The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live…

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich (2007)

by Timothy Ferriss

English (58)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (64)
It's full of tips and tricks that can be used to optimize your life. Easy to read and inspirational. Go and read it. ( )
  JavierRiestra | Aug 20, 2014 |
There are a lot of really good reviews for this book already, and besides - your time is money and you are wasting money reading a long review.

Summary:

- Its okay to be abrupt with people, your time is valuable
- Unless that person is a TA, their time is worthless. Feel free to waste it by asking 3.5 hours worth of questions about why you got a B.
- Randomly Capitalize Words - it makes you look more motivational
- Start a business already!
- Its also okay to stereotype (well maybe just for fat old guys in red BMWs)
- Don't ship overseas - customs is a hassle ( )
  pbirch01 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Lots of spirit for shaping one's life based on working hard, then taking time off. Interesting look at the lessons learned by the author while building successful online sales sites. ( )
  wrk1 | Jan 15, 2014 |
WOW!

I don't know how I can possibly explain this book without getting into what will sound like hyperbole.

Let me first explain why I read it - It was a free audio book lying out on a table in the library. I was feeling particularly overwhelmed and frustrated - especially regarding my profession (public school teacher) that day, so the title appealed to me. Plus - the price was right up my alley!

To be honest, I expected to hear a lot of "bumpersticker-bullshit" early on and figured I'd quit after the first 15 minutes.

It was like nothing I've heard/read before.

Ferris gets into DETAIL. SPECIFICALLY explaining how to get away from the grind.

Ferris also speaks from experience - he's done and is doing what he teaches in the book and is more than happy to share his methods.

You want the quickie summary? Here it is - think of your time as money. Are you living the life you want? Are you maximizing your talents? We are ALL very good at something - why not get paid to do it? Why not LIVE YOUR LIFE?

Oops - there I go - getting excited and over the top - so let me bring it back to a plain closer to the average reality.

If anything, this book will cause you to RADICALLY re-think what you do with your time every day, what things you have and activities you engage in that are not helping you succeed - and taking away from precious TIME you should be spending with family, friends, and doing what you love.

And yes - we all have excuses why we can't make changes right now. Ferris confronts all of them and dissects and destroys them all.

Get this book.
  Scarchin | Nov 12, 2013 |
Believable? Yes I can see how all of the information taken seriously you could end up doing exactly as he states and be working a four hour work week. Many naysayers may state otherwise, but you have to have a drive and commitment in yourself before you can finally take that leap. I may not have that drive currently, but if the opportunities present themselves then ill have Tim Ferriss' book to look at for guidance and proceeding to the next step. He's included numerous excellent resources and information to also look into so this book is just a cornerstone to achieving your dreams. ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
Forget “follow your dreams.” Ferriss recommends creating intellectual property by searching Writer’s Market for obscure magazines with 15,000-plus circulations whose readers spend money in the same consumer patterns as, say, bass fishermen, then asking the magazines’ advertising directors to e-mail you rate cards while you search back issues for repeat advertisers who sell directly to consumers via 1-800 numbers and Web sites. I’m not kidding. That’s Step 1.

The book's essential premise is that what Ferriss calls the "deferred-life plan" -- the path of working for 40 years to fund a 20-year retirement -- is both escapable and worth escaping.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Motley Fool, John Rosevear (Jul 12, 2007)

For my parents, Donald and Frances Ferriss, who taught a little hellion that marching to a different drummer was a good thing. I love you both and owe you everything.
Is lifestyle design for you?
Just because you are embarrassed to admit that you're still living the consequences of bad decisions made 5, 10, or 20 years ago shouldn't stop you from making good decisions now. If you let pride stop you, you will hate life 5, 10, or 20 years from now for the same reasons. I hate to be wrong and sat in a dead-end trajectory with my own company until I was forced to change directions or face total breakdown -- I know how hard it is.

Now that we're on a level playing field: Pride is stupid.

What do you do? Tim Ferriss has trouble answering the question. Depending on when you ask this
controversial Princeton University guest lecturer, he might answer:

“I race motorcycles in Europe.”
“I ski in the Andes.”
“I scuba dive in Panama.”
“I dance tango in Buenos Aires.”

He has spent more than five years learning the secrets of the New Rich, a fast-growing subculture who has abandoned the “deferred-life plan” and instead mastered the new currencies—time and mobility—to create luxury lifestyles in the here and now.

Whether you are an overworked employee or an entrepreneur trapped in your own business, this book is the compass for a new and revolutionary world. Join Tim Ferriss as he teaches you:

• How to outsource your life to overseas virtual assistants for $5 per hour and do whatever you want
• How blue-chip escape artists travel the world without quitting their jobs
• How to eliminate 50% of your work in 48 hours using the principles of a forgotten Italian economist
• How to trade a long-haul career for short work bursts and freuent "mini-retirements"
• What the crucial difference is between absolute and relative income
• How to train your boss to value performance over presence, or kill your job (or company) if it’s beyond repair
• What automated cash-flow “muses” are and how to create one in 2 to 4 weeks
• How to cultivate selective ignorance—and create time—with a low-information diet
• What the management secrets of Remote Control CEOs are
• How to get free housing worldwide and airfare at 50–80% off
• How to fill the void and create a meaningful life after removing work and the office

You can have it all—really.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:10 -0400)

Offers techniques and strategies for increasing income while cutting work time in half, and includes advice for leading a more fulfilling life.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,311,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible