The toll by Neal Shusterman

The toll (edition 2019)

by Neal Shusterman

"Citra and Rowan have disappeared. Endura is gone. It seems like nothing stands between Scythe Goddard and absolute dominion over the world scythedom. With the silence of the Thunderhead and the reverberations of the Great Resonance still shaking the earth to its core, the question remains: Is there anyone left who can stop him? The answer lies in the Tone, the Toll, and the Thunder"--… (more)
Member:arborschool
Title:The toll
Authors:Neal Shusterman
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, [2019]

The Toll by Neal Shusterman

Like another reviewer, I loved the first two books, but this one was a bit of a disappointment. Oh, there were plenty of plot twists and turns, but it just seemed to go on and on with no real purpose, except to get to the end of the wild ride and see if Citra and Rowan will be reunited. As always, Shusterman kept me reading, but there was no real message that I could discern. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Jan 12, 2020 |
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 Scythe - ★★★★★
#2 Thunderhead - ★★★★★
#3 The Toll - Haven't read yet.
  InnahLovesYou | Jan 3, 2020 |
I have deep thoughts that will have to wait for now. ( )
  JennyNau10 | Dec 7, 2019 |
I was looking forward to the release of this book for close to a year. The ending of Thunderhead had me cheering for what would come next. When I got the book, finally, and saw that it was well over 600 pages I was excited - both Scythe and Thunderhead were amazing, so I was all set for lots of amazing.

I don't know if it was my internal hype and no book could live up to it, or if the book really was not as good as the first two? I have read the UnWind series and loved them all, so I'm thinking this book just really didn't measure up to Neal's normal standard. With all the stories going on, it was a bit hard to keep track of what was going on when. I don't think we needed to see Goddard, Rowan, Citra, the Tonist, Rand, Farady, and Greyson all separately. I feel like, with good editing, several of those could have been combined and it would have made the story a more exciting read.

Also, one of the things I love most about Shusterman is his ability to surprise me. There were no surprises for me in this book. (Spoilers for the first and second book ahead, but if you are reading this I am guessing you already read them so it won't matter).

When Citra punched Rowan near the end of book one, giving him immunity without making it look like it was planned was amazing - I was trying to figure out, for the entire book, how they could save each other. That was fantastic writing. I also loved that, for a change, the woman saved the man and not the other way around. In the second book, I did not see them using Tyger's body to bring Goddard back to life. That changed everything. I needed some wow moments in this book and they just weren't there.
  Lisa5127 | Nov 20, 2019 |
Not too often can I say that I read a 600+ page book in one sitting, but thank god I only worked half a day today because I knocked this bad boy out! I thought it was a thrilling and wonderful wrap up to the trilogy. We met a few new characters, reconnected with our old favorites, and explored a thrilling new chapter that kept me guessing up to the end. The Toll picks up right where the last book left off and the pace never slows. Not for one minute. I liked the Greyson Tolliver became a central part of this story so we had four main characters instead of just Rowan, Citra, and the Thunderhead. I don't want to spoil the ending, but it was great I think the way the whole trilogy was plotted was unique and brilliant and it is definitely a series I will return to. I would love to see this on the big screen! ( )
1 vote ecataldi | Nov 12, 2019 |
For David Gale, the High Blade of editors.

We all miss the enlightened swath of your pen!
It is with abiding humility that I accept the position of High Blade of MidMerica.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,805,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible