She (Oxford World's Classics) by H.…

She (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1887; edition 2008)

by H. Rider Haggard (Author), Daniel Karlin (Editor)

Series: Ayesha (1)

Member:ianlewisfiction
Title:She (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:H. Rider Haggard (Author)
Other authors:Daniel Karlin (Editor)
Info:Oxford University Press (2008), Edition: 1, 384 pages

She by H. Rider Haggard (1887)

The Insidious Doctor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer (clif_hiker)
    The Sibyl by Pär Lagerkvist (peleiades22)
    The Queen of the Damned (Vampire Chronicles) by Anne Rice (Anonymous user)
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (Torikton)
    Torikton: Ms. Peters plays gleefully with the conventions of the Lost World genre, including those set forth by H. Rider Haggard.

English (50)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (53)
Review pending ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 1, 2016 |
Bill Homewood's narration really added to my enjoyment of this classic. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 1, 2016 |
Very imaginative story that is a little too concerned with female power for my taste. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jul 11, 2016 |
This is the first novel I have read as a young girl, I've read it over and over again a lot of times, I bought a new edition because mine was worn out, I love it!! I always wonder why didn't they make it into a movie (A new adaption I mean)?!? It's the best fantasy novel ever!!! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Wilcock, J. R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She (1935IMDb)
She (1965IMDb)
She (2001IMDb)
In earth and skie and sea /
Strange thynges ther be.
I inscribe this history to Andrew Lang in token of personal regard and of my sincere admiration for his learning and his works
In giving to the world the record of what, looked at as an adventure only, is I suppose one of the most wonderful and mysterious experiences ever undergone by mortal men, I feel it incumbent on me to explain what my exact connection with it is.
The narrator of She, Ludwig Horace Holly, is conspicuous for his lack of family. (Introduction)
She-who-must-be-obeyed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0192835505, Paperback)

Ayesha is She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, a 2,000-year-old queen who rules a fabled lost city deep in a maze of African caverns. She has the occult wisdom of Isis, the eternal youth and beauty of Aphrodite, and the violent appetite of a lamia. Like A. Conan Doyle's Lost World, She is one of those magnificent Victorian yarns about an expedition to a far-off locale shadowed by magic, mystery, and death.

Tim Stout writes, in Horror: 100 Best Books, "As the plot takes hold one has the fancy that [Ayesha] had always existed, in some dark dimension of the imagination, and that [H. Rider] Haggard was the fortunate author to whom she chose to reveal herself." Haggard did, in fact, write this book in a six-week burst of feverish inspiration: "It came faster than my poor aching hand could set it down," he later said.

This edition of the 1887 classic features an introductory essay by literary critic Regina Barreca, who likens Ayesha to Flaubert's Madame Bovary or Tolstoy's Anna Karenina--"literally fantastic female figures who must be stopped before they love again."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

"A runaway bestseller on its publication in 1887, H. Rider Haggard's She is a Victorian thrill ride of a novel, featuring a lost African kingdom ruled by a mysterious, implacable queen; ferocious wildlife and yawning abysses; and an eerie love story that spans two thousand years. She has bewitched readers from Freud and Jung to C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien; in her Introduction to this Modern Library Paperback Classic - which includes period illustrations by Maurice Greiffenhagen and Charles H.M. Kerr - Margaret Atwood asserts that the awe-inspiring Ayesha, "She-who-must-be-obeyed," is "a permanent feature of the human imagination.""--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,165,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible