Honeymoon with My Brother: A Memoir by Franz…

Honeymoon with My Brother: A Memoir

by Franz Wisner

This was a well written and interesting memoir about two years in the author's life during and after the break up of his engagement and subsequent world traveling with his younger brother. It was always a worthy read, frequently funny, and sometimes informative. Given how many, many places they visited, I'm sorry that we didn't get more information on their trips, but I think we definitely got the highlights. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Apr 7, 2012 |
This is one of those "what if I did this?" memoirs. Mr. Wisner and his brother find themselves on a massive trip around the world, exploring where the wind takes them, forging brotherly bonds, and coming to terms with some of the disappointments of the past. It's easy reading, there is just enough personal narrative to make the reader interested in the author, without feeling like an expose, and there is a wonderful flavor of the world. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Nov 19, 2011 |
Imagine a guy jilted at the altar a few days before the wedding, who holds the "wedding" anyway (no, he does not get married), reunites with his brother (his best man, with whom he never had a close relationship) , goes on his prepaid honeymoon with his brother, whereupon they decide to quit their jobs, sell their houses and spend the next year touring the world. That is basically the plot line for Honeymoon with My Brother by Franz Wisner.

But the book is so much more--a touching revelation of intertwined lives, re-bonding of the brothers, hilarious travel adventures (dead guys blocking Central American highways at midnight on the way back from bars, anyone?). Annie, his erstwhile girlfriend, probably cringed when she read the book, but he actually does a good job telling a balanced story of the relationship and breakup. And the Irvine Company, Southern California's largest landowner, who demotes Frans right after his non-wedding, gets a big-time once over for their "politicking" aimed at letting them build more subdivisions around LA. At least he gets a big bonus check the day before he quits to start his world travels.

Highly recommended and tough to put down, even at midnight...

Note: he lives down the hall from my son, Scott,in Brooklyn, along with his family. Nice guy! ( )
  dla911 | Apr 17, 2010 |
Wisner was all set to get married and head off on a fantastic honeymoon when he got a call from his fiancee. She'd changed her mind. The wedding was off.Wisner decided to go on his honeymoon anyway, taking his brother along for company. The honeymoon evolved into a two year, round-the-world trip. Wisner has a great sense of picking out the coolest parts of his trip to tell as stories. I also loved his lists. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
2008 ( )
  katiemertz | Nov 21, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312340842, Paperback)

Franz Wisner had the world by the tail. He was engaged to the beautiful Annie, with whom he shared a passion for conservative politics and a command of quotes from the movie This Is Spinal Tap. He worked as a government-relations official for a California real-estate giant, rubbing elbows with bigwig politicians. But then his fiancée dumped him days before their wedding, and his boss demoted him. So he dragged his younger brother, Kurt, a Seattle realtor and divorcé, to Costa Rica for his already-scheduled honeymoon, where Wisner spilled his guts to a prostitute in the hotel bar. ("Not once did it occur to me that I was having a heart-to-heart with a woman who faked orgasms for a living.")

Both inspired and desperate, the two quit their jobs, sold their houses, gave away their belongings, and traveled the world for two years, romping through Europe in a newly purchased Saab, then hitting the Middle East, Southeast Asia, South America, and Africa. Along the way, Wisner got to know his brother in a way he never had ("Kurt had become ... my new best friend") and fought to move past his failed relationship.

Wisner's story is straightforward, heartfelt, and highly readable--though without any true, biting insights--and should connect with readers who've gone through a breakup, career change, or midlife crisis, or fantasized about quitting the rat race. His best travel tip? Throw away the guidebooks, and talk to the locals instead. --Andy Boynton

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:51 -0400)

Franz Wisner thought he had it all--until, days before they were to be married, his fiancée called it off. His family and friends decided he should have a big party and a honeymoon anyway, with his brother Kurt as his travel companion. Then he lost his dream job, so the brothers decided to leave their old lives behind them. They quit their jobs, sold all their possessions, and traveled around the world, visiting fifty-three countries for the next two years. Franz turned his heartbreak into an opportunity to learn about himself, the world, and the brother he hardly knew.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,516,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible