Arranged Marriage: Stories by Chitra…

Arranged Marriage: Stories (1996)

by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

English (12)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (14)
The writing is not bad; good even. It's the stories that pull the book down to two stars. I found most, if not all, of the stories really depressing, and hard to connect to. It was more like an observation. The one that I possibly enjoyed the most was the one with the maid servant - not because the story was uplifting but because it was an engaging and relatively "lively" story.

I also found that the book lacked to make a statement. Both arranged marriage and "love" marriage situations are shown to be miserable. It didn't really reflect "arranged marriage" in modern India at all. As someone who grew up there in the 90s, the world presented in this book is mostly foreign to me. This book is a confused pile of depressing stories and fails to make an impact or take a stance. If this book was a person, I would tell it: "Have a dream... but pick one!"

Hopefully her other works are better. ( )
  meowism | May 17, 2016 |

I normally love her work, as most of it is uplifting w/ a mixture of spirituality & magical realism. This book of short stories fell short for me.

It was because there was nothing redeeming about the misogynistic culture and feudal expectations that the women in these stories had to live with & endure.

Lyrical as the writing was, the romance of India was portrayed for what it is/was.... oppressing.

I'm glad I read it, but it left me wanting one of her other "feel good" stories. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
In her debut collection of short stories, Divakaruni explores the ways in which women raised with traditional values try to balance the realities of a new existence in America.

I love short stories and there are some really great ones in this collection. Most deal with the push/pull a woman experiences when she feels honor bound to long-held traditional beliefs, yet tempted to break free in a new country with very different rules. The women in these stories struggle to find their place, sometimes suffering great loss while breaking free from the restraints of centuries of tradition. They range from college students living with relatives, to young brides, to single professional women, to long-married middle-aged wives and mothers.

The women may be different form one another, and very different from me, but I was able to connect to each and every one of them. We share the struggle between living up to others’ expectations and following our own dreams.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
*Loved* this collection. ( )
  mirshad | May 28, 2015 |
These stories are different from the normal sob stories of Indians living abroad. Nice to read something a little different. ( )
  milti | Dec 14, 2011 |
To
my mother, Tatini, with gratitude
my husband, Murthy, with love
my sons, Anand and Abhay, with hope
That year Mother cried a lot, nights.

A debut collection of stories featuring Indian-born women whose ties to tradition and memories of home intrude on their new lives in America. Each story is complete in itself, but together they create a tapestry as colorful, as delicate, and as enduring as the finest silk sari.

Although Chitra Divakaruni's poetry has won praise and awards for many years, it is her "luminous, exquisitely crafted prose" (Ms.) that is quickly making her one of the brightest rising stars in the changing face of American literature. Arranged Marriage, her first collection of stories, spent five weeks on the San Francisco Chronicle bestseller list and garnered critical acclaim that would have been extraordinary for even a more established author.For the young girls and women brought to life in these stories, the possibility of change, of starting anew, is both as terrifying and filled with promise as the ocean that separates them from their homes in India. From the story of a young bride whose fairy-tale vision of California is shattered when her husband is murdered and she must face the future on her own, to a proud middle-aged divorced woman determined to succeed in San Francisco, Divakaruni's award-winning poetry fuses here with prose for the first time to create eleven devastating portraits of women on the verge of an unforgettable transformation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:06 -0400)

A collection of short stories describing the changes women immigrants from India face when confronted with different societal values in the United States.

Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,556,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible