The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

The Well of Ascension (edition 2008)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:romula
Title:The Well of Ascension
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:New York : Tor, 2008.
Collections:Your library, Fantasy
Rating:***
Tags:mistborn, fantasy

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

English (103)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (107)
Didn't want it to end! ( )
  daniellamaria8 | Apr 9, 2016 |
This was epic. Great follow-up to the first one.

This trilogy impressed me. The premise is clever, the plot is clever, the mysteries and reveals are clever. I enjoyed all three, but I think this second one may be my overall favorite. Kandra are so cool. So cute, with their flesh-devouring ways. I like Vin, too. And even Sazed, although he gets tedious for me in Book 3. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
Wow. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
For a majority of this book, not a lot happens. Elend tries to keep his new government running, Vin struggles to figure out who she is, Sazed and Tindwyl study a lot. Oh yeah, and there are three armies just hanging out outside the city.

The character progression, though, makes up for the lack of plot progression. It's fascinating to watch Elend morph from scholar to king, Sazed transform from scholar to warrior to agnostic, OurSeur (or whatever his name is) become friends with Vin, and Vin finally accept who she is. Sanderson has a remarkable talent for pacing and worldbuilding, but he's also a master at creating interesting characters that grow and evolve. I love just watching them.

I think I was asleep the last time I read this trilogy, because I thought most of the events of this book happened in the next one. I have no idea what happens in book 3, except for the last few pages. And I completely forgot the major detail that Elend becomes Mistborn. Not that I'm complaining or anything--it's been fun to re-discover these books. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jan 31, 2016 |
I like the story, but this book is highly political and highly philosophical. Combined with the dystopian Dark Ages depression "feel", I had a hard time getting through it all. It's still a great story, and more of the magic system is uncovered that wasn't explained in the first book of the series, but overall, I felt this book was just flat. The ending wasn't really that spectacular, like is typically Sanderson. Overall, for me, it was just "okay". ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
Vin's struggles with love and power inject the human element into Sanderson's engaging epic.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Aug 1, 2007)

This entertaining read will especially please those who always wanted to know what happened after the good guys won.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 18, 2007)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Phyllis Call,
Who may never understand my fantasy books, yet who taught me more about life - and therefore writing - than she can probably ever know
(Thanks, Grandma!)
The army crept like a dark stain along the horizon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356139, Mass Market Paperback)

Evil has been defeated. The war has just begun.

They did the impossible, deposing the godlike being whose brutal rule had lasted a thousand years. Now Vin, the street urchin who has grown into the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her, must build a healthy new society in the ashes of an empire.

They have barely begun when three separate armies attack. As the siege tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.

It may just be that killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

"The impossible has been accomplished. The Lord Ruler - the man who claimed to be god incarnate and brutally ruled the world for a thousand years has been vanquished. But Kelsier, the hero who masterminded that triumph, is dead, too. The awesome task of building a new world has been left to his young protegee, Vin, the former street urchin who is now the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and to Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her. The Lord Ruler's empire has broken into its component parts. In the former imperial capital of Luthadel, Elend is the new king of the Central Dominance, ruling with the help of an elected assembly he insisted on, a body with the power to depose him. The new kings of the other Dominances - most notably, Elend's ruthless father, Straff Venture -aren't waiting on that chance, and assassination attempts are frequent.""Vin is wearing herself out trying to protect Elend. Stopping assassins does keep her Mistborn skills sharp, but it is not her only problem. As Kelsier's heir and slayer of the Lord Ruler, Yin is venerated by a rapidly growing new religion, a distinction that makes her intensely uncomfortable. Even more disturbing, the mists have begun behaving ominously since the Lord Ruler died and harbor a strange vaporous entity that seems to be haunting her." "Three armies - one composed of ferocious giants - are approaching to vie for Luthadel's conquest. The city's half-trained forces are insufficient to man lengthy walls never intended to foil a real attack. As the siege of Luthadel tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or exactly what manner of power it bestows.""All of these troubles whisper a single, chilling fact. Killing the Lord Ruler was the easy part. Surviving the aftermath of his fall is going to be the real challenge."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible