New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear
Info:Far Territories / Subterranean (2008), Paperback, 267 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012 Reads
Rating:***
Tags:Alternate History, Urban Fantasy, Mystery, Vampires, Magic, Short Stories

New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear (2007)

Soulless by Gail Carriger (jlynno84)
    jlynno84: Paranormal, steampunk with a mystery to solve
    Moonshine by Alaya Johnson (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Excellent alternate histories of the United States which filter in political twists on Prohibition (Moonshine) and colonial revolutions (New Amsterdam), as each book's female protagonist finds herself accidentally delving into the darker side of the current political tangles of the day.… (more)
    Lord Darcy Investigates by Randall Garrett (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Garrett invented many of the conceits that Bear uses here. The Darcy books, however, are geared towards cleverness, rather than character development.

New Amsterdam is set in the city that is New York in our world, in a timeline where the Colonies are still ruled by the British. One of our main characters is an old Vampire who has decided to immigrate to New Amsterdam, even though the Colonies frown on vampires, and who investigates crimes as a hobby. The other is a female forensic investigator who uses magic in her work for the Crown. In their first investigation together politics rears its ugly head and adventures and travel ensue. I enjoyed this novel enough that I will be acquiring the next one soon.
  hailelib | Jun 27, 2015 |
This collection of interconnected short stories--reading more like an episodic novel than anything--is set in an alternate universe where the American colonies never seceded and vampires and magic exist. The stories combine paranormal fantasy, steampunk, detective stories, and alternate history in an agreeable mishmash of very readable--but I suspect ultimately forgettable--fluff. The two detective main characters are a vampire and a forensic sorcerer. There are some steamy scenes I could have done without (I may be the only person who doesn't find vampires all that sexy). The alternate universe is full of interesting details and fun to inhabit for a while. The first story takes place on a dirigible! I think I would have liked less of the old-fashioned mystery plotline and more political intrigue, but I all told, I found this an entertaining and quick read.

Read in 2015 for the SFFCat. ( )
  sturlington | Jun 23, 2015 |
a collection of stories, evocative and elusive, that read (even on my Kindle) like i was holding an old Dover reprint of a gothic novel about an occult altworld - perhaps some unholy combination of Poe, Gaboriau, and Lefanu. quite a departure for Bear, who specializes in departures, and you can feel her getting into it as she goes, after a sketchy start. the infamous vampire detective meets up with the aristocratic sorceress-examiner, both of them world-weary, precise, and ethical, drawn together less by blood than by an odd sympathy, or maybe symmetry, between them. two complex characters negotiating the terrain between them, guarded even from the inside, and yet full of feeling they seldom express. ( )
  macha | Sep 22, 2014 |
I have to say that I preordered this collection soley on the strength on one short story that was going to be in the book and I am glad that I wasn't disappointed. This is a short story collection that are all set in the same universe. The story idea reminded me quite strongly of the Lord Darcy series by Randall Garrett. I have to assume that the lead character is named Abigail Irene Garrett as a tip of the hat to the Lord Darcy stories. Garrett is a crown investigator in the British colony of New Amsterdam. As the stories progress, she teams up with the vampire, Sebastien and love blooms between them. I enjoyed the setting and the stories and I hope there will be either another collection of short stories or a novel set in this world. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Alternate History,Vampires,Witches,North America
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
The zeppelin Hans Glucker left Calais at 9:15 in the evening on a cold night in March, 1899, bound for New Amsterdam, the jewel of British New America.

In a world where the sun never set on the British Empire, where Holland finally ceded New Amsterdam to the English only during the Napoleonic wars, and where the expansion of the American colonies was halted by the war magic of the Iroquois, they are exiles in the new world--and its only hope for justice.… (more)

Elizabeth Bear is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,926,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible