Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Long Road to Mercy (An Atlee Pine Thriller)…

Long Road to Mercy (An Atlee Pine Thriller) (original 2018; edition 2018)

by David Baldacci (Author)

Member:louisbooks
Title:Long Road to Mercy (An Atlee Pine Thriller)
Authors:David Baldacci (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2018), Edition: Large Print, 624 pages
Tags:Bcls

Long Road to Mercy by David Baldacci (2018)

Not my favorite. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Jun 4, 2019 |
I usually love listening to audiobooks, however, this book would I have rather read. Or waited for the Swedish audiobook. Brittany Pressley voice was kind of OK, a bit robotic, like narrators to express more emotions. However, Kyf Brewer, GAH, very robotic voice and he voiced EVERY male character in pretty much the same way. Also, I have no problem with different voiced when there are different POVs. In this case, did Kyf Brewer voice every line that a male character speaks. And it irritated me quite badly.

As for the story, well, to be honest, I've read better books by Baldacci. Much, much better books. I was actually surprised to find this book to be so bland. I picked this book as Baldacci is a safe card when it comes to a great reading experience. This time, well it was OK, and I will pick up the next book in the series. Just not the audiobook version... ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Baldachi is an excellent writer. Good plot, moves rapidly. A good read. ( )
  lynngood2 | Apr 11, 2019 |
Mercy was a twin sister of Atlee. She was murdered by an unknown killer when they were very young. Atlee is now a FBI agent,and wants to find her killer. Mingling with this is her FBI duties. She has uncovered a secret plot to overthrow the government from within and blame it on North Korea. ( )
  pgabj | Mar 20, 2019 |
Fair warning to readers--the beginning and ending chapters won't have much to do with the plot for the rest of the book.

Atlee Pine is an FBI agent who's chosen to be stationed in Arizona near the Grand Canyon. We find that she is a twin, but her twin sister was abducted when they were very young and has never been found. (In retrospect, I wonder if the book title was meant as a warning that finding out what happened to Mercy Pine is going to be a long road.)

Atlee starts off as a bit of a loner, but in the course of the book, she makes several friends: her assistant, Carol Blum, and park ranger, Sam Kettler are the two that come most prominently to mind.

Most of the other Baldacci books I've read have had a male protagonist, so having one with a female protagonist is interesting--even if she does have many attributes usually given to males. She's a bit more likely to make a mistake than Baldacci's male super-men protagonists, but she's able to use her brain and training to turn things back around.

The main plot centers around a supposedly missing tourist and a dead mule from the Grand Canyon mule rides. Except that the missing tourist doesn't fit the description of the person who went on the mule ride and disappeared. There's a bit of obscure Grand Canyon history relating to the letters J & K (which I have to say made me think of "joke" when I first heard them and I'm surprised that internet abbreviation never came up in the story.) And there's a nuclear device mixed in there too.

I was glad Baldacci chose to not have the seemingly genre-required sex scene in this novel, and I would probably read the next book in the series to see how the series goes. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Feb 26, 2019 |

Atlee Pine, an FBI special agent assigned to the remote wilds of the western United States. Ever since her twin sister was abducted by a notorious serial killer at age five, Atlee has spent her life hunting down those who hurt others. And she's the best at it. She could be one of the Bureau's top criminal profilers, if she didn't prefer catching criminals in the vast wilderness of the West to climbing the career ladder in the D.C. office. Her chosen mission is a lonesome one--but that suits her just fine. Now, Atlee is called in to investigate the mutilated carcass of a mule found in the Grand Canyon--and hopefully, solve the disappearance of its rider. But this isn't the only recent disappearance. In fact, it may be just the first clue, the key to unraveling a rash of other similar missing persons cases in the canyon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,471,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible