Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live…

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Timothy Ferriss (Author)

Forget the old concept of retirement and the rest of the deferred-life plan--there is no need to wait and every reason not to, especially in unpredictable economic times. Whether your dream is escaping the rat race, experiencing high-end world travel, earning a monthly five-figure income with zero management, or just living more and working less, here is the blueprint. This step-by-step guide to luxury lifestyle design teaches: how Tim went from $40,000 per year and 80 hours per week to $40,000 per month and 4 hours per week; how to outsource your life to overseas virtual assistants for $5 per hour and do whatever you want; how blue-chip escape artists travel the world without quitting their jobs; how to eliminate 50% of your work in 48 hours using the principles of a forgotten Italian economist; how to trade a long-haul career for short work bursts and frequent "mini-retirements."--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:mille162
Title:The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
Authors:Timothy Ferriss (Author)
Info:Harmony (2007), Edition: 1st, First Edition, 320 pages

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss (2007)

English (84)  German (4)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (93)
I just finished reading The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss. What a fascinating book! I definitely recommend you read this if you are interested in getting some of your life back. Read more ( )
  skrabut | Sep 2, 2020 |
This seems targeted more towards entrepreneurs and sales (people for whom time is flexible), but I, as a salary employee, found it interesting and motivating. From this book, I now feel motivated to:

- reduce time physically at work to increase productivity and satisfaction
- look into alternate revenue streams that have flexible time commitments (read: income is not tied to time spent)
- outsource boring tasks, even personal ones

Tim Ferriss gives lots of helpful suggestions as to how to accomplish a fulfilling life where time is spent precisely how you want to spend it. I will likely reread this once I've made some of the changes above. ( )
  beatgammit | Mar 22, 2020 |
The book contains lot of motivational stories. It may probably help you to remove lot of clutter in life, and to be more productive. I will take every advice in the book with a grain of salt. In case of outsourcing life, I completely ditch it. I don't want a third person to select my son's gift or write apology letter to my wife. I regret that I gifted this book to someone else after reading first few chapters. Overall the book is loaded with useful information but it does not live up to it's hype. ( )
  adisesha18 | Mar 22, 2020 |
Much more interesting than I originally thought, although a good chunk of the book I skimmed, as it comprised a lot of testimonials about the methodology. Also, a number of the tips and tricks in the book are either outdated (sites have disappeared) or directly relate to the form of business that Timothy Ferriss built (which isn't terribly interesting to me). I did find some reaffirmations of advice (cut down on the crap you're reading), and it's a good kick-in-the-pants for folks that want to adopt the Noveau Rich lifestyle espoused in the book. Whether or not I adopt it fully is yet to be determined, but regardless of your thoughts on the book, it's at least worth a borrow from the library. ( )
  craigmaloney | Mar 21, 2020 |
This book has been quite important and inspiring for me. It reinforced my desire to simplify my life and to focus on what’s truly important. I’ve started to use the 80/20 Pareto-principle much more often in my life. ( )
  remouherek | Feb 24, 2020 |
Forget “follow your dreams.” Ferriss recommends creating intellectual property by searching Writer’s Market for obscure magazines with 15,000-plus circulations whose readers spend money in the same consumer patterns as, say, bass fishermen, then asking the magazines’ advertising directors to e-mail you rate cards while you search back issues for repeat advertisers who sell directly to consumers via 1-800 numbers and Web sites. I’m not kidding. That’s Step 1.

The book's essential premise is that what Ferriss calls the "deferred-life plan" -- the path of working for 40 years to fund a 20-year retirement -- is both escapable and worth escaping.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Motley Fool, John Rosevear (Jul 12, 2007)

For my parents, Donald and Frances Ferriss, who taught a little hellion that marching to a different drummer was a good thing. I love you both and owe you everything.
Is lifestyle design for you?
Just because you are embarrassed to admit that you're still living the consequences of bad decisions made 5, 10, or 20 years ago shouldn't stop you from making good decisions now. If you let pride stop you, you will hate life 5, 10, or 20 years from now for the same reasons. I hate to be wrong and sat in a dead-end trajectory with my own company until I was forced to change directions or face total breakdown -- I know how hard it is.

Now that we're on a level playing field: Pride is stupid.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,688,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible