Hope ... Anyway

Hope ... Anyway

1511943,219 (3.58)None

Hope... Anyway is an an enjoyable, family oriented book. It delves into alcoholism and family relations. I really enjoyed the characters and felt a connection to them. Would definitely recommend for someone looking for a quick read. ( )
  alieceey | Apr 10, 2019 |
I received a copy of this book in return for a review.

It is a study about alcoholism in all its nastiness and abuse inflicted upon families dealing with the disease. The story was told by a child/teenager so the wording fit the character. It was a quick read (about 3 hours), but I didn't want to put the book down. I wanted to see what happened to this family.

For anyone who has dealt with alcoholism in their family this story rings true for the effect it has on the children. The only way for a child to cope with abuse is to become good at something which can make their life meaningful. In this case running track was the saving activity for these children. It allowed them to block out what was happening at home and gave them something concrete in a world full of uncertainty.

It was also a nod to AA and Alanon/Alateen and showed how these organizations can help people dealing with alcoholism in their lives. It really shows how those living with this have to keep the secret. They have to pretend everything is ok, even with their own relatives.

I enjoyed the book and think it would be a good read for any person (especially a teenager) dealing with alcoholism in the home. ( )
  hazeleyeflgal | Apr 10, 2019 |
Zimbell House Publishing, LLC
PO Box 1172
Union Lake, MI 48387

December 2, 2018

Re: Hope…Anyway

Dear Ms. Zimmer,

I’m writing to thank you and your team for this gift. It can sometimes be difficult to review a book, especially a debut work but I happened to enjoy this one.

Walsh takes what we call a typical case study about a family struggling with alcoholism and brings that story to life. She caught my attention right from the prologue; Dr. Seuss should catch anyone’s attention really.

I enjoyed the novel and completed it in three days. That’s important to note because Hope…Anyway was my follow up on Mitch Albom’s newest novel and he’s one of my favorites. I felt a range of emotions and laughed some but “…the muffled reply to the reckoning of [her] heart” was a power punch that I’m sure a lot of suffering teens will feel if they read this novel.
Sincerely,

Nicky Sams
Instagram handle: experiencethisbook
librarything ID: experiencethisbook

PS. There are a handful of revisions needed. Here’s one (page 188): “I didn’t say word one during that meeting.” / Should be “…one word during…” ( )
  experiencethisbook | Dec 2, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An enjoyable read. A bit slow to start, but overall I found it engaging. I wish the book had been more like an epistolary novel and included more lists to further the story, as the lists themselves became distracting when they did show up. But i did like the asides in the form of "A Walker Trio Extra"s throughout, and the formatting of the chapters/asides/lists worked to the author's advantage. ( )
  beerankin | Sep 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an ARC of Hope ... Anyway and here's the honest review.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Hope ... Anyway. I like Heidi, Bean, Madari, and Billy and I enjoyed reading about them, even if enjoy seems a bit of a strange weird considering the spiral Joy sends the family on throughout the book. I also like the way the book opens and then you kind of forget what's happened until the whole thing circles back at the end.

But the ending is somehow too easy or too neat and feels fake. Or maybe it's simply that it feels like pieces of the story are missing. Why do Joy and Jerry separate when they seem to cling to one another desperately, even as they fight? Is it because Joy's horrified by her lashing out at her daughter or was there another moment of clarity that is later dulled by Joy's continued dive into the bottle? I honestly had to flip back and make sure I didn't skip a few pages somehow because it was a pretty abrupt shift.

Overall, I think it's a solid read that could have benefited from being fleshed out a bit more. Also, why is Bean suddenly referred to as the Bean at the end? Maybe that's something I spaced on earlier in the book or something that won't make it to the final product. ( )
  Impy | Aug 26, 2018 |
To My Brother Andrew: So grateful to have shared so much of my journey with you.
"I'm not going in that house, and you can't make me!" I slammed the door that Mama left open and settled into my seat, crossing my arms tightly across my chest.
The shot hit the Fann. And we were dead.

I imagine that I will always, always feel a connection to and love for the underdog.

Heidi discovers, Brother Bean right along side, it's okay to hope. (Walshwriter)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

's book Hope ... Anyway is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

's book Hope ... Anyway was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,144,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible