The Real Deal: A Novel by Lauren Blakely

The Real Deal: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Lauren Blakely (Author)

193762,277 (4)None
Member:Pelusa41
Title:The Real Deal: A Novel
Authors:Lauren Blakely (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2018), 368 pages

The Real Deal by Lauren Blakely

The Real Deal by Lauren Blakely (Audiobook)
Narrated by: Zachary Webber and Erin Mallon

4 Stars - I quite enjoyed this fake boyfriend plot line and the characters involved. The dialogue was witty and filled with fabulous tension. The story slowed a bit for me part way in the last quarter, but picked up again with a wonderful ending.

Zachary Webber did a wonderful job narrating as usual. Erin Mallon’s male character voices were great and her regular voice is easy to listen to, however she tends to dragout some of her syllables at the end of the words. Example: “Chapter Twelllvvvvve- Aprillllll”. Not sure if she is doing this on purpose for this character or not? Either way I found that distracting and didn’t care for it. That said, I would still listen to her narrations.

~Paragraphs and Petticoats~ ( )
  MyaB | Aug 1, 2018 |
Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley) I tend to like Lauren's book she has some of the most hilarious books out there, and while I can't say I found this was one of them I liked it but didn't love it. I liked April and I liked Theo and honestly was happy that they found each other and where able to give it a go, I even have to say that I liked the secondary characters, so then why didn't I love it you may be wondering. It was the story in itself, we have April hiring Theo as her pretend boyfriend to get her family off of her back from having significant other and moving back to her hometown, I think what I kind of got tired of was that as they met and were putting together a story on how they did and to make it believable they continued to do it thru out story and I got tired of it, but that is just me. Besides that I enjoyed everything else. Enjoy! ( )
  Pelusa41 | Jul 10, 2018 |
Such a fun book!

Fake relationships--especially when one of the two parties is for hire--can be a tricky medium. There's a fine line between fun and the squicky factor. Though April and Theo move fast (four days of family fun, plus one quick meeting beforehand) their connection was immediate and it soon felt like more, even to the reader. Every time a chapter started with the day count, it took me by surprise--it had felt like so much had happened already!

(Though I still had an issue with the invitation April extends--at day three, maybe?--to a person she's never met to join her family event. That really stretched credibility, I thought, especially given Theo's weird qualification for their relationship when he first comes up in conversation. I see how it was needed for the plot, but it seemed more than a little out of bounds.)

I loved the family reunion/summer games competition portion of the story; it really added to the rom-com-y feel of the book and was a lot of fun to read. The "do you remember when..."s that they made up as they went along to sell their relationship--and then went out of their way to make come true--added to the fun factor, and the sigh factor as well. April's unusual profession (body painter) was a neat touch, and the steady job Theo has by the end of the book (shout out to Ms. Blakely's Mister O !) is beyond perfect.

All in all, this was an entertaining summer read that alternately made me smile and swoon.

Rating: 4 stars / B+

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. ( )
  beckymmoe | Jul 10, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,235,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible