The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

The Well of Ascension (edition 2008)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (2)

Member:romula
Title:The Well of Ascension
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:New York : Tor, 2008.
Collections:Your library, Fantasy
Rating:***
Tags:mistborn, fantasy

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

Recently added byConalO, ethanjclarke, private library, Shaidz, kpevjen, kazancapi, NineLarks

English (91)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (94)
I liked this almost as much as the first! And I'm pretty picky about sequels. Was happy to see everyone back, and there was one new Terrismen ally. Forgive my spellings, I listened to the audiobook. Among the new characters were a whole plethora of enemies, including faces for some of the men from the first book.

Having just finished it, the ending was hugely depressing in a surprising way. It seemed like it would end quite well until... well, right up until the end. As much as I hated the gloom from all sides, I did enjoy the outcome from Elend, and am very much looking forward to seeing more of him in book three. And as much as I disliked the ultimate outcome, I also enjoyed the clever way the twist occurred.

I also continued to enjoy Vin quite a bit. She's a very balanced character, and a strong female lead. She poses a threat to whole armies, but she needs balance from her friends in order to check herself, and I enjoyed the element that was trying to lead her astray throughout this volume.

Basically, loved the first book, and was surprised to see this volume maintain all of the momentum, something I rarely run across. Can't wait for the third, though I'm unsure what to think of the ambiguous threat at this point. ( )
  ConnieJo | Aug 18, 2014 |
A near-perfect second book in a series. Of course, it is the job of the middle book of a second book of a trilogy to really get on my nerves in a "always darkest before the dawn" way. This book succeeds better than most, meaning I was REALLY irritated/upset/desperate-for-book-three by the end.

This book is a success on all fronts with good character growth and a plot of its own making it not just the long rambling part between books 1 & 3. Even if it did really irritate me ;-) ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
Although it was slow to start, I did enjoy this. ( )
  infjsarah | Jun 1, 2014 |
The 2nd in the Mistborn trilogy picks up immediately after the first novel. From a continuity point of view, it was very consistent and the action continued in a predictable fashion. Unfortunately, most of the book was too predictable and slow. While realistic, the characters seemed to bumble around without a plan or making any attempt to affect the situation they were in. The exception was Elend, but his attempts to affect the situation usually failed. I found this tough to get through. The magic system was enough to sustain one book, but not two and there are just too many scenes of mistborn flying around just to do so. ( )
  Karlstar | May 25, 2014 |
That was an awesome book....i would really love to critique more and do a proper review like most people but the final book awaits me. ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
Vin's struggles with love and power inject the human element into Sanderson's engaging epic.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Aug 1, 2007)

This entertaining read will especially please those who always wanted to know what happened after the good guys won.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 18, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Phyllis Call,
Who may never understand my fantasy books, yet who taught me more about life - and therefore writing - than she can probably ever know
(Thanks, Grandma!)
The army crept like a dark stain along the horizon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356139, Mass Market Paperback)

Evil has been defeated. The war has just begun.

They did the impossible, deposing the godlike being whose brutal rule had lasted a thousand years. Now Vin, the street urchin who has grown into the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her, must build a healthy new society in the ashes of an empire.

They have barely begun when three separate armies attack. As the siege tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.

It may just be that killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:40 -0400)

"The impossible has been accomplished. The Lord Ruler - the man who claimed to be god incarnate and brutally ruled the world for a thousand years has been vanquished. But Kelsier, the hero who masterminded that triumph, is dead, too. The awesome task of building a new world has been left to his young protegee, Vin, the former street urchin who is now the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and to Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her. The Lord Ruler's empire has broken into its component parts. In the former imperial capital of Luthadel, Elend is the new king of the Central Dominance, ruling with the help of an elected assembly he insisted on, a body with the power to depose him. The new kings of the other Dominances - most notably, Elend's ruthless father, Straff Venture -aren't waiting on that chance, and assassination attempts are frequent.""Vin is wearing herself out trying to protect Elend. Stopping assassins does keep her Mistborn skills sharp, but it is not her only problem. As Kelsier's heir and slayer of the Lord Ruler, Yin is venerated by a rapidly growing new religion, a distinction that makes her intensely uncomfortable. Even more disturbing, the mists have begun behaving ominously since the Lord Ruler died and harbor a strange vaporous entity that seems to be haunting her." "Three armies - one composed of ferocious giants - are approaching to vie for Luthadel's conquest. The city's half-trained forces are insufficient to man lengthy walls never intended to foil a real attack. As the siege of Luthadel tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or exactly what manner of power it bestows.""All of these troubles whisper a single, chilling fact. Killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible