To the Far Blue Mountains by Louis L'Amour
Recently added byDMaki, private library, twp77, wespector, Lauren_Jane, Kathleen.HIll, MaryAlice48, Mhwelton

The second Sackett adventure here gives some more of the grand adventure that we saw in Sackett's Land, but with somewhat less impact in my opinion. I thought Sackett's Land left off nicely setting us up for adventures in the New World, and that we didn't need so much another completely Barnabas story. His sons were introduced well here, and I am looking forward to reading more an them.

L'Amour seems to like having a large number of characters in Barnabas' periphery, but they all seem to be the same character and usually the only way to tell them apart is by name. I would have liked to see fewer, more distinct characters.

The story also seemed to get sidetracked by a mystical element related in a few scenes. This didn't seem to move the story along at all, and the drama we were supposed to feel in it felt forced. Maybe it will be more prominent in the later books, but even so I feel that it either should be integrated more naturally or shouldn't be included here at all.

Aside from those complaints, still a fun read. ( )
1 vote yesssman | Sep 2, 2012 |
Wow, what a long boring read! L'Amour at his longwindedness best, I suppose. We learn the fate of Barnabus Sackett and get a brief introduction to his sons. I'm looking forward to the next installment and can only hope that Louis preaches less and tells more. ( )
  clif_hiker | Sep 21, 2009 |
Another great Sackett book. I really enjoy books that take characters you know from previous stories and give you more about them and more about their lives. ( )
  jcdemo | Aug 27, 2008 |
Second volume of the Sackett series. Finishes the story of Barnabas, the founder of the family. Most of the action involves sailing, pirates, and exploring untouched wilderness. Sets up Barnabas' sons nicely for further adventures. ( )
  MerryMary | Aug 21, 2007 |
To Oscar and Marian Dystel
My horse, good beast that he was, stood steady, ears pricked to listen, as were mine.

Filled with exciting tales of the frontier, the chronicle of the Sackett family is perhaps the crowning achievement of one of our greatest storytellers. In To the Far Blue Mountains, Louis L'Amour weaves an unforgettable tale of a man who journeys to his homeland — but discovers that finding his way back to America may be impossible....Barnabas Sackett was leaving England forever to find his fortune in the New World. But as he settled his affairs, he learned that a warrant from Queen Elizabeth had been sworn against him — and that men were searching for him in every port. At issue were some rare gold coins Sackett had found and sold — coins believed to be part of a great treasure lost by King John years before. Believing that Sackett possesses the rest of the treasure, the Queen will stop at nothing to find him. And if he's caught, Sackett will face torture — and even the gallows....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553276883, Mass Market Paperback)

TO THE FAR BLUE MOUNTAINS

In To the Far Blue Mountains, Louis L’Amour weaves the unforgettable tale of a man who, after returning to his homeland, discovers that finding his way back to America may be impossible.

Barnabas Sackett was leaving England to make his fortune in the New World. But as he settled his affairs, he learned that a royal warrant had been sworn out against him and that men were searching for him in every port. At issue were some rare gold coins Sackett had sold to finance his first trip to the Americas—coins believed to be part of a great treasure lost by King John years before.

Believing that Sackett possesses the rest of the treasure, Queen Bess will stop at nothing to find him. If he’s caught, not only will his dream of a life in America be lost, but he will be brutally tortured and put to death on the gallows.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400)

Barnabas Sackett carves a place for himself, his growing family, and a few close friends out of the harsh landscape.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible