Late have I loved thee by Ethel Mannin

Late have I loved thee (1948)

by Ethel Mannin

Confessions by Augustine (lisanicholas)
    lisanicholas: Mannin's novel is modeled on the real-life spiritual autobiography of St Augustine of Hippo. Read the original!
    The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton (lisanicholas)
    lisanicholas: Merton's real-life story parallels that of the protagonist in "Late Have I Loved Thee."

745. Late Have I Loved Thee, by Ethel Mannin (read 30 Jul 1963) I read this right after my mother died and I was susceptible to its theme, as I recall. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 12, 2013 |
This novel is the story of a twentieth century Augustine -- a worldly young man who forsakes his worldly status and success when he finds God. The title is a quotation from Book I of St Augustine of Hippo's Confessions -- "Late have I loved Thee, beauty ever ancient and ever new!" The plot is largely a fictionalized updating of Augustine's own journey into faith. I first read this as a teenager, many years before I ever read Augustine's Confessions, and a few years before I discovered Thomas Merton's The Seven Story Mountain, the true story of Merton's own life, which in many ways also parallels that of St Augustine. ( )
  lisanicholas | Aug 19, 2010 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,634,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible