And The Ocean Was Our Sky by Patrick Ness

And The Ocean Was Our Sky (2018)

by Patrick Ness

Other authors: Rovina Cai (Illustrator)

Beautiful ( )
  SaraChook | Jun 19, 2019 |
I started to listen to this as an audiobook but soon decided I wanted to read it instead. Glad I did. The illustrations add to the story. It's a short book - only took me about 90 mins to read. But as usual Ness has something to say about humanity through fantasy. Here it is our unfortunate ability to "other" and thus dehumanise and so become able to harm and kill because "they" are not like us. I remain a fan of Mr Ness. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 11, 2019 |
Some will say this book is magical. Not me. The story is about a pod of whales with a culture much like humans. They hunt us the way we hunt them. The sky is their abyss the way the deep sea is for humans an abyss. The dialogue is very confusing and there is very little plot other than them trying to find and kill the ethereal villain Toby Wick. (Make sense?) There is also artwork which is very amateurish and adds little to the book. I never say this is my reviews don't but don't waste your time with this one. ( )
  muddyboy | Jan 19, 2019 |
This was beautiful and heartbreaking and mythic. ( )
  BillieBook | Nov 20, 2018 |
Literary merit: Good
Characterization: Fair
Level: Gr. 7-12
Recommend: YES - this would be so fantastic compared with Moby Dick

This is a strange little reimagining of the classic Moby Dick, but literally flipped upside down. Now we hear the story of obsession, madness and the question of good vs. evil from the perspective of the whales where the ocean has become the sky and the world of man is the abyss. We follow a hunting pod of whales as they track down their devil known as Toby Wick, an evil that has taken countless lives careless from the whale community with no pity or meaning. When the pod takes a human man as a hostage, though, our MC begins to questions what truly causes the evil they fear. Quite an interesting take on the idea of good vs. evil and the true coast of fear and rumors throughout generations. ( )
  SWONroyal | Nov 10, 2018 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cai, RovinaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"With harpoons strapped to their backs, the proud whales of Bathsheba's pod live for the hunt, fighting in the ongoing war against the world of men. When they attack a ship bobbing on the surface of the Abyss, they expect to find easy prey. Instead, they find the trail of a myth, a monster, perhaps the devil himself. As their relentless Captain leads the chase, they embark on a final, vengeful hunt, one that will forever change the worlds of both whales and men"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,568,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible