A Curse So Dark and Lonely (The Cursebreaker…

A Curse So Dark and Lonely (The Cursebreaker Series) (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Brigid Kemmerer (Author)

Series: The Cursebreaker (1)

Eighteen for the three hundred twenty-seventh time, Prince Rhen despairs of breaking the curse that turns him into a beast at the end of each day until feisty Harper enters his life.
Member:LeicesterMSLibrary
Title:A Curse So Dark and Lonely (The Cursebreaker Series)
Authors:Brigid Kemmerer (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury YA (2019), 496 pages
Collections:New Books 2017/2018

A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer (2019)

instagram | blog | ko-fi | booksirens

”All you have to do is think of me, and I’ll appear in your dreams. I’ll help you chase the nightmares away.”

FORMAT READ: eBook (iBooks)
SIMILAR VIBES: To Kill A Kingdom
READ FOR: dark read, slow burn romance
SONG TO PUT YOU IN THE MOOD: God Help the Outcasts by Evynne Hollens / Evermore by Josh Groban
READING LEVEL: Level 1-2 out of 5

MY BLOG
SUPPORT ME ON KO-FI
*All of my reviews are as spoiler-free as possible unless states otherwise*

OVERALL: 3.5

Retellings are usually a hit or miss for me (either I absolutely love or hate it) but this is the first one that actually fell in the middle.

This book was very successful in translating the “So Dark and Lonely” mood that I felt so bad for Rhen the whole time. HE JUST WANTS TO BE LOVED, OKAY ;(((((

UPDATE (MAJOR SPOILER): But I actually did not ship him with Harper and now I know why hehe... I was actually pretty happy to find out that Grey is the actual Crown Prince and I am so much more excited for the second book just because I think it would be more interesting now that it's about Grey. I'm probably going to like the second book more and hopefully it makes me fall in love with this series. But for now, I stand by this review.

AND SWEET, BEAUTIFUL GREY!!! I needed to know more about him and I really wished we got more page time with him. I have to admit that I was a solid #TeamGrey because even though I felt bad for Rhen I am a sucker for dark haired cuties who can use any kind of weapon :”) Mild Spoiler: I WAS TEARY EYED WITH HIS ENDING… LIKE I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY?? I KINDA SAW IT COMING BUT AT THE SAME IT BROKE MY HEART FOR SOME REASON???

BUT BUT… I did not feel a lot of “Tale As Old As Time” vibes with this which was what I was looking for. The most I got was from Rhen’s endless internal monologues, which was actually very successful in adding that gloom and doom aura. The rise and fall of the plot was the same as the original story though. However, I didn’t get a lot of those gloom and doom from the world itself and especially not from Harper. She was just annoying me.

The Cerebral Palsy rep was actually pretty good which I appreciated since the rep was something I was looking forward to and at least that part satisfied me. It was not her defining quality and I really like how that played out into her story. It was there, but it wasn’t.. if you get what I mean.

The major thing that kept me reading was because I was so curious as to how everything would wrap up. I NEEDED to know how they would break the curse and what would happen to all of them. Which was a very effective tool and I have to say that it kept me guessing even though the plot kept straying from it.

Overall, it was still an enjoyable read even though I did not love it as much as I thought I would. I have a strong feeling I will like the second book a lot more... there were certain things that I just couldn't get over but I'm still really excited to continue the series.

PLOT: ★★★☆☆
I thought this was going to be high fantasy (for some reason) so I had a bit of trouble at first because I was itching for more world-building. But when I finally accepted that I’m here for the romance… the book became a bit more enjoyable for me.

But then, at some point, it tried to turn into a high fantasy right after I came to terms with the fact that I was here for the characters.

The plot is good though, nothing out of this world, but it was enjoyable. There were a lot of holes in the magic system which was a bit frustrating for me because it kept me from getting immersed in the book. I kind of wanted to see more action.

WRITING STYLE: ★★★★☆
The dark element was there (mostly with Rhen’s internal monologues). I honestly have no other critique other than.. it was okay. There were a lot of things I liked but there were also a lot that I did not. There were just holes in the writing that I couldn't get over.

WORLD BUILDING: ★★☆☆☆
I was not hooked into the world, sadly. There were a lot of elements missing for me and even though I’m no expert it just failed to let me believe that this was a real place somewhere (which is always what I am looking for in world building).

CHARACTERS: ★★★☆☆
Harper was just rubbing me the wrong way. she accepts the world quickly.. it felt a bit off.. I found Harper to be an inconsistent character. Sometimes she’s ready to throw knives at evil goddesses but then she gets scared when a man with a dagger comes her way. And since when was she an expert in battle strategies because there was once scene where she said to “divide them by skill”?? Who taught her? When did it happen? I want to know!!! I would have wanted to read about that and I think would have helped me get invested in her more. A lot of her dialogue made me cringe and she was not my favourite character.

Even though I liked the characters’ relationships with each other, it could have been flushed out more. BUT DONT GET ME WRONG, I actually liked all of them. They are all pretty much Cinnamon Rolls It was just hard to get invested into them since there is heavy focus on Harper and Rhen... and I did want to see more about Grey so I was a bit let down.

They were pretty amusing at some parts so PLUS POINTS

THEMES: ★★★★☆
I liked the themes because they were about Family, Promises, and whatnot. I just wished they were more prevalent or more well written (is that proper grammar? i don’t really care HAHA)

PACING: ★★★☆☆
This was a slow paced book which I usually do not like, especially with fantasy series. This is one of times. But I think this is more me than the book.

PAGE TURNER: ★★★★★
As I said earlier, the only thing that kept me going was because I just NEEDED to know how it would all turn out and wrap up in the end.

I’m sorry for the bit of a rant review again but NEVERTHELESS I NEED THE SECOND BOOK RIGHT NOW :)))))))) ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
I wasn't sure what to expect out of this book, but I was pleasantly surprised! Once I got started, I tore through it in just 2 sittings. Dual narration is always tricky, but I loved the distinct characters and I totally bought everyone's motives. I'm a little disappointed with where the story ended, because now that the curse is broken, I'm afraid it's going to become just a regular fantasy adventure and abandon any hint of fairy tales. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
awesome character growth and goes back to some of the darkness of the original fairytales. Really wish the final chapter wasn’t there. ( )
  JenniferElizabeth2 | Aug 25, 2020 |
I couldn’t put it down! ( )
  chefp | Jul 26, 2020 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Jul 22, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

To my new family at Stone Forge CrossFit

Thank you for showing me how much stronger I could be.
There is blood under my fingernails.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,805,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible