House of Gold by Natasha Solomons

House of Gold (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Natasha Solomons (Author)

Member:JLSMEG
Title:House of Gold
Authors:Natasha Solomons (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2018), 448 pages
Collections:To read
Tags:Historical Fiction, Arranged Marriage, England, Family, WWI

House of Gold by Natasha Solomons (2018)

House of Gold by Natasha Solomons is the story of the European, Jewish Goldbaum family in the years leading to and during World War I. The historical context makes both the location and the faith of the family integral to the story. The history in the book is interesting because I have read much more about World War II than the onset of World War I. The story in this book unfortunately gets muddled because there are so many subplots. It is sometimes challenging to know where the main story lies.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2019/02/house-of-gold.html

Reviewed for Penguin First to Read program. ( )
  njmom3 | Feb 28, 2019 |
A vast novel taking place in Europe in the early twentieth century. The focus is on an arranged marriage between two branches of the Goldbaum banking family. The Austrian branch sends a young lady (Greta) to England to wed her distant cousin (Albert). The marriage bonds the two branches to their mutual benefit. The primary backdrop here is the period just before and during WW1 and it's affect on the two branches. The fact that they are Jewish plays into the plot. I think that anyone who enjoys historical fiction will like this one. ( )
  muddyboy | Feb 20, 2019 |
Greta and Otto Goldbaum grow up as the two children of the House of Gold in Vienna. Greta marries Albert (a Goldbaum distant cousin from Britain) and becomes adept at gardening to fend off loneliness in Britain. Otto pursues astronomy before he has to learn the banking business as the heir to Vienna's House of Gold. The stories center around Greta and Otto, their lives as wealthy Jews, and the effect that World War I had on them and the other houses of gold throughout Europe. This was a very good historical fiction read although I do not know enough about finance during WWI to comment on the accuracy of this book. ( )
  baughga | Jan 29, 2019 |
This novel follows the lives of the Goldbaum family, a family of Jewish bankers that spread their influence across Europe in the years before World War I. Immensely wealthy, the family members still have their struggles - Greta and Albert with their arranged marriage, Henri with the mistress he wants to marry, Otto is unable to pursue his love of astronomy. They all find themselves hopelessly unprepared for war to break out and the consequences of war for their family and business. Overall, this was a good read and I would highly recommend it for historical fiction fans. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Dec 29, 2018 |
I received this book as an early release. It was so good. The characters are so detailed and richly described. The story is of a old European family rich in history and money, but it begins to change as war come and modernization. Everything changes. Go get this read it’s great. ( )
  Bethgarvinloflin1 | Dec 18, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,416,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible