Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Liberty Falling by Nevada Barr

Liberty Falling (1999)

by Nevada Barr

This is the story of Anna Pigeon and her visit to New York when her sister, Molly gets sick and is in the hospital at Columbia-Presbyterian. Anna ends up staying with a friend on Liberty Island. The mystery was very well done. I got this paperback from free from the library because a friend in a reading group has read this author and highly recommended her. The mystery was very well done and the book held my attention throughout. This book was supposed to be my "read while I am eating" book but then on 3/11/19 I started reading while the cable guy was hooking up cable and finished the book. The story was well written, good editing, and good character development. This is my first time reading this author and I so enjoyed the book I will be reading more by her. ( )
  CrystalToller | May 25, 2019 |
This book is set in New York City and the federal park involved is Lady Liberty and the close by Ellis Island. Anna Pigeon lived in NYC before with her husband but after he was killed by a motor vehicle she left for the life of a ranger in the national parks. At this point in her life she is stationed in Mesa Verde park (scene of the book Ill Wind) but she comes back to New York when her only sibling, her sister Molly, is gravely ill in hospital. Anna is staying on Liberty Island with a friend who works for the National Parks Service so she is somewhat removed from the hustle and bustle of big city life. However, since it is late June the harbour is lively with boats some of which place their music loud late into the night. Anna just isn't used to big city noise anymore but she has to stay until Molly gets better. However, she can't stay at the hospital all the time, especially since her ex-boyfriend, Frederick Stanton who has fallen in love with Molly, shows up and is wooing Molly in her hospital bed. So Anna spends some of her free time exploring the decrepit ruins of Islands II and III of Ellis Island. She almost comes to grief when one of the staircases crumbles under her but ends up with nothing worse than a gash to her thigh. Then she discovers one of the actresses hired at Ellis Island for the summer historical pageants bashed on the head and close to death. When a guard at Lady Liberty falls to his death one evening and it doesn't seem like suicide, it is starting to look like it is dangerous even on Lady Liberty. Of course, Anna is right in the thick of it.

Maybe because all the other books by this author I have read have been set in the outdoors I wasn't as taken with the setting. As a Canadian, Lady Liberty and Ellis Island don't mean anything to me but I'm sure for Americans, especially ones who emigrated through New York, this would be a fascinating read. However, like Anna, I can hardly wait to get back into the open spaces in her books. I've sort of read this series higgeldy-piggeldy. Two of the other books that I have read (Ill Wind and Flashback) took place before this one but two are set after (Blood Lure and High Country). I have to admit that I have forgotten some salient details about Anna's life (like Frederick Stanton) but it doesn't really seem to matter. Each book stands on its own well so I guess I'll just keep reading the series as books come my way. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 8, 2017 |
It's been a long time since I read this book but I have read the entire series, up until the most current book and I really like it. I love how the series is set outdoors in the different parks. If you like C.J. Box, then you'll like Barr too. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Liberty Falling is a solid book, but I don't think I would have liked it without reading the previous 6 books in the series. As another reviewer stated, I am glad this was not the first Anna Pigeon book I read because I would have stopped here. AS usual, Nevada Barr's descriptions of the Park makes me want to go there. If you have read the previous books read this one. Just don't start with this book. ( )
  ecurb | Mar 17, 2016 |
Finally I get to the book that the person who recommended this series highlighted. I love all the Anna Pigeon books, but this one especially since it's set "at home". Like all of these, they make me want to visit the parks and in this case it's actually possible.
While it's someone dated and quite possibly pre 911, it's a really good look at the Statue. I loved the inside look with Charlie. What a passion.
Related to the ebook itself, the quality isn't that look and some "Ferrys" read as "Berry" and "Kerry". Surprising as the other ones are solid. ( )
  skinglist | Jun 9, 2015 |
For Trish:
once my agent, twice my editor, always my friend
Of course Molly would live, anything else was unthinkable.

There is peril beneath the watchful eyes of the Lady ...

When Anna Pigeon left New York City after her husband was killed, she hoped it would be forever. But now her sister Molly is clinging to life in an uptown hospital ICU, so Anna has reluctantly returned. Rooming with a friend and fellow park ranger in close quarters on Liberty Island - the small strip of land that is home to Lady Liberty - Anna spends her free time exploring the grand monument and the crumbling, overgrown, and eerie ruins in the unrestored sections of nearby Ellis Island. But the peace she seeks here is shattered when she finds herself among a crowd gathered at the Lady's base, staring at the broken body of a teenager who fell - or was pushed - to her death.
The reason behind the young girls' fatal plunge is not the only mystery alive on these historic sites - nor will hers be the only death. Hidden in a dangerous labyrinth of stone, glass, and steel are secrets Anna Pigeon is now compelled to uncover ... and an insidious threat to herself and to others that could wreck havoc on a nation's proudest day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380728273, Mass Market Paperback)

Imagine Nevada Barr's delight in discovering that there is actually a national park right smack in the middle of New York City--Gateways Park, which encompasses Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. She could continue her splendid series about park ranger Anna Pigeon and still do some serious shopping at Bendel's and Berghdorf's, the kind of stores you don't find in the New Mexico cave setting of Blind Descent (her last adventure). The ploy works: Barr is probably the only mystery writer who could see a natural environment under New York's slick and sleazy skin.

Anna is in Manhattan to look after her sister Molly, seriously ill with pneumonia and a kidney infection. Pigeon moves in with a ranger friend who has a place on Ellis Island. There's not much natural wildlife unless you count her feathered namesakes, but she still manages to find a lot to contemplate--especially the suspicious suicide of a teenage girl who leaps from Liberty's ledge, followed not long after by the security guard who tried to stop her. But Anna's snooping puts her own life in jeopardy. She survives several attacks and a near drowning--events as frightening as any of the fires, floods, and hurricanes from her past adventures. Barr neatly ties up her plot--ending with a brilliant chase scene across the waters from Manhattan to Liberty Island. What next for Anna? Is there a national park in Las Vegas? --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:43 -0400)

While in New York to visit her desperately ill sister, park ranger Anna Pigeon becomes drawn into an investigation of a series of strange murders in Statue of Liberty Park.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,486,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible