When the Lights Go Out by Mary Kubica

When the Lights Go Out (2018)

by Mary Kubica

I wasn't wild about this book. I felt no compassion for either of the main characters - Eden (mother) and Jessie (daughter) - mainly just irritation. Also didn't care for the ending - I felt duped, and there were too many important, loose ends that were not tied up. Actually, I had that very same complaint about the last Kubica book I read as well ("Every Last Lie"). Not one of her better books. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Mar 10, 2019 |
This book has the familiar structure of Mr. Kubica's other books. There are two narrator offering their point of views in different timelines, converging on the central curiosity of the story.

Here, it's mother and daughter telling the stories that lead up to the curiosity of her birth. Why can't she find her birth records?

It was just compelling enough with twists and turns to keep me going to the end. But the ending was horrible and the truth about one of the storylines made me want to throw the book against the wall. ( )
  dougcornelius | Jan 24, 2019 |
Everything you think is completely wrong!!! This one threw me for a loop.
As an insomniac myself, I completely sympathized with Jessie Sloane as she struggled to sleep. Her mom, Eden, was dying, and Jessie was keeping watch over her mother.
Then, her mom is gone, and Jessie still can't sleep. But, she tries to "find herself" per her mother's wishes, and in doing so, discovers some very strange things about herself, leading her to question everything about her mother and herself.
You make so many assumptions as you read through this book, but when you get to the end, you will find that the whole book was a clever deception!
Quick read - just a few hours start to finish.
#WhenTheLightsGoOut #MaryKubica
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Many people love Mary Kubica’s books. I’m not one of them. I’m sorry to say that because I always want to love what I’m reading. However, after reading two of her books, I’ve decided she’s not for me.

WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT strikes me as a book for young adults, one I would have liked when I was a teenager. So, if you’re a teenager, try it. But I’m way past YA.

Three stories are going on here, all connected but in different timelines. Two are Eden’s stories, the other one Jessie’s. It’s easy to figure out how Jessie and Eden are connected long before Kubica spells it out.

Eden’s stories are too soap opera-ish, too repetitious. She wants a baby and thinks she will do anything to get one.

Jessie is sleepy all the time in her story. Much of it doesn’t make sense, but I decided that was because of lack of sleep. And I’m sure that is what Kubica meant for the reader to think so she would be surprised in the end. But I wasn’t just surprised; I was disappointed to put it mildly. To be honest, I was angry because I felt like all the time I spent reading Jessie’s story was wasted.

If you are one of the readers who likes Kubica’s books, pick this one up. Then you’ll see what I mean.

I won this book through bookreviewsandmorebykathy@gmail.com. ( )
  techeditor | Jan 21, 2019 |
I like suspense books, so I was immediately attracted to the book when I read the brief.

It is a little hard to get used to the arrangement of chapters and skipping between past and present but after the first chapters are already used to writing, enter the plot and wait anxiously to solve the mystery.
Overall it's A suspenseful book that keeps you tense until the last seconds of reading. It also combines romance, tension, surprise.

Recommended reading. ( )
  IVOLOKITA | Jan 9, 2019 |

Jessie Sloane is on the path to rebuilding her life after years of caring for her ailing mother. She rents a new apartment and applies for college. But when the college informs her that her social security number has raised a red flag, Jessie discovers a shocking detail that causes her to doubt everything she's ever known. Finding herself suddenly at the center of a bizarre mystery, Jessie tumbles down a rabbit hole, which is only exacerbated by grief and a relentless lack of sleep. As days pass and the insomnia worsens, it plays with Jessie's mind. Her judgment is blurred, her thoughts are hampered by fatigue. Jessie begins to see things until she can no longer tell the difference between what's real and what she's only imagined. Meanwhile, twenty years earlier and two hundred and fifty miles away, another woman's split-second decision may hold the key to Jessie's secret past. Has Jessie's whole life been a lie or have her delusions gotten the best of her?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,373,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible