The Annotated Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

The Annotated Big Sleep (edition 2018)

by Raymond Chandler (Author), Owen Hill (Editor), Pamela Jackson (Editor), Anthony Rizzuto (Editor)

242627,990 (5)6
Member:Crispi
Title:The Annotated Big Sleep
Authors:Raymond Chandler (Author)
Other authors:Owen Hill (Editor), Pamela Jackson (Editor), Anthony Rizzuto (Editor)
Info:Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (2018), Edition: Annotated, 512 pages
Collections:Personal collection, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Annotated, Crime fiction, Mystery

The Annotated Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

Well, this was delightful, which is not usually how one would describe noir, but I have BIG love for The Big Sleep, both the book and the movie. I grew up watching Humphrey Bogart bring characters like Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe to life, and even now whenever I read Hammett and Chandler, it is Bogart's voice I hear in my head narrating the story. I love the darkness and the grittiness found in these pages, but also the clever use of dialogue and the language that is a world of its own. I love how Chandler makes the city a living breathing thing - a device that has been much copied by his admirers. When I heard that there was an annotated edition coming out for the first time ever, I immediately pre-ordered it. What a treat. The editors did a brilliant job of deciding what to highlight and also of choosing the book's layout. The original text is on the lefthand page and the notes are on the facing righthand page, making it so easy and enjoyable to read the story and the notes in tandem. And the size of the book is perfect - an oversized paperback that stays open without one having to fight or break the spine. I wasn't sure what they would choose to include, but I hoped for discussion on how the novel and the movie compared. I got this and so much more - maps and photos of the city of Los Angeles from Chandler's time, comparisons between the book and the movie with discussion about why certain things were changed, definitions and origins of the slang that is used throughout the text, and excerpts from the original pulp stories that Chandler used to piece together the novel - he stole the best bits from stories he previously sold to magazines to give us some of the most memorable moments of the novel, changing names and some content to gift us with an even better version. And I laughed out loud when I read that during the making of the movie they queried Chandler about who actually killed Owen Taylor - the movie is one you have to watch several times to wrap your head around the plot, which, to me, is part of its charm. Anyway, Chandler responded that he had no idea. I LOVE this! All this to say that the annotated edition met and exceeded my expectations - highly recommended to anyone with an appreciation of and/or a fascination with noir. ( )
1 vote Crazymamie | Aug 14, 2018 |
I would like to thank NetGalley and Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group for a copy of The Annotated Big Sleep for an honest review.

Raymond Chandler's first novel, The Big Sleep, is a masterpiece of the noir and is on the "1001 Books to Read Before You Die List" and I always wanted to read it. This annotated book gives notes and images alongside the full text of the novel. I was able to gain insight of what Los Angeles was like during the 1920's which included maps and images of famous buildings, notes from Chandler's personal letters, pictures of hairstyles and clothing from the characters and an analysis of class, gender, sexuality and ethnicity mentioned in the book. The main character, Philip Marlowe, was brought to life along with pictures of Humphrey Bogart and Robert Mitchum who played Marlowe on film. Not only was I able to enjoy reading The Big Sleep but I got a lot more than I bargained for by reading The Annotated Big Sleep.

Credit for this version of The Big Sleep should be given to the editors, Owen Hill, Pamela Jackson and Anthony Rizzuto, who did an excellent job putting this book together. I would highly recommend this book as an addition to any crime fiction fan's library and hope that you would enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed reading The Annotated Big Sleep. ( )
1 vote EadieB | May 12, 2018 |

Is an expanded version of

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,532,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible