The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

The Well of Ascension (edition 2008)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:romula
Title:The Well of Ascension
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:New York : Tor, 2008.
Collections:Your library, Fantasy
Rating:***
Tags:mistborn, fantasy

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

English (106)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (110)
didn't really grab as much as the first book in the trilogy, but entertaining enough ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
They toppled an empire, now they must build a new one.

Well of Ascension asks “what happens after the heroes defeat the villain and topple the evil empire?” Now Vin and the others work to build a new empire, learning from the mistakes of the old one, and survive the ambitions of various opportunists.
This time the heroes are on the defensive, responding to threats from besieging armies, surprise assassins, and political factions. Their victory over the Lord Ruler earned them a fearsome reputation, and now Vin struggles to live up to that reputation. As observers other characters stand in awe of Vin’s abilities, but her own perspective reveals the enormous strain that she imposes on herself, as well as the isolating effect of her power.
The story makes strong use of 6 distinct perspectives to reveal a rich character based story. Where the first novel laid out a clear moral alignment, this story explores the relativity of right and wrong. The absence of a central villain leaves the plot more fragmented, driven by personal relationships instead of a larger conflict. Each scene advances one plot a small portion, before switching to a different one. The results can feel a little slow, but artfully so.

+Relationship driven subplots
+Strong ideas
*Fragmented storylines
*Political intrigue
-Slow at times

4/5 ( )
  adamg211 | Jun 2, 2016 |
The Final Empire was the first Brandon Sanderson book that I ever read, and I was immediately a fan of his. Let me say that The Well of Ascension has only made me a bigger fan. His style and detailed creativity are excellent, which explains why I breezed through this sizable book. At the risk of sounding too negative, I have two minor quibbles with TWOA:

1.) At times, I found myself unsympathetic towards Vin and her internal drama. She had a tough upbringing, and that has obviously given her some trust and attachment issues. I get it. But I found that Sanderson highlighted this inner turmoil to such an extent that I eventually just wanted Vin to get over it. Now, I may just be blaming the author for my own cold and indifferent heart, but I prefer to think that's not the case.

2.) The ending, which I won't give away, wasn't fully satisfying. I understand that The Well of Ascension was setting up the final installment of this trilogy, so it was necessary to leave some "loose ends." But I expected more of a climatic ending since The Final Empire set the precedent for the series. The Well of Ascension never really provided that. Regardless, the ending did cause me to rush to the third book, so I can't complain too much.

These two complaints of mine are minor, I know. Neither kept me from devouring the book. That's why I believe this book still deserves 5 stars. TWOA is the weakest link of the trilogy, but it is still a fantastic book when compared to those not in the series. Overall, it was a fun book that moves the reader deeper into the lives of Vin and her crew. Certainly worthy of your time. ( )
  codyacunningham | May 9, 2016 |
Didn't want it to end! ( )
  daniellamaria8 | Apr 9, 2016 |
This was epic. Great follow-up to the first one.

This trilogy impressed me. The premise is clever, the plot is clever, the mysteries and reveals are clever. I enjoyed all three, but I think this second one may be my overall favorite. Kandra are so cool. So cute, with their flesh-devouring ways. I like Vin, too. And even Sazed, although he gets tedious for me in Book 3. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
Vin's struggles with love and power inject the human element into Sanderson's engaging epic.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Aug 1, 2007)

This entertaining read will especially please those who always wanted to know what happened after the good guys won.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 18, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Phyllis Call,
Who may never understand my fantasy books, yet who taught me more about life - and therefore writing - than she can probably ever know
(Thanks, Grandma!)
The army crept like a dark stain along the horizon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356139, Mass Market Paperback)

Evil has been defeated. The war has just begun.

They did the impossible, deposing the godlike being whose brutal rule had lasted a thousand years. Now Vin, the street urchin who has grown into the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her, must build a healthy new society in the ashes of an empire.

They have barely begun when three separate armies attack. As the siege tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.

It may just be that killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

"The impossible has been accomplished. The Lord Ruler - the man who claimed to be god incarnate and brutally ruled the world for a thousand years has been vanquished. But Kelsier, the hero who masterminded that triumph, is dead, too. The awesome task of building a new world has been left to his young protegee, Vin, the former street urchin who is now the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and to Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her. The Lord Ruler's empire has broken into its component parts. In the former imperial capital of Luthadel, Elend is the new king of the Central Dominance, ruling with the help of an elected assembly he insisted on, a body with the power to depose him. The new kings of the other Dominances - most notably, Elend's ruthless father, Straff Venture -aren't waiting on that chance, and assassination attempts are frequent.""Vin is wearing herself out trying to protect Elend. Stopping assassins does keep her Mistborn skills sharp, but it is not her only problem. As Kelsier's heir and slayer of the Lord Ruler, Yin is venerated by a rapidly growing new religion, a distinction that makes her intensely uncomfortable. Even more disturbing, the mists have begun behaving ominously since the Lord Ruler died and harbor a strange vaporous entity that seems to be haunting her." "Three armies - one composed of ferocious giants - are approaching to vie for Luthadel's conquest. The city's half-trained forces are insufficient to man lengthy walls never intended to foil a real attack. As the siege of Luthadel tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or exactly what manner of power it bestows.""All of these troubles whisper a single, chilling fact. Killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,525,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible