Allan Quatermain by H. Rider Haggard

Allan Quatermain (original 1887; edition 1951)

by H. Rider Haggard, Hookway Cowles (Illustrator)

Series: Allan Quatermain (14)

'I have just buried my boy, my poor handsome boy of whom I was so proud, and my heart is broken. It is very hard having only one son to lose him thus, but God's will be done. Who am I that I should complain? The great wheel of Fate rolls on like a Juggern
Member:tkenney426
Title:Allan Quatermain
Authors:H. Rider Haggard
Other authors:Hookway Cowles (Illustrator)
Info:MacDonald: London
Tags:fiction, British, nineteenth-century, H. Rider Haggard

Allan Quatermain by H. Rider Haggard (1887)

English (11)  Danish (1)  All languages (12)
This is a sequel to King Solomon's Mines. I enjoyed the first half of King Solomon rather much, so downloaded this book before I realized that King Solomon had a number of blemishes. This has some as well. In fact, I found it rather tedious after a while.

This is an adventure story of some British, Victorian adventurers blundering around in Africa. They get swept up in an underground river and end up in an isolated kingdom of white people, deep within the heart of Africa. They get involved in the religious and political intrigues of the whites, have battles and so forth. It's not bad, just got a bit tedious.

To his credit, Haggard has a number of interesting observations on the human condition. So, if I weren't bored with wars, killing, and white racism, I might consider reading more of this works.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Allan Quatermain, the hero of King Solomon's Mines sets out on another African adventure, this time to a land where it is rumored a white race lives. HIs adventures make for exciting reading. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
The novel begins as the famous hunter and adventurer Allan Quartermain and his friends are getting bored with civilized life in England, so they decide to go back to Africa to see if they can find a legendary tribe of white people in an area so remote that it's impossible to get to. In the course of their adventures, they fight the natives, discover an undiscovered civilization, and win a massive war for their friends. As repetitive as it seems for anyone who's read any of Haggard's other books, it wouldn't be much of an adventure novel if our heroes didn't do any of the above.

Haggard's novels are what they are. I'm sure they were quite popular with a certain demographic when they were published, and they're interesting to read from a literary/historical point of view, but I'm glad I've finished my collection of his works and won't be reading any more of him. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
A pleasant diversion. I could have done without some of the "Great White Hunter" crap, but otherwise a nice little adventure - sometimes predictable, but still entertaining. The characters were colorful and often had more depth than I expected. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 9, 2014 |
Review Williams's fully voiced reading of this magnificent first-person narrative emphasizes the dangers and hardships that the adventurers undergo in their journey. Williams reads with excellent narrative timing, and his wide range of voices and accents adds a great deal. --Kliatt Product Description Sequel to "King Solomon's Mines", this adventure story is about three men and their guide, who trek into remote Africa in search of a lost white race. Their perilous journey takes them to Zu-Vendis, a kingdom ruled by the beautiful twin sisters, Nyleptha and Sorais. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |

Pente, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Segrelles, VincenteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slussar, George EdgarIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, FredNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I inscribe this book of adventure to my son Arthur John Rider Haggard in the hope that in days to come he, and many other boys whom I shall never know, may, in the acts and thoughts of Alan Qatermain and his companions, as herein recorded, find something to help him and them to reach to what, with Sir henry Curtis, I hold to be the highest rank whereto we can attain - the state and dignity of Engish gentlemen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,908,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible