Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis

Crooked Little Vein (2007)

by Warren Ellis

English (55)  French (2)  German (1)  All (58)
Quick, entertaining read, laced with a healthy reminder that people are really weird. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | May 27, 2017 |

Is this book for you? If you're not familiar with the words "Godzilla Bukkake", probably not.

Not for the faint of heart...Men who have sex with drugged ostriches are far from the strangest situation that we can find in this book lol

Dark humour abounds. The novel uses all the artifacts of classical pulp era and Ellis' ability to attract the weirdest elements of contemporary society and weave it all together into a coherent whole is nothing short of magnificent.

From Godzilla Bukkake, to genital saline injections, Jesus sex toys, and even worse. I would say that delicate natures should stay away from the book.

Last but not least: The novel is very funny." ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
One of the funniest (and foulest) books that I've ever read, & holds up well on re-reading. Mike is a down-on-his-luck detective who attracts bizarre clients and even more bizarre cases. He's approached by a powerful politician and asked to track down a missing book: an alternate US Constitution. Things quickly go awry in the most horrifying and hilarious way possible. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
Framed as a standard hard-boiled, down-on-his-luck P.I. novel, Crooked Little Vein takes the reader on a dark, viciously funny journey through 'the underbelly' of America. The lovably inept (or at least flinchy) narrator is in way too deep as shock after cultural shock assaults his sensibilities.

But Ellis doesn't leave Crooked Little Vein as a spleen-venting manifesto against America's (and the First World's) hypocritical standards of Morality and Justice; he slyly manages to skewer the whole concept'counter-culture' and the commodification of it.

What is mainstream? What is 'edgy' and 'depraved'? I could try to make up some a**-kickin' simile to get you hyped up about Crooked Little Vein, but at it's core this is an extremely smart satire of modern (web)culture, with very human concerns... ( )
  VladVerano | Oct 20, 2015 |
placeholder9 ( )
  jrthebutlertest | Sep 23, 2015 |
Ellis is a great storyteller, and this little sucker just rips along. I just finished it in 90 minutes on an airplane and it left me hungry for more.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jul 26, 2007)

To Niki and Lili, for continuing to put up with me,
and to the memory of my father
I opened my eyes to see the rat taking a piss in my coffee mug.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060723939, Hardcover)

Michael McGill is a burned-out private detective who suddenly becomes enlisted by an army of presidential goons to retrieve the Constitution of the United States, but not the one we all know about. This would be the real Constitution (the one with invisible amendments) created by some of the Founding Fathers as a fallback for their great experiment. Along the way, McGill gains a polyamorous sidekick named Trix, gets scared to death by what men do with warm salty water, and descends into a world where crime, sex, and madness all seem to be the same thing.

Full of mind-bending style and packed with a wild cast of characters, Crooked Little Vein infuses Robert B. Parker with Kurt Vonnegut and the madness of the graphic-novel world. A surprisingly surreal treat, it will appeal to hardcore comic fans, mystery aficionados, and all readers looking for a riotous summer reading adventure.

Sample Chapter One of Crooked Little Vein

"Chapter One. I opened my eyes to see the rat taking a piss in my coffee mug. It was a huge brown bastard; had a body like a turd with legs and beady black eyes full of secret rat knowledge."

Crooked Little Vein puts you right in the gutter from the first sentence and doesn't let up. Sample the goods with a look at the complete first chapter, and see if you don't get hooked.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

Burned-out private detective Michael McGill is covertly hired to locate an alternative fallback version of the Constitution, an assignment that is complicated by a polyamorous sidekick and a haphazard introduction to an unorthodox use of warm saltwater.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible