A Memoir of Jane Austen and Other Family…

A Memoir of Jane Austen and Other Family Recollections

by James Edward Austen-Leigh

207956,585 (3.69)10
    Jane Austen by Elizabeth Jenkins (graceatblb)
    Jane Austen: A Life by Claire Tomalin (GeraniumCat)
    GeraniumCat: An modern and authoritative life of Jane Austen, this is a must-read.

It was interesting , but it lack of obiectivity.
The author is honest and don't pretente to be an historian, but I felt him biased.
It wasn't my first Biography of Jane Austen so I think that coulb be the reason why I wasn't appalled. ( )
  Filzero | Nov 27, 2015 |
Written by Austen's nephew at the beginning of the 20th century, it is a classic of hagiography. It is valuable for its personal and close remembrances, its extracts of Austen's personal correspondence. But one should always keep in mind that the goal of the writer was to protect a family member's public reputation. ( )
  KirkLowery | Mar 4, 2014 |
A good memoir but short. ( )
  jamesfallen | Feb 7, 2014 |

James Edward Austen-Leighprimary authorall editionscalculated
Austen, CarolineAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Austen, HenryAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Austen, JaneAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefroy, AnnaAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutherland, KathrynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This work contains reminiscences by other relatives as well as the main work by J. E. Austen-Leigh. Please do not combine it with the editions which contain only the single memoir by J. E. Austen-Leigh.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192840746, Paperback)

James Edward Austen-Leigh's Memoir of his aunt Jane Austen was published in 1870, over fifty years after her death. Together with the shorter recollections of James Edward's two sisters, Anna Lefroy and Caroline Austen, the Memoir remains the prime authority for her life and continues to inform all subsequent accounts. These are family memories, the record of Jane Austen's life shaped and limited by the loyalties, reserve, and affection of nieces and nephews recovering in old age the outlines of the young aunt they had each known. They still remembered the shape of her bonnet and the tone of her voice, and their first-hand accounts bring her vividly before us. Their declared partiality also raises fascinating issues concerning biographical truth, and the terms in which all biography functions.

This edition brings together for the first time these three memoirs, and also includes Jane's brother Henry Austen's "Biographical Notice" of 1818 and his less known "Memoir" of 1833.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:47 -0400)

Published in 1870, this was the first full-length biography of Jane Austen. Written by her nephew, it is filled with loving family remembrances as well as details of social and domestic life in rural England. Austen-Leigh's biography is the most influential source on Austen scholarship outside of Austen's own writings.… (more)

43 wanted4 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,498,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible