Fatherland by Robert Harris

Fatherland (1992)

by Robert Harris

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    Enigma by Robert Harris (dbourrion)
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (bertilak)
    Dominion by C. J. Sansom (marieke54)
    The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad (bertilak)
    Farthing by Jo Walton (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two alternate wwii mysteries. Walton's is more literary and thematically more complex.
    Imperium by Robert Harris (HenriMoreaux)
    HenriMoreaux: Another great Robert Harris book
    The Afrika Reich by Guy Saville (Roberto1122)

English (54)  French (5)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (64)
A 'what if' work of alternative fiction that focuses on a Nazi-dominated Europe of the 1960s. Very slow moving, yet the ending is well worth the toil of memorizing names and alternative geography.

While it's not clear what pushed the Nazis to victory, Harris gives enough clues to afford the reader the ability to draw their own conclusions. However, Nazi victory also means that the world was never able to prove the existence of German 'KZs', particularly the notorious death camps of the Holocaust. The murder of a high-ranking Nazi official forces our main character (an ex-sailor with no strong love for the Nazi party) down a path that brings him to the horrible realization that such camps not only existed, but were the endpoints of the disappearances of millions of Jews, homosexuals, and those deem undesirable by the Nazis. Through self-sacrifice, the main character is able to send information of these atrocities to the rest of the world, and find out for himself that places such as Auschwitz once existed, even if they had been torn down and hidden away in this alternative universe. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
Fatherland

Brilliant alternative history book where Germany after winning WWII a preparing for a visit of the U.S. President. But after a police officer finds a naked man killed at the river, what he found during the investigation, can change everything...

Enigma
A matemathician returns to Bletchey park just to find himself in the middle of an mysterious spy game where surprises waiting for the reader even on the last pages. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Mar 4, 2015 |
I thought Fatherland was such a good read! Alternate history intrigues me and I think this particular point in history is one of the most speculated about when it comes to 'what if's'.

To begin with I found it hard to lose myself in the alternate reality because my mind kept trying to correct what I was reading and saying 'No, no, no, that's now how it was/is'. But several chapters in and I was sucked into the pages and loving it.

Some might say the characters are a bit hackneyed; loner cop, dumped by his wife for overworking, estranged from his kid, meets much younger feisty heroine who he hooks up with no problem, antagonist is a bad bully with no redeeming features....and, and, and. You get the idea. But really, why fix it if it isn't broken? All those very things and more are what make this book great. The alternate ending to WWII means we're taken out of our comfort zone and those other constants give us something familiar to work with.

That's where the familiarity ends though, the story itself is slick, well constructed and highly enjoyable but imaginative use of 'what if' takes us to places that I for one am glad I'll never see. In this fantasy regime, things are grim. There's everything to hope for and nothing to lose.

I gave this to my dad to read and he loved it too. He lived through things the first time around and says Robert Harris has put into words everything he feared at the time and he's glad he only had to read about it.... and not live it. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
First Read in 1993. Engaging thriller set in 1964 Germany - post WWII in a world where the Nazis have won. ( )
  starkravingmad | Oct 19, 2014 |
This one is hyped up massively. But there really are no real surprises here in this by the book detective thriller. Does it get the rave reviews because of the weird fascination felt by people for the nazis? Perhaps. It won't blow you away, and if it does, you really need to read more. ( )
  polarbear123 | Oct 12, 2014 |

Robert Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galle, HubertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindholm, JuhaniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The hundred million self-confident German masters were to be brutally installed in Europe, and secured in power by a monopoly of technical civilisation and the slave-labour of a dwindling native population of neglected, diseased, illiterate cretins, in order that they might have the leisure to buzz along infinite Autobahnen, admire the Strength-Through-Joy Hostel, the Party headquarters, the Military Museum and the Planetarium which their Führer would have built in Linz (his new Hitleropolis), trot round local picture-galleries, and listen over their cream buns to endless recordings of The Merry Widow. This was to be the German Millenium, from which even the imagination was to have no means of escape.
Hugh Trevor-Roper
The Mind of Adolf Hitler
People sometimes say to me: 'Be careful! You will have twenty years of guerilla warfare on your hands!' I am delighted at the prospect ... Germany will remain in a state of perpetual alertness.
Adolf Hitler
29 August 1942
To Gill
Thick cloud had pressed down on Berlin all night, and now it was lingering into what passed for the morning.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061006629, Mass Market Paperback)

It is twenty years after Nazi Germany's triumphant victory in World War II and the entire country is preparing for the grand celebration of the FÜhrer's seventy-fifth birthday, as well as the imminent peacemaking visit from President Kennedy.

Meanwhile, Berlin Detective Xavier March -- a disillusioned but talented investigation of a corpse washed up on the shore of a lake. When a dead man turns out to be a high-ranking Nazi commander, the Gestapo orders March off the case immediately. Suddenly other unrelated deaths are anything but routine.

Now obsessed by the case, March teams up with a beautiful, young American journalist and starts asking questions...dangerous questions. What they uncover is a terrifying and long-concealed conspiracy of such astonding and mind-numbing terror that is it certain to spell the end of the Third Reich -- if they can live long enough to tell the world about it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:59 -0400)

Unveils the living nightmare of a world planned by the Nazis in reality, but never achieved. It illuminates the trail taken by the loner March, leading him to the discoveries of wartime corruption, Swiss bank vaults, love, danger, and - most terrifying of all - the black heart of the Nazi state.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,926,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible