Nina Balatka by Anthony Trollope

Nina Balatka (1867)

by Anthony Trollope

"There has been no girl connected with decent people who has ever so degraded herself"
By sally tarbox on 10 March 2017
Format: Kindle Edition
Set in 19th century Prague, this is the tale of a lovely - but poor - Christian girl, and her love for stern, wealthy - but Jewish - Anton Trendellsohn. A mixed marriage in such a racially divided city is always going to be difficult, and as incensed relatives, jealous would-be lovers and interfering servants get involved (on both sides), the union seems fraught with problems. But there is a further issue: someone on Nina's side is in possession of deeds properly belonging to the Trendellsohns. Can Anton retrieve what is rightly his - and is it Nina herself who is concealing them?

Well written and enjoyable. As a shorter Trollope work (195p) maybe you don't get quite as caught up in the characters as in the superlative Pallisers etc. But interesting to read a novel of the era that has some sympathies with the Jewish plight. ( )
1 vote starbox | Mar 9, 2017 |
very good; about a Jewish man and a Christian girl; more of a novelette than a novel, actually caused a few tears which Trollope novels rarely do; read in Maui 2/08 ( )
  lindawwilson | Feb 19, 2008 |
My English teacher of two years loved Trollope, to the extent that I think he made sure that we got all of Trollope novels in the school library. (I suspect I was probably the only one who read any of them, at least at the time.) So it shouldn't come as a suprise that he wanted us to study one of the Trollope novels. That novel was Nina Balatka, about a poor Jewish girl in Prague who falls in love with a rich Christian boy (unless I remember it all wrong, I haven't read it since my finals).

This edition of the novel also contains Linda Tressel, another shortish novel on very similar themes. ( )
  queen_ypolita | Aug 14, 2006 |
Nina Balatka was a maiden of Prague, born of Christian parents, and herself a Christian - but she loved a Jew; and this is her story.

A novel in "The Penguin Trollope" series, which contains all of Trollope's novels, short stories and autobiography published in the order in which they were written.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:01 -0400)

A Christian girl of Prague falls in love with a Jewish merchant. One of the few novels published anonymously by Trollope, who was trying (unsuccessfully and unnecessarily) to disguise his style.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,991,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible