Measle and the Wrathmonk by Ian Ogilvy

Measle and the Wrathmonk (2004)

by Ian Ogilvy

Series: Measle (1)

Well written, nicely drawn characters, interesting setting, author builds a nice sense of comraderie among his characters. For me it seemed like the imaginative scope was a little limited and, beyond the cool setting, a little dull. But that's just me--I think I'm always looking for something that will blow my mind these days. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Oct 30, 2012 |
I found this title by sheer chance. I was familiar with the author's acting credits but hadn't known Ian Ogilvy wrote books, let alone children's books. Well, my ignorance has been remedied and thanks to the luminous vocal talents of Nicholas Grace, just about one of the most AMAZING actors to have graced stage and screen, Measle and the Wrathmonk is a delight to listen to let alone read. Grace's acting ability transforms what might normally be an ordinary but entertaining narration into a radio play like performance that dazzles listeners. Distinct accents as well as cadences for each character bring this story to life in a way reading on one's own never could. The first in a series of Measle tales, I look forward to Grace's future interpretation of Measle's adventures. ( )
1 vote EM_Egan | Mar 29, 2009 |
if you like Roal Dahl...this is kinda a Britishy combination between the Witches and Unfortunate Events
  aletheia21 | Dec 11, 2008 |
Measle and the Wrathmonk by Ian Ogilvy is one of my new favourite chapter book series for middle grade readers. Ten year old Measle lives a deplorable life. He is hungry most of the time, he is fifthy and lives in a wretched house with a menacing guardian. He has been told that his parents were killed by a snake but Measle is unconvinced and hopes he will be reunited one day.

Although the set up of Measle and the Wrathmonk seems all too familiar (orphaned child, deplorable conditions), Ogilvy creates unexpected and exciting twists and turns that are sure to engage young readers. Measle is a winner and well worth trying with reluctant readers. Additional books in the series include Measle and the Dragodon, Measle and the Mallockee.
  storytimestandouts | Aug 26, 2008 |
Normally when presented with a celebrity's children's book the heart sinks - but Ian 'The Saint' Ogilvy's first novel for children is a triumph, a hugely inventive Dahl-esque adventure in which the pace never flags and the reader's attention never allowed to waver. Measle is a miserable, mistreated orphan living with his thoroughly unpleasant, decidedly strange guardian Basil Tramplebone. When Measle dares to play with his uncle's fabulous model railway his life becomes even worse: Basil shrinks him to the size of one of the tiny figures on the model - and leaves him as a treat for his pet bat. But Measle finds other miniaturised human victims of Tramplebone's anger on the model and, with a resourcefulness and courage he never knew he had, leads them in a desperate battle against bat, Basil - and finally Basil in the form of a giant cockroach. Mould's illustrations and even the glorious day-glo plastic cover add to the book's irresistible appeal. Category: 8-10 Junior/Middle. Rating: **** (Very Good). ...., Oxford University Press, 200pp, D8.99 flexi. Ages 8 to 10.
  Junep | Feb 25, 2008 |

Colossal Adventures in a miniature world

Measle Stubbs lives with Basil Tramplebone, his dreary, horrible guardian. His life is miserable, and gets worse when Measle finds himself on the wrong end of one of Basil's evil spells. Now he's half an inch tall and trapped in a toy train set. But when Measle joins up with Basil's other victims, he becomes more than just a smelly little orphan. Suddenly he's a hero ... with a plan!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:31 -0400)

Twelve-year-old orphan Measle Stubbs is shrunk down to half an inch tall and placed in a train set by his evil guardian, the Wrathmonk.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,247,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible