The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientist…

The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientist Club) (original 1965; edition 2011)

by Bertrand R. Brinley, Charles Geer (Illustrator)

339832,207 (4.25)1 / 13
Member:Eurekas
Title:The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientist Club)
Authors:Bertrand R. Brinley
Other authors:Charles Geer (Illustrator)
Info:Purple House Press (2011), Edition: 50th Anniversary Edition, Hardcover, 217 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Children's Fiction / American

The Mad Scientists' Club by Bertrand R. Brinley (1965)

Fun boys' adventure story with some thoughtful elements. I liked that the brainy kid was valued for the clever things he would think up. I look forward to discussing this with the Vintage Book Circle. ( )
  njcur | Feb 18, 2014 |
One of the the all time greats! This book helped to shape my life 30 years ago and I re-read the book every couple of years. ( )
  ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |
Loved it as a 5th grader reading several grade higher books, (yes a geek/nerd). Still a good gift for the right youngster. ( )
  JonLarson | Aug 31, 2010 |
The Mad Scientists' Club by Bertrand Brinley is a winner for many reasons. First, Mr. Brinley was a scientist so many of his descriptions and details are fairly accurate. Second, the dynamics of the the boys themselves are true and real to life. Someone is trying to be the leader, someone is trying to usurp power, and there is always that kid that gets stuck with the bad job! The boys argue and fight a bit, but in the end...it is all for one and one for all. They are constantly trying to outsmart adults or play innocent pranks on people. What is also neat about this book is that it is divided into chapters that read like stand alone stories. You can set it down and come back to it and if you have forgotten what happened last it doesn't really matter! A must read and I'm glad it is finally back in print! ( )
  srssrs | Oct 4, 2009 |
Found a battered copy of this one for my boys some years back. Read it aloud to them and they enjoyed it immensely. I note there's been a relatively recent re-issue (2002), so I guess the book still has appeal. I'm glad. This one enlivened my childhood; I read my copy until it literally fell apart... ( )
  CliffBurns | Apr 28, 2009 |

Bertrand R. Brinleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Geer, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contents:

The Strange Sea Monster of Strawberry Lake (1960)

Night Rescue (1961)

The Unidentified Flying Man of Mammoth Falls (1962)

The Secret of the Old Cannon (1963)

The Great Gas Bag Race (1964)

The Big Egg (1964)

The Voice in the Chimney (1964)

A strange sea monster appears on the lake ...a fortune is unearthed from an old cannon ...a valuable dinosaur egg is stolen. Watch out as the Mad Scientists turn Mammoth Falls upside down!

Take seven, lively, "normal" boys -- one an inventive genius -- give them a clubhouse for cooking up ideas, an electronics lab above the town hardware store, and a good supply of Army surplus equipment, and you, dear reader, have a boyhood dream come true and a situation that bears watching.

In the hands of an author whose own work involved technological pioneering, the proceedings are well worth undivided attention, as the boys explore every conceivable possibility for high and happy adventure in the neighborhood of Mammoth Falls. To the unutterable confusion of the local dignitaries -- and the unalloyed delight of Bertrand Brinley's fans -- the young heroes not only outwit their insidious rival, Harmon Muldoon, but emerge as town heroes. Here, captured under one cover, are the fun-filled escapades of the young scientists whose exciting capers debuted in Boys' Life magazine 40 years ago.

First Kindle edition, complete with all of Charles Geer's illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:10 -0400)

The six members of the Mad Scientists' Club experiment with new projects which include investigating a strange sea monster and the theft of a valuable dinosaur egg.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,570,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible