California Summer: A Novel by Anita Hughes

California Summer: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Anita Hughes (Author)

1251,111,359 (3.3)None
Member:yalanda
Title:California Summer: A Novel
Authors:Anita Hughes (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2018), 304 pages
Tags:to-read

California Summer: A Novel by Anita Hughes

Rosie and Ben have been together for ten years, all of Rosie’s dreams are wrapped up in Ben’s plans. When she finds out Ben has cheated on her, life changes overnight.
She quickly moves out and finds herself living in a guest cottage at her best friend’s parents’ home in Montecito.

She is trying to find herself again, at first trying to figure out how to win Ben back. But soon, trying to make a new life for herself.

Her hostess Estelle encourages Rosie to find her own passion in life. She says the only way to guarantee Rosie’s happiness is if she finds and pursues her own passion in life. She can’t make all her decisions around who she’s in a relationship with.

Rosie finds herself again, practically creating herself over again. She finds a new passion in cooking, a new set of friends and makeshift family and even a new love.

Of course the setting is beautiful too. You can always count on this author to give you a story about a beautiful setting, delicious food and a strong female character.

I got to read an early e book edition of this book through NetGalley. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |

Ben and Rosie have been together for ten years. They live together and work together in the film industry. They are so close they can finish each other’s sentences. Their life together is basically perfect. Until it isn’t. Ben has always had more ambition than Rosie. Amazed at the success they’ve had so far, Rosie is content producing the film they are currently working on. Ben, however, wants more. He is determined to be the biggest director in Hollywood and will do anything to get there – including betraying Rosie.

After learning of Ben’s betrayal, Rosie decides to spend the summer in Montecito at her friend’s parents’ guest house, to mourn and to decide what to do now. Once there, she forms a circle of friends who offer her support and advice.

Rosie was such a doormat! I wanted to shake her and tell her to have some respect for herself. She lets people, especially men, walk all over her. This book is a pretty basic romance with simple writing and the typical tropes and characters. There’s the gay best friend, the guy who’s been burned and sworn off relationships, etc. Even so, I enjoyed reading California Summer. It’s definitely a light beach read and I think romance fans will like it. ( )
  mcelhra | Sep 13, 2018 |
Rosie and Ben have been together 10 years. They have just hit it big in the film industry. Then Ben has an affair and Rosie's life falls completely apart. Thanks to her good friend Angelica and her family, Rosie starts to heal and turn her life around.
I have read several Anita Hughes books. This one fell a little short for me. Basically because Rosie is such a frustrating whiney butt! I just wanted to give Rosie a good punch upside the head. She made me want to throw this book out the window! If I heard Ben and I were going to....Ben and I did...one more time!!! She also overreacts in many situations in this read. So needless to say there are many many eye rolling places in this book.
Now that the bad is out of the way. There are lots of good parts to this read. I loved the setting of the small town of Montecito. I could just picture the store fronts and the picturesque streets. Also, Josh! Josh is the sexy surfer dude! He helps pick up Rosie and put her back on her feet. He can help me anytime!
The story is predictable, as many of these types of books are. But, it is a pretty good read if you can keep from slapping Rosie. ( )
  fredreeca | Jun 18, 2018 |
“California Summer” by Anita Hughes is a captivating, enjoyable and entertaining read. The Genres for this novel are Fiction, Women’s Fiction and Romance. Goodreads has a blurb that says. “”California Summer “is a touching and romantic story about following your dreams but not letting them get in the way of love.” The story takes place mostly in the present, and goes to the past only if it pertains to the characters or events. I like the way the author describes the scenic landscape with beaches and flowers, from Hollywood to a small town Montecito.

Anita Hughes describes her colorful cast of characters as complex, and complicated. Some characters are quirky. There are betrayals and lack of communication. Some of the characters are loyal friends. Rosie and Ben are friends, lovers, producer/director in Hollywood, until Rosie discovers that Ben has been unfaithful. Rosie leaves Hollywood and goes to Montecito, to stay with her friend’s parents. Rosie feels betrayed and hurt, and is nursing her wounds in the extra cottage on the premises.

In the small town, Rosie is able to meet some new friends, and reflect upon her life. Rosie finds she is happy preparing and cooking in the kitchen. Everyone seems to love Rosie’s fish tacos. Rosie does have major decisions to make. What are Rosie’s goals?

I like the way the author describes the importance, of family, friendship, emotional support, communication loyalty, love and hope. The author also compares being extremely wealthy and being able to have material things, and prestige, or being comfortable financially and being happy. I would highly recommend this novel to those readers that enjoy Women’s Fiction. I received an ARC from NetGalley for my honest review. ( )
  teachlz | May 21, 2018 |
Thanks to Goodreads and St. Martin's for this ARC.

A light fluffy Summer read.

I love how everything was all tied up in this book in the end and how every one was connected. Rosie left Hollywood when her Ben, her boyfriend of 10 years who was an up and coming Director in Hollywood had an affair (typical Hollywood) and she left her job as a Producer, to live in Montecito with her best friends parents in their cottage house. She loved Ben and I really didn't think she'd get over him but she met Josh and ended up loving him, but he didn't want to commit and didn't want her life to be successful as a taco shop owner. A lot of arguments and crying by Rosie throughout the book but they both came to their senses (finally)! ( )
  sweetbabyjane58 | May 4, 2018 |

Ben and Rosie are Hollywood's newest director/producer dream team. After hitting it big at Sundance, it seems that their ten years of love and hard work are finally paying off. Rosie is happy making independent films, but Ben wants the A-List celebrity package: a house in Beverly Hills, fancy cars in the driveway, and his name on the biggest blockbusters. He's willing to do anything, even sleep with the most famous producer in town, to get them. Rosie is devastated by Ben's affair, and she decides to take a break from show business. She accepts her best friend's invitation to spend the summer at her parents' estate in Montecito. It's far away from L.A., the perfect place to start over. In Montecito, Rosie meets a colorful cast of characters including Rachel, who owns a chocolate shop, and Josh, a handsome local who splits his time between surfing and classic cars. Suddenly Rosie has new friends and a new purpose. She starts a business in the village, and her luck seems to be turning around. But Rosie knows all too well that success comes with a price, and the price might be losing love...again. California Summer is a touching and romantic story about following your dreams but not letting them get in the way of love.… (more)

Anita Hughes is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,373,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible