Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

To the Far Blue Mountains by Louis L'Amour

To the Far Blue Mountains (original 1976; edition 1984)

by Louis L'Amour

Member:shadowelf76
Title:To the Far Blue Mountains
Authors:Louis L'Amour
Info:Bantam (1984), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Novels
Tags:The Sacketts series, Historical Fiction, 17th Century, East Coast, Pirates, Adventure

To the Far Blue Mountains by Louis L'Amour (1976)

I'm a sucker for anything Jeff Lemire writes. While I've never been a big reader of superhero comics, his series and spinoffs in his world of Black Hammer are wonderful. The main story is about a group of Golden Age Superheroes. The recent spinoffs have been quite varied. This one takes place a hundred years in the future of the primary Black Hammer storyline.

Earth is now ruled by a tyrant and the former teenage members of The Quantum League are reuniting. The story jumps back and forth a bit over a twenty-five year time jump but it all works and was an interesting side trip.

I believe it takes some familiarity with the other Black Hammer books to understand some of the references so I don't really thing this works well if you haven't read those.

The artist for this series is Wilfredo Torres who does a great job of keeping characters and places fitting in with the rest of the series yet still managing to make them his own.

Even if you don't think you like superhero comics I encourage you to give the Black Hammer series and it's spinoffs a try. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Jun 9, 2019 |
I love all L'Amour's books but the Sackett books are some of the best I've ever read. This is the second book in the series and I must say that I have enjoyed it. A slightly different flavor than what I am used to with L'Amour's works but very good. Have the tissues ready and a few laughs and all in all a very good read. Thought provoking. ( )
  Kathleen.Vess | Sep 12, 2018 |
In this sequel to Sackett's Land we find our protagonist trying to escape his native England to return to the American wilderness that he loves. On the way he makes friends, defeats enemies, and has several adventures.

I liked this installment a little better than the first, but both are enjoyable and engaging reads. ( )
  fuzzi | Aug 24, 2018 |
This book continues the story of Barnabas Sackett and introduces his sons Kin, Yance, and Jubal Sackett who show up in later books in the series. People familiar with North Carolina will recognize Native American tribe names and landmarks.

The story is a good one. I thought the second sight incidents were interesting as foreshadowing. I will issue a tissue warning.

Who will like it? It is good historical fiction. If you like L'Amour's Westerns, you'll most likely enjoy this. If you like fiction about historical North Carolina, you'll probably like it. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | May 29, 2016 |
An interesting story, and not the usual Louis L'amour tale - this one is filled with pirates, and the settling of the east by a small band led by Sackett before Jamestown. It had some pacing problems which is not normal for a Louis L'amour novel. The characters are more Davy Crockett than Clint Eastwood-esque, which was interesting. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
To Oscar and Marian Dystel
My horse, good beast that he was, stood steady, ears pricked to listen, as were mine.
For land beyond the mountains is ever a dream and a challenge, and each generation needs that, that dream of some far-off place to go.

Filled with exciting tales of the frontier, the chronicle of the Sackett family is perhaps the crowning achievement of one of our greatest storytellers. In To the Far Blue Mountains, Louis L'Amour weaves an unforgettable tale of a man who journeys to his homeland — but discovers that finding his way back to America may be impossible....Barnabas Sackett was leaving England forever to find his fortune in the New World. But as he settled his affairs, he learned that a warrant from Queen Elizabeth had been sworn against him — and that men were searching for him in every port. At issue were some rare gold coins Sackett had found and sold — coins believed to be part of a great treasure lost by King John years before. Believing that Sackett possesses the rest of the treasure, the Queen will stop at nothing to find him. And if he's caught, Sackett will face torture — and even the gallows....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553276883, Mass Market Paperback)

TO THE FAR BLUE MOUNTAINS

In To the Far Blue Mountains, Louis L’Amour weaves the unforgettable tale of a man who, after returning to his homeland, discovers that finding his way back to America may be impossible.

Barnabas Sackett was leaving England to make his fortune in the New World. But as he settled his affairs, he learned that a royal warrant had been sworn out against him and that men were searching for him in every port. At issue were some rare gold coins Sackett had sold to finance his first trip to the Americas—coins believed to be part of a great treasure lost by King John years before.

Believing that Sackett possesses the rest of the treasure, Queen Bess will stop at nothing to find him. If he’s caught, not only will his dream of a life in America be lost, but he will be brutally tortured and put to death on the gallows.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

Barnabas Sackett carves a place for himself, his growing family, and a few close friends out of the harsh landscape.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible