Terris people hiding from the breeders the fact that she is a feruchemist, therefore ensuring the line of feruchemists in the future of the Terris people.

Photos From:

Allrianne Cett by Anemone Ink

Zane by http://luaru.tumblr.com/

Tindwyl by http://luaru.tumblr.com/

View all my reviews (less) ( )
  jethplain | Feb 5, 2017 |
The Well of Ascension is the second in Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. Usually it takes an entire series to defeat the bad guys so everyone can live happily ever after. But what if that was only the beginning? What if Frodo threw the ring into Mount Doom in Fellowship of the Ring? What happens after evil has been defeated? This is the question that Sanderson asks and is the main premise of book two. It is an absolutely brilliant take on a classic genre trope.

It turns out that killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Vin and the crew are back, trying to keep society held together long enough for Elend Venture to put a new, more fair form of government in place. This is no easy task in the best of circumstances and, naturally, these are NOT good circumstances. The city of Luthadel is in an extended siege when three separate armies surround the city. Food is running short. Various factions in the city are scheming for ways to take power for themselves. The mists are changing, lasting longer into the day and even killing people. Vin patrols the night trying to keep Elend safe from assassins. It also appears the crew has a spy in their midst. While she may be the most powerful Mistborn in the land, she is only one person. The only hope may be in the legend of the Hero of Ages and the Well of Ascension, the place that gave the Lord Ruler his power. Assuming it really exists.

The cast of characters has grown. Most of the crew members are given point of view chapters as are the main antagonists. Elend Venture goes on quite a character arc. He starts off as a scholarly nobleman with high ideals and quickly learns just how different book knowledge is from the real world. He is forced to answer the question if a good man can make a good king or if he must compromise his own beliefs to save his fledgling kingdom. Vin has come a long way from the shy street urchin she used to be. She fully embraces her Mistborn powers and continues to use her gifts in unimaginable ways, becoming the greatest Mistborn in recent history. Vin has finally learned the value of friendship, how to trust and feels devastatingly betrayed when she learns one of her closest friends is likely a traitor. While the other characters don't go on as big of character arcs, all are well rounded, fully fleshed out and believable. I particularly loved the interactions between Sazed and Tindwyl, the two Terris Keepers. As much as I loved Sazed in book one, it was great to have Tindwyl to provide a contrast as to just how different a Keeper is based on their field of study. I also really enjoyed being introduced to the kandra OreSeur. Kandra are an inhuman race that have become fully subservient to humans as a means of self preservation. They have the amazing ability to absorb the bones of other creatures and take up their shapes and mannerisms. This is both a useful and concerning ability. Throughout the story as OreSeur's background is revealed, he became a surprisingly sympathetic character.

With a shift in plot comes a shift in tone for the story. Instead of a hero journey the characters are forced to face the brutal reality of leadership. There are still heroic moments and a ton of allomantic action. However a larger focus is on the political situation. This slows the pace down considerably and allows for a gradual build in tension until events almost literally explode. Sanderson has a gift for turning typical fantasy tropes on their head and the ending twist is a great example that I did not see coming at all. The main downside for me was the weird, psuedo love triangle Vin gets stuck in. Its one of the fantasy tropes that has started to grate on my nerves over the years due to over use. Thankfully the story is resolved in such a way that I don't think this will be an issue in the third installment.

Over all, the second installment lives up to the promise of the first book. I can't wait to find out how Vin's story ends. ( )
  Narilka | Dec 31, 2016 |
Everything I thought I knew from Final Empire is turned on its head!

Vin and Elend get married, Luthadel is sacked, but Vin realizes she has powers unlike any other Mistborn. Goes to the Well of Ascension to destroy the Deepness, only to set free some being that has been manipulating the Terris religion for that very purpose. The Hero of Ages is a deception wrought by this being.

Looking forward to the next volume. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Vin's struggles with love and power inject the human element into Sanderson's engaging epic.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Aug 1, 2007)

This entertaining read will especially please those who always wanted to know what happened after the good guys won.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 18, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Phyllis Call,
Who may never understand my fantasy books, yet who taught me more about life - and therefore writing - than she can probably ever know
(Thanks, Grandma!)
The army crept like a dark stain along the horizon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356139, Mass Market Paperback)

Evil has been defeated. The war has just begun.

They did the impossible, deposing the godlike being whose brutal rule had lasted a thousand years. Now Vin, the street urchin who has grown into the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her, must build a healthy new society in the ashes of an empire.

They have barely begun when three separate armies attack. As the siege tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.

It may just be that killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

"The impossible has been accomplished. The Lord Ruler - the man who claimed to be god incarnate and brutally ruled the world for a thousand years has been vanquished. But Kelsier, the hero who masterminded that triumph, is dead, too. The awesome task of building a new world has been left to his young protegee, Vin, the former street urchin who is now the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and to Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her. The Lord Ruler's empire has broken into its component parts. In the former imperial capital of Luthadel, Elend is the new king of the Central Dominance, ruling with the help of an elected assembly he insisted on, a body with the power to depose him. The new kings of the other Dominances - most notably, Elend's ruthless father, Straff Venture -aren't waiting on that chance, and assassination attempts are frequent.""Vin is wearing herself out trying to protect Elend. Stopping assassins does keep her Mistborn skills sharp, but it is not her only problem. As Kelsier's heir and slayer of the Lord Ruler, Yin is venerated by a rapidly growing new religion, a distinction that makes her intensely uncomfortable. Even more disturbing, the mists have begun behaving ominously since the Lord Ruler died and harbor a strange vaporous entity that seems to be haunting her." "Three armies - one composed of ferocious giants - are approaching to vie for Luthadel's conquest. The city's half-trained forces are insufficient to man lengthy walls never intended to foil a real attack. As the siege of Luthadel tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or exactly what manner of power it bestows.""All of these troubles whisper a single, chilling fact. Killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,414,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible