The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

The Well of Ascension (edition 2008)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:romula
Title:The Well of Ascension
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:New York : Tor, 2008.
Collections:Your library, Fantasy
Rating:***
Tags:mistborn, fantasy

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

Recently added byprivate library, lettoreardente, olemd, jharmes, nexist, direwolf124, Micah, cdnicoll

English (93)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (96)
Nice plot twist at the end, but I still feel that this book (like the first one) could have been half the length and much more effective. There's a lot of hanging around doing not much, and too many characters who are just too shallow for me to care about. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 1, 2015 |
a 6-8 hour read ( )
  librisissimo | Feb 10, 2015 |
I was really gripped by it till the last 150 pages or so.
The story is interesting with a great conflict setup.
Its not a thrill a minute ride as the first one was. This one is more like real life with mostly routine things punctuated by moments of fantastic fight sequences and great set pieces.
Allomancy is awesome. ( )
  kaipakartik | Feb 6, 2015 |
Another great book from this LDS author. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I liked this almost as much as the first! And I'm pretty picky about sequels. Was happy to see everyone back, and there was one new Terrismen ally. Forgive my spellings, I listened to the audiobook. Among the new characters were a whole plethora of enemies, including faces for some of the men from the first book.

Having just finished it, the ending was hugely depressing in a surprising way. It seemed like it would end quite well until... well, right up until the end. As much as I hated the gloom from all sides, I did enjoy the outcome from Elend, and am very much looking forward to seeing more of him in book three. And as much as I disliked the ultimate outcome, I also enjoyed the clever way the twist occurred.

I also continued to enjoy Vin quite a bit. She's a very balanced character, and a strong female lead. She poses a threat to whole armies, but she needs balance from her friends in order to check herself, and I enjoyed the element that was trying to lead her astray throughout this volume.

Basically, loved the first book, and was surprised to see this volume maintain all of the momentum, something I rarely run across. Can't wait for the third, though I'm unsure what to think of the ambiguous threat at this point. ( )
  ConnieJo | Aug 18, 2014 |
Vin's struggles with love and power inject the human element into Sanderson's engaging epic.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Aug 1, 2007)

This entertaining read will especially please those who always wanted to know what happened after the good guys won.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 18, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Phyllis Call,
Who may never understand my fantasy books, yet who taught me more about life - and therefore writing - than she can probably ever know
(Thanks, Grandma!)
The army crept like a dark stain along the horizon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356139, Mass Market Paperback)

Evil has been defeated. The war has just begun.

They did the impossible, deposing the godlike being whose brutal rule had lasted a thousand years. Now Vin, the street urchin who has grown into the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her, must build a healthy new society in the ashes of an empire.

They have barely begun when three separate armies attack. As the siege tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.

It may just be that killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:40 -0400)

"The impossible has been accomplished. The Lord Ruler - the man who claimed to be god incarnate and brutally ruled the world for a thousand years has been vanquished. But Kelsier, the hero who masterminded that triumph, is dead, too. The awesome task of building a new world has been left to his young protegee, Vin, the former street urchin who is now the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and to Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her. The Lord Ruler's empire has broken into its component parts. In the former imperial capital of Luthadel, Elend is the new king of the Central Dominance, ruling with the help of an elected assembly he insisted on, a body with the power to depose him. The new kings of the other Dominances - most notably, Elend's ruthless father, Straff Venture -aren't waiting on that chance, and assassination attempts are frequent.""Vin is wearing herself out trying to protect Elend. Stopping assassins does keep her Mistborn skills sharp, but it is not her only problem. As Kelsier's heir and slayer of the Lord Ruler, Yin is venerated by a rapidly growing new religion, a distinction that makes her intensely uncomfortable. Even more disturbing, the mists have begun behaving ominously since the Lord Ruler died and harbor a strange vaporous entity that seems to be haunting her." "Three armies - one composed of ferocious giants - are approaching to vie for Luthadel's conquest. The city's half-trained forces are insufficient to man lengthy walls never intended to foil a real attack. As the siege of Luthadel tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or exactly what manner of power it bestows.""All of these troubles whisper a single, chilling fact. Killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,742,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible