Ungeduld des Herzens…

Ungeduld des Herzens (Stefan-Zweig-Bücher 6) (original 1939; edition 2013)

by Stefan Zweig (Author)

1,1953410,319 (4.17)135
Member:Dija
Title:Ungeduld des Herzens (Stefan-Zweig-Bücher 6)
Authors:Stefan Zweig (Author)
Info:(2013), 388 pages
Tags:read in 2018

Beware of Pity by Stefan Zweig (Author) (1939)

Passion by Igino Ugo Tarchetti (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: The outlines of these novels are so similar that I rather wonder if Zweig had the earlier novel in mind when writing his.

English (21)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (34)
For the first time in my life I began to realise that it is not evil and brutality, but nearly always weakness, that is to blame for the worst things that happen in this world.

A simple yet effective cautionary tale on the slippery slope from empathy to pity, the novel captures the emotional maturation of the protagonist and explores the difficult question of how much responsibility we should take for other people's happiness, how too much (as well as too little) of kindness can actually turn into cruelty. It reminded me of The prose is kept deft and light by the translators, Phyllis and Trevor Blewitt, complementing well with the overall narrative.

Recommended for those in the formative years of emotional maturity.

Aside: The main question posed by the story - what makes A Good Person - reminds me strongly of the Prince in . ( )
  kitzyl | Dec 31, 2018 |
Beware of Pity was first published in 1939 and looks back to the eve of another war, in 1914 on the borders of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It’s a simple story, about an act of kindness that goes horribly wrong – and Zweig’s percipient understanding of human nature means that it resonates strongly even today.

Our protagonist is Anton Hofmiller, a young lieutenant in the Austro-Hungarian cavalry who finds himself stationed in a quiet garrison town. Living on a tight salary, Hofmiller is bored by a tedious round of mess dinners, trips to the cafe and unsatisfying flirtations with the local girls. Unsurprisingly, he leaps at the chance to be introduced to a local worthy, Herr von Kekesfalva, who is renowned for feting young officers and providing splendid dinners. A party at the nobleman’s estate gives Hofmiller a glimpse of the kind of elegant life he pines for. There’s excellent wine, good company and, most appealing of all, two young women: Kekesfalva’s radiant niece Ilona, and his frail daughter Edith...

For the rest of the review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2018/01/17/beware-of-pity-stefan-zweig/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Jan 23, 2018 |
This is a brilliant page turner. Read Stefan Zweig, and be drawn into the web of great story telling.
  ivanfranko | Mar 31, 2017 |
I love this author and the book, as others have reviewed is rather depressing, but insightful. It forewarns of pity and gives constant examples; however, in this world of today I don't think we have to worry about that too much. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |

Blewitt, TrevorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hirvensalo, LauriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Katz, JonathanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krogvig, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meulen, Janneke van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sterkenburg, Reinier P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vanhamme, GuyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"To him that hath, to him shall be given." (Introduction)
The whole affair began with a piece of ineptitude, of entirely accidental foolishness, a faux pas, as the French would say.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 190128543X, Paperback)

In 1913 a young second lieutenant discovers the terrible dangers of pity. He had no idea the girl was lame when he asked her to dance - his compensatory afternoon calls relieve his guilt but give her a dangerous glimmer of hope. Stefan Zweig's only novel is a devastatingly unindulgent realization of the torment of the betrayal of both honor and love, realized against the background of the disintegration of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Stefan Zweig was born in 1881 into a wealthy Viennese Jewish family. He studied at the Universities of Berlin and Vienna and was first known as a poet and translator, then as a biographer. Zweig traveled widely, living in Salzburg, London and New York before settling in Brazil where he and his wife were found dead in 1942.

Also available by Stefan Zweig

The Invisible Collection/Buchmendel

TP $14.00, 1-901285-00-6 CUSA

Casanova - A Study in Self-Portraiture

TP $14.00, 1-901285-18-9 CUSA

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:06 -0400)

In 1913 a young second lieutenant discovers the terrible danger of pity. He had no idea the girl was lame when he asked her to dance - his compensatory afternoon calls relieve his guilt but give her a dangerous glimmer of hope. Stefan Zweig's only novel is a devastating depiction of the torment of the betrayal of both honour and love, realised against the background of the disintegration of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.… (more)

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,412,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible