Connections in Death: An Eve Dallas Novel…

Connections in Death: An Eve Dallas Novel (In Death, 48) (edition 2019)

by J. D. Robb (Author)

Series: In Death (48)

In this gritty and gripping new novel in the #1 New York Times bestselling series, Eve Dallas fights to save the innocent--and serve justice to the guilty--on the streets of New York. Homicide cop Eve Dallas and her billionaire husband, Roarke, are building a brand-new school and youth shelter. They know that the hard life can lead kids toward dangerous crossroads--and with this new project, they hope to nudge a few more of them onto the right path. For expert help, they hire child psychologist Dr. Rochelle Pickering--whose own brother pulled himself out of a spiral of addiction and crime with Rochelle's support. Lyle is living with Rochelle while he gets his life together, and he's thrilled to hear about his sister's new job offer. But within hours, triumph is followed by tragedy. Returning from a celebratory dinner with her boyfriend, she finds Lyle dead with a syringe in his lap, and Eve's investigation confirms that this wasn't just another OD. After all his work to get clean, Lyle's been pumped full of poison--and a neighbor with a peephole reports seeing a scruffy, pink-haired girl fleeing the scene. Now Eve and Roarke must venture into the gang territory where Lyle used to run, and the ugly underground world of tattoo parlors and strip joints where everyone has taken a wrong turn somewhere. They both believe in giving people a second chance. Maybe even a third or fourth. But as far as they're concerned, whoever gave the order on Lyle Pickering's murder has run out of chances...… (more)
Member:bookworminc
Title:Connections in Death: An Eve Dallas Novel (In Death, 48)
Authors:J. D. Robb (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2019), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages
Collections:Read

Connections in Death by J. D. Robb

Recently added bymarolyn, JimFellows, macjest, CoinLibrary, AnnabellleCasey, private library, 1Elicia, Mrs.Ashworth

Probably not the greatest idea to jump into a series with book 48. Thought I gave it try anyway because I found there are many series I love without starting with the first book. This wasn't one of those. I've tried 2 other Nora Roberts novels, this is the only one I finished. Narrator - good, story - meh. ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
Listened to audio narrated well by Susan Ericksen. She really brings the New York out in this futuristic crime drama. I can't imagine another narrator for this series.

I really enjoyed this installment of Eve and Peabody's life finding murderers and giving them what they have coming to them. We also get introduced to a new character that I hope will become part of the inner circle. child psychologist Dr. Rochelle Pickering. Rourke is hiring her to head An Didean and she's also Crack's new lady. I loved getting to see Crack again, even if the circumstances aren't all happy.

Eve gets called in to a murder that is staged to look like a young man fell off the wagon and OD'd. This small beginning leads Eve and Peabody and the NYPD down a rabbit hole of underground gangs and way more than a murder of a man who had turned his life around and didn't deserve to die.

Robb really checked all the boxes for me this time around. Not only did I get the comfort of the 'In Death' formula but she brought all the feels from the shock and desolation of finding someone you love dead to the sadness, frustration and anger for the cause as she slowly peels back all the layers that lead up to it happening. The language and slang all felt so real, between the writing and the narration I felt like I was right there with Eve. Great read, highly recommend.

If you like my reviews I hope you will follow my blog. https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/
  wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |
So, my initial thoughts of "Connections in Death" hold. However, I have to admit that I can't give this five stars because I am now realizing it's a bit off that Eve doesn't get that maybe other people have different upbringings and it's not all roses. I am happy that we get to see another side of New York though and it's not just the rich and famous all of the time.

"Connections in Death" focuses on Eve investigating when a woman she just meets comes home to find her brother Lyle dead from an apparent drug overdose. The connections in the title refers to the fact that Rochelle is not only connected to Roarke (he interviews her for a position at one of his "houses" he is building for young girls) but also Crack (from the very first In Death book I think). When Eve meets Rochelle at a party that Nadine throws she gets her hackles up a bit because apparently she has learned nothing about being overly involved in who her male friends date. Seriously I will forever be salty about the DeWinter thing. Thank goodness though Roarke makes her see she's being a dumbass. I loved the unraveling story in this one and we actually get to see more of Eve investigating and taking notice of people and histories. Eve finding out about gangs in New York is not really part of what she does, but she does end up talking to Strong again in this one (which I loved).

There is growth to Eve in this one. She realizes that sometimes the system doesn't work for a lot of people. Her finding out about what the gangs have been up to (extortion, rape, drug running, assault, etc.) knocks her for a bit. That said there was some light moments too. I laughed a bunch of times when we have Eve bringing in food for her squad and everyone automatically thinking it was Roarke that did it and thanked him instead.

Roarke was pitch perfect in this one. There were no dumb couple fights. Just two people supporting each other. I maybe laughed at Roarke wanting to take down an attorney and realizing it was too easy. And I loved that he was really busy and couldn't be there all of the time like he should have done in prior books.

Peabody was not as annoying. I maybe got a bit irked when she starts singing about love and romance and knows they are going to a morgue to view a dead man that is connected to at least two people she knows. I am still on the train that Peabody is still a straight psychopath.

Mira was in this too, but for once her expertise is allowed to shine. We don't have Eve just going to her and telling Mira her read on a potential suspect (which has happened in the last bunch of books which drove me up the wall).

We get glimpses of Nadine, Mavis, and others, but I was glad to see Crack again and he was actually great. It was nice to see Eve knocked a bit off her axis. I am starting to wonder if Crack is her only friend that is a POC. Hmm I think two of her people working for her are too, but to me they are not really friends, they work for her. Anyway, it was a nice change for an "In Death" book to look more at POC. I hope the next one doesn't just have them being the central plot point on gangs though.

The writing was really good in this one. Everything seems well researched and I liked the introduction of new characters in this one that we get. The flow was really good too. I will say that sometimes it's okay if Eve can't nail every suspect. Her close rate has to be like 100 percent at this point. It would be fine that maybe she doesn't get everyone and then she lives with that and they follow it up in a book later down in the series. Heck even Sandford did a good job with setting up Lucas Davenport with his own Moriarty.

The setting of New New York seems like it is more technology advanced, but still showing that there are the poor and those who will take advantage. It was good for once to not see all the bright and shining celebrities or rich that Roarke and Eve usually meet with in these books.

The ending seemed to be signifying a new maturity to Eve. Her realizing that sometimes what she does won't matter, but she can still keep trying. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Fun, entertaining, and solid as always. ( )
  RandyRasa | Mar 6, 2020 |
The latest murder that Eve investigates has a very loose connection to Roake by way of he had just hired the victim’s sister. That and Eve had met her the evening before at a party and her date was Crack. The opening chapter was nice since you got to see almost everyone of the secondary characters in the series. Trina’s name does get mentioned but Eve is lucky enough to escape her for this book. The murder is staged as an OD but it doesn’t fool Eve and it quickly looks like part of something else. Most of the criminals in this one are overconfident and not too bright. A nice easy murder case to solve and the streets of NYC are made a bit safer due to Eve and her department. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |

Robb, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,642,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible