Beloved by Toni Morrison

Beloved (1987)

by Toni Morrison

14,761252134 (3.88)2 / 815
Recently added bysandrikoti, jmdnyc, private library, GizemKuzu, ParringtonWright, Emily0501, CHLOESOCIETY, middafc, clinena2
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (susanbooks)
    The Known World by Edward P. Jones (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Cane by Jean Toomer (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: An often overlooked classic.
    Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    A Visitation of Spirits: A Novel by Randall Kenan (lottpoet)
    Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines (karmiel)
    karmiel: Both books include a strong woman who attempts to build her life as a free woman after escaping/exiting slavery.
    Philida by Andre Brink (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The true meaning of freedom, the price of freedom, cruel things people do in the name of love and cruel acts performed without love are the focus of these books.
    Mojo: Conjure Stories by Nalo Hopkinson (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This collection of short stories is nowhere near as dark as Beloved, but it's worth following these tales to the crossroads.
    A Killing in This Town: A Novel by Olympia Vernon (hyacinthony)
    hyacinthony: I was reminded by Morrison's poetic narrative voice at the end of part 2 of Vernon's narrative style. Both books convey a powerful and mysterious spiritual force embedded in the violence of post-slavery african american conditions.
    Bailey's Cafe by Gloria Naylor (PrincessPaulina)
    Sap Rising by Christine Lincoln (edwinbcn)
1980s (4)
Ghosts (118)

English (240)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (253)
I am listening to this novel. I couldn't get through it the first time around, but I can tell that this time is going to be different. It is read by the author herself, and I can now see why critics rave. The tone and telling are so expressive. And now I have lived through some great losses, I can tell that the author has also truly lived through the death of close loved ones, and I find myself agreeing with what she is saying. The themes of family love, anger, and the ties that bind are gripping. Throw the whole issue of slavery in there and - no wonder it's a book that many simply can't deal with. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
In general, I'm a big fan of Toni Morrison, but I didn't love this book. I liked it, but I didn't enjoy the supernatural aspect of the work. Otherwise, the characters were complicated and tragic and beautiful. The plot was a little hard to follow at times, but served the story well. ( )
  BooksForYears | Apr 1, 2016 |
  BooksForYears | Apr 1, 2016 |
And another half star. This book is a new look at the slavery issue for me. What a twist it has! ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
"Beloved" is Toni Morrison's fifth novel, and another triumph. Indeed, Ms. Morrison's versatility and technical and emotional range appear to know no bounds. If there were any doubts about her stature as a pre-eminent American novelist, of her own or any other generation, ''Beloved'' will put them to rest.

downloadable .mp3 file

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dekker, BesselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, NettieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beloved ( [1998]IMDb)
I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. Romans 9:25
Sixty Million
and more
124 was spiteful.
I will never run from another thing on this earth.
Freeing yourself was one thing; claiming ownership of that freed self was another.
And though she and others lived through and got over it, she could never let it happen to her own. The best things she was, was her children.
Being alive was the hard part.
Nobody stopped playing checkers just because the pieces included her children.
Please distinguish between this complete 1987 novel and any abridgement of the original Work. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452264464, Paperback)

Toni Morrison gently reads her own Pulitzer Prize-winning work in the unabridged version of this riveting tale of ex-slave Sethe and the beloved ghost that haunts her. While Morrison makes occasional odd pauses in her reading, what is lost in smoothness is more than made up for in quiet intensity as the author reads words obviously deeply felt. Her intimate knowledge of the characters and their motivations lends this reading an authority that helps the listener sort out the breaks in time and dialogue in this complex story of a woman coming to terms with her enslaved past and the loss of her husband and baby daughter. (Running time: 12 hours, eight cassettes) --Kimberly Heinrichs

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:50 -0400)

Staring unflinchingly into the abyss of slavery, this spellbinding novel transforms history into a story as powerful as Exodus and as intimate as a lullaby. Sethe, its protagonist, was born a slave and escaped to Ohio, but eighteen years later she is still not free. She has too many memories of Sweet Home, the beautiful farm where so many hideous things happened. And Sethe's new home is haunted by the ghost of her baby, who died nameless and whose tombstone is engraved with a single word: Beloved. Filled with bitter poetry and suspense as taut as a rope, Beloved is a towering achievement. After the Civil War ends, Sethe longingly recalls the two-year-old daughter whom she killed when threatened with recapture after escaping from slavery 18 years before.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,787,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible