Beloved by Toni Morrison

Beloved (1987)

by Toni Morrison

14,059228147 (3.88)2 / 773
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (susanbooks)
    Cane by Jean Toomer (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: An often overlooked classic.
    The Known World by Edward P. Jones (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    A Visitation of Spirits: A Novel by Randall Kenan (lottpoet)
    Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    A Killing in This Town: A Novel by Olympia Vernon (hyacinthony)
    hyacinthony: I was reminded by Morrison's poetic narrative voice at the end of part 2 of Vernon's narrative style. Both books convey a powerful and mysterious spiritual force embedded in the violence of post-slavery african american conditions.
    Mojo: Conjure Stories by Nalo Hopkinson (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This collection of short stories is nowhere near as dark as Beloved, but it's worth following these tales to the crossroads.
    Philida by Andre Brink (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The true meaning of freedom, the price of freedom, cruel things people do in the name of love and cruel acts performed without love are the focus of these books.
    Bailey's Cafe by Gloria Naylor (PrincessPaulina)
    Sap Rising by Christine Lincoln (edwinbcn)
1980s (5)
Ghosts (24)

English (216)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (228)
One of my favourite books; happy to have it in this lovely edition ( )
  overthemoon | Jun 19, 2015 |
The style of narrative is something I could happily live without. I'm certain the story was really good, but I just couldn't get past Morrison's style of writing.

This was the audiobook, read by the writer, and all I have to say about that is, Ms...Morrison must have...gone to the...Captain Kirk...school of...reading. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jun 10, 2015 |
This is an excellent book about how some ghosts from our past will literally come forth and demand to be heard. This story is so powerful on so many levels! It really makes you see the depths of the mind in times of despair. You don't know if it is real or imagined but it does show how strong a mothers love can be even if the wrong choices are made because of it. It made me wish I could reach into the pages and take her pain away! The aguish and guilt were immeasurable! ( )
  kat32969 | Apr 20, 2015 |
My second reading of Beloved, more than 25 years later (!) wasn't dramatically different from my first. The, as a fairly recent college graduate, this was not an easy read; yet, I was thrilled with every page and by the honesty that came shining through all the abstractness. Today, I am equally awed even though I've now ingested other masters of the genre. Her subject and true story make Beloved stand out but also the way Morrison is naturally able to combine so many artistic and human elements. One again, I found myself preoccupied with the person of Beloved until, once again, I was able to reach the conclusion that this doesn't matter as much as connecting to the characters who seek to make themselves understood. Morrison's introduction to the Vintage edition, which I didn't have access to the first time around, explains how she sought to throw the reader, "ruthlessly into an alien environment as a first step into shared experience with the book's population. Just as the characters were snatched from one place to another," With this immersion, Morrison makes the reader understand not only the motivations but the emotions propelling the action of the story even though many of these experiences really may be alien. The life spent in atonement -- and desire creating its own reality are more familiar and dominate as themes. But, throughout, the characters' rejection of and then facing / embracing reality while still seeing beauty in people and the world are reasons we rush to embrace them and are able to at all understand this very difficult story, ( )
  Laura1124 | Feb 21, 2015 |
This book was, in short, simply amazing. Difficult to read because the book kept flipping from past to present with virtually no transistions - and often from character to character, but utterly fascinating. Not at all what I expected - a ghost story! A story of past sins revisiting the present and creating all new sins. A story with more depth and breadth than I can possibly capture in a brief review. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
"Beloved" is Toni Morrison's fifth novel, and another triumph. Indeed, Ms. Morrison's versatility and technical and emotional range appear to know no bounds. If there were any doubts about her stature as a pre-eminent American novelist, of her own or any other generation, ''Beloved'' will put them to rest.

downloadable .mp3 file

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dekker, BesselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, NettieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beloved ( [1998]IMDb)
I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. Romans 9:25
Sixty Million
and more
124 was spiteful.
I will never run from another thing on this earth.
Freeing yourself was one thing; claiming ownership of that freed self was another.
And though she and others lived through and got over it, she could never let it happen to her own. The best things she was, was her children.
Being alive was the hard part.
Nobody stopped playing checkers just because the pieces included her children.
Please distinguish between this complete 1987 novel and any abridgement of the original Work. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452264464, Paperback)

Toni Morrison gently reads her own Pulitzer Prize-winning work in the unabridged version of this riveting tale of ex-slave Sethe and the beloved ghost that haunts her. While Morrison makes occasional odd pauses in her reading, what is lost in smoothness is more than made up for in quiet intensity as the author reads words obviously deeply felt. Her intimate knowledge of the characters and their motivations lends this reading an authority that helps the listener sort out the breaks in time and dialogue in this complex story of a woman coming to terms with her enslaved past and the loss of her husband and baby daughter. (Running time: 12 hours, eight cassettes) --Kimberly Heinrichs

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:50 -0400)

Staring unflinchingly into the abyss of slavery, this spellbinding novel transforms history into a story as powerful as Exodus and as intimate as a lullaby. Sethe, its protagonist, was born a slave and escaped to Ohio, but eighteen years later she is still not free. She has too many memories of Sweet Home, the beautiful farm where so many hideous things happened. And Sethe's new home is haunted by the ghost of her baby, who died nameless and whose tombstone is engraved with a single word: Beloved. Filled with bitter poetry and suspense as taut as a rope, Beloved is a towering achievement. After the Civil War ends, Sethe longingly recalls the two-year-old daughter whom she killed when threatened with recapture after escaping from slavery 18 years before.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,967,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible