New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear
Info:Far Territories / Subterranean (2008), Paperback, 267 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012 Reads
Rating:***
Tags:Alternate History, Urban Fantasy, Mystery, Vampires, Magic, Short Stories

New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear (2007)

Soulless by Gail Carriger (jlynno84)
    jlynno84: Paranormal, steampunk with a mystery to solve
    Moonshine by Alaya Johnson (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Excellent alternate histories of the United States which filter in political twists on Prohibition (Moonshine) and colonial revolutions (New Amsterdam), as each book's female protagonist finds herself accidentally delving into the darker side of the current political tangles of the day.… (more)
    Lord Darcy Investigates by Randall Garrett (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Garrett invented many of the conceits that Bear uses here. The Darcy books, however, are geared towards cleverness, rather than character development.

I have to say that I preordered this collection soley on the strength on one short story that was going to be in the book and I am glad that I wasn't disappointed. This is a short story collection that are all set in the same universe. The story idea reminded me quite strongly of the Lord Darcy series by Randall Garrett. I have to assume that the lead character is named Abigail Irene Garrett as a tip of the hat to the Lord Darcy stories. Garrett is a crown investigator in the British colony of New Amsterdam. As the stories progress, she teams up with the vampire, Sebastien and love blooms between them. I enjoyed the setting and the stories and I hope there will be either another collection of short stories or a novel set in this world. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Alternate History,Vampires,Witches,North America
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Political intrigue, dirigibles, magic, alternate history, monsters, twisty multi-layered backstory--what more could you want? ( )
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |
I'm sick to death of vampires, but I love Elizabeth Bear. Guess which one wins? ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
The zeppelin Hans Glucker left Calais at 9:15 in the evening on a cold night in March, 1899, bound for New Amsterdam, the jewel of British New America.

In a world where the sun never set on the British Empire, where Holland finally ceded New Amsterdam to the English only during the Napoleonic wars, and where the expansion of the American colonies was halted by the war magic of the Iroquois, they are exiles in the new world--and its only hope for justice.… (more)

Elizabeth Bear is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,647,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible