To the Far Blue Mountains by Louis L'Amour

I love all L'Amour's books but the Sackett books are some of the best I've ever read. This is the second book in the series and I must say that I have enjoyed it. A slightly different flavor than what I am used to with L'Amour's works but very good. Have the tissues ready and a few laughs and all in all a very good read. Thought provoking. ( )
  Kathleen.Vess | Sep 12, 2018 |
In this sequel to Sackett's Land we find our protagonist trying to escape his native England to return to the American wilderness that he loves. On the way he makes friends, defeats enemies, and has several adventures.

I liked this installment a little better than the first, but both are enjoyable and engaging reads. ( )
  fuzzi | Aug 24, 2018 |
This book continues the story of Barnabas Sackett and introduces his sons Kin, Yance, and Jubal Sackett who show up in later books in the series. People familiar with North Carolina will recognize Native American tribe names and landmarks.

The story is a good one. I thought the second sight incidents were interesting as foreshadowing. I will issue a tissue warning.

Who will like it? It is good historical fiction. If you like L'Amour's Westerns, you'll most likely enjoy this. If you like fiction about historical North Carolina, you'll probably like it. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | May 29, 2016 |
An interesting story, and not the usual Louis L'amour tale - this one is filled with pirates, and the settling of the east by a small band led by Sackett before Jamestown. It had some pacing problems which is not normal for a Louis L'amour novel. The characters are more Davy Crockett than Clint Eastwood-esque, which was interesting. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
The second Sackett adventure here gives some more of the grand adventure that we saw in Sackett's Land, but with somewhat less impact in my opinion. I thought Sackett's Land left off nicely setting us up for adventures in the New World, and that we didn't need so much another completely Barnabas story. His sons were introduced well here, and I am looking forward to reading more an them.

L'Amour seems to like having a large number of characters in Barnabas' periphery, but they all seem to be the same character and usually the only way to tell them apart is by name. I would have liked to see fewer, more distinct characters.

The story also seemed to get sidetracked by a mystical element related in a few scenes. This didn't seem to move the story along at all, and the drama we were supposed to feel in it felt forced. Maybe it will be more prominent in the later books, but even so I feel that it either should be integrated more naturally or shouldn't be included here at all.

Aside from those complaints, still a fun read. ( )
1 vote yesssman | Sep 2, 2012 |
To Oscar and Marian Dystel
My horse, good beast that he was, stood steady, ears pricked to listen, as were mine.
For land beyond the mountains is ever a dream and a challenge, and each generation needs that, that dream of some far-off place to go.

Filled with exciting tales of the frontier, the chronicle of the Sackett family is perhaps the crowning achievement of one of our greatest storytellers. In To the Far Blue Mountains, Louis L'Amour weaves an unforgettable tale of a man who journeys to his homeland — but discovers that finding his way back to America may be impossible....Barnabas Sackett was leaving England forever to find his fortune in the New World. But as he settled his affairs, he learned that a warrant from Queen Elizabeth had been sworn against him — and that men were searching for him in every port. At issue were some rare gold coins Sackett had found and sold — coins believed to be part of a great treasure lost by King John years before. Believing that Sackett possesses the rest of the treasure, the Queen will stop at nothing to find him. And if he's caught, Sackett will face torture — and even the gallows....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553276883, Mass Market Paperback)

TO THE FAR BLUE MOUNTAINS

In To the Far Blue Mountains, Louis L’Amour weaves the unforgettable tale of a man who, after returning to his homeland, discovers that finding his way back to America may be impossible.

Barnabas Sackett was leaving England to make his fortune in the New World. But as he settled his affairs, he learned that a royal warrant had been sworn out against him and that men were searching for him in every port. At issue were some rare gold coins Sackett had sold to finance his first trip to the Americas—coins believed to be part of a great treasure lost by King John years before.

Believing that Sackett possesses the rest of the treasure, Queen Bess will stop at nothing to find him. If he’s caught, not only will his dream of a life in America be lost, but he will be brutally tortured and put to death on the gallows.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

Barnabas Sackett carves a place for himself, his growing family, and a few close friends out of the harsh landscape.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,827,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible