dismiss

My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan…

My Sister, the Serial Killer (original 2017; edition 2019)

by Oyinkan Braithwaite (Author)

"Satire meets slasher in this short, darkly funny hand grenade of a novel about a Nigerian woman whose younger sister has a very inconvenient habit of killing her boyfriends. "Femi makes three, you know. Three and they label you a serial killer." Korede is bitter. How could she not be? Her sister, Ayoola, is many things: the favorite child, the beautiful one, possibly sociopathic. And now Ayoola's third boyfriend in a row is dead. Korede's practicality is the sisters' saving grace. She knows the best solutions for cleaning blood, the trunk of her car is big enough for a body, and she keeps Ayoola from posting pictures of her dinner to Instagram when she should be mourning her "missing" boyfriend. Not that she gets any credit. A kind, handsome doctor at the hospital where Korede works is the bright spot in her life. She dreams of the day when he will realize they're perfect for each other. But one day Ayoola shows up to the hospital uninvited and he takes notice. When he asks Korede for Ayoola's phone number, she must reckon with what her sister has become and what she will do about it. Sharp as nails and full of deadpan wit, Oyinkan Braithwaite has written a deliciously deadly debut that's as fun as it is frightening"-- "Slasher meets satire, in this darkly comic novel set in Nigeria about a woman whose younger sister has a very inconvenient habit of killing her boyfriends"--… (more)
Member:bibliovermis
Title:My Sister, the Serial Killer
Authors:Oyinkan Braithwaite (Author)
Info:Anchor (2019), Edition: Reprint, 240 pages
Collections:2020, Your library
Tags:fiction, suspense, crime, relationships, misogyny, family, sisters, culture, nigeria, satire

My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite (2017)

Blackbird: A Novel by Michael Fiegel (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Issues of loyalty come to the fore in both darkly humorous books starring complex sociopaths and the people who love them.

English (127)  Piratical (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (130)
4 strong stars. Two sisters. One a nurse, one a psychopathic serial killer. I really enjoyed this story; but, most of all, I enjoyed the writing. Many people probably believe that longer sentences and flowery prose and imagery are the sign of good writing. I disagree. I am always more impressed by writers who can write concisely. To have each word and sentence be meaningful and without filler or bullshit. This book was a lean, mean, addictive and fun from start to finish. It is paced like a thriller but makes moves like a comedy. ( )
  jonathanpapz | Jul 2, 2020 |
ugh her mind. ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
A quick & humourous read! Contains a few laugh out loud moments. Not really read anything like it before the way its set out not much of a plot more of a monologue style with no real beginning, middle & end. Despite that a good read that I very much enjoyed. ( )
  kymisan | Jun 23, 2020 |
It is amazing, twisted, but amazing.
As an older sister myself, I hate my siblings but I'm willing to fight anyone for them, therefore I kind of understand and can relate to Korede. Piecing the puzzles of the dynamics of the sisters and what they do is fun. Again, as a woman, I think I can understand where the sisters came from to where they are.
I'm not saying what they do is right. They're both suffering mental health issues and need help. The writing is just the right ratio of sarcastic sneer and serious mental health problems. It shows what a patriarchic household could do to its girls. It doesn't discuss mental health but shines a light on the topic.
I feel like I should be scared of the sisters and their twisted nature. But at the end, it really feels like I could easily be one of them and the thought itself is scarier then Korede and Ayoola. ( )
  KLHtet | Jun 17, 2020 |
A quick and engaging read. Even though her actions are morally questionable, the writing ensures the narrator Korede is both likeable and believable. ( )
  Georgina_Watson | Jun 14, 2020 |
Without aiming for a grand narrative or stuffing the prose with political history as Nigerian novelists are often tempted, Braithwaite entertains. Braithwaite does provide a candid take on under-discussed social issues but in place of grand commentary about the government and public life, she looks inward and forces a reflection on the problems of the family, and how families can distort people’s lives.

It’s strikingly original. Braithwaite sets the Offspring-like inner workings of the hospital, and an almost Mills & Boon style – sisters squabbling over the central love interest, the too-good-to-be-true Dr Tade – against a ruthless examination of a culture where Korede’s father beats his daughters and wife as he tries to sell Ayoola off to a local chief, who points out the 14-year-old girls he wants to marry with his bejewelled cane. At its heart is the idea of beauty and how far it can take you, how quickly it morphs into ugliness.

In one respect, it’s classic noir: actions have consequences that are inevitable – but the ending is worlds away from that bleak style, and the pitch-black humour, coupled with the sweltering heat of Lagos, gives a very different feel.

With a deadly aim, Braithwaite lobs jokes, japes and screwball comedy at the reader. Only after you turn the last page do you realize that, as with many brilliant comic writers before her, laughter for Braithwaite is as good for covering up pain as bleach is for masking the smell of blood.

Braithwaite leaves the reader wondering which of these two sisters is more damaged: the killer, or the killer’s faithful rescuer.

Braithwaite, Oyinkanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oduye, AdeperoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windsor, Michael J.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, whom I love very much:

Akin, Tokunbo, Obafunke, Siji, Ore
Ayoola summons me with these words -- Korede, I killed him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,645,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible