Mister Dog Book & Record by Margaret Wise…
147None81,165 (3.71)None

Well, here is another Little Golden Book that I found sitting next to my brother's computer, and since it would pretty much take me less that 5 minutes to read this book, I picked it up and read it. My initial impression was WTF? Seriously WTF? Is this book really a kids' book, and if it were to have been written today would anybody actually touch it? I think not (though it seems by glancing across the number of reviews of this book, I am in the extreme minority).
The book is about a dog who belongs to no one. He lives in a two story dog house and smokes a pipe. He then goes out for a stroll and meets a boy who belongs to no one (ie he is a street kid) so takes him home and the boy sleeps in Mister Dog's bed. Seriously, what may have been innocent back in 1952 is certainly not innocent now. Granted, kids sleep in their parent's bed all the time (much to their parent's dismay) and they even sleep with animals on their bed, but this I felt was going just a little bit too far.
While I said that it may have been innocent at the time of its writing, I assure you that it is not now. I really would not like my kids (if I had any, which I don't) getting the idea that running off with strangers and climbing into bed with them is okay: it is not. Granted, the kid in the book belongs to no one, but this, to me, is also absurd. It is a sad fact of life that there are a lot of children out there who simply do not have parents (or are from abusive households, or simply ran away from home). While such things were swept under the table and ignored in 1952, they are not now.
I did have the book at a higher rating, but the more that I think about it, the more convinced I am that it should not be a part of a child's reading collection. Granted, there are a lot of worse books out there (don't go reading the Satyricon to a child, please), but as a children's book, no thanks. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Apr 13, 2014 |
A brutal look at autonomy, conservatism, the inability for two solitudes to intersect, and little fat stomachs. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Mar 5, 2013 |
This book is a fantasy. Since none of this could really happen in real life. There is no way that a dog could cook and live in a two story house and talk and all sorts of things. The story does not really have a very well thought out plot it seems, and at time the story gets a little confusing. The author does not explain who Crispin is and how it came to be that the dog is all alone, but it talks about why he is named Crispin's Crispian, but then gives no answer. As an adult you can infer what the story means, but for a child this would be very difficult. ( )
  stharp | Dec 31, 1969 |
Once upon a time there was a funny dog named Crispin's Crispian.
Crispin's Crispian was a conservative. He liked everything at the right time-- dinner at dinner time, lunch at lunchtime, breakfast in time for breakfast, and sunrise and sunrise, and sunset at sunset.
Book & Record! Not just book!

Once upon a time there was a funny dog named Crispin’s Crispian. He was named Crispin’s Crispian because he belonged to himself.So begins the story of a dog who runs bang into a little boy, who also belongs to himself. This quirky, breathtakingly illustrated story is one of Margaret Wise Brown’s best.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:01 -0400)

Crispin's Crispian, the dog who belongs to himself, shares his home with a little boy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible