dismiss

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Beloved (1987)

by Toni Morrison

17,995337171 (3.88)2 / 974
Staring unflinchingly into the abyss of slavery, this spellbinding novel transforms history into a story as powerful as Exodus and as intimate as a lullaby. Sethe, its protagonist, was born a slave and escaped to Ohio, but eighteen years later she is still not free. She has too many memories of Sweet Home, the beautiful farm where so many hideous things happened. And Sethe's new home is haunted by the ghost of her baby, who died nameless and whose tombstone is engraved with a single word: Beloved. Filled with bitter poetry and suspense as taut as a rope, Beloved is a towering achievement. After the Civil War ends, Sethe longingly recalls the two-year-old daughter whom she killed when threatened with recapture after escaping from slavery 18 years before.… (more)
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (susanbooks)
    Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Known World by Edward P. Jones (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    A Killing in This Town: A Novel by Olympia Vernon (hyacinthony)
    hyacinthony: I was reminded by Morrison's poetic narrative voice at the end of part 2 of Vernon's narrative style. Both books convey a powerful and mysterious spiritual force embedded in the violence of post-slavery african american conditions.
    Cane by Jean Toomer (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: An often overlooked classic.
    A Visitation of Spirits: A Novel by Randall Kenan (lottpoet)
    Mojo: Conjure Stories by Nalo Hopkinson (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This collection of short stories is nowhere near as dark as Beloved, but it's worth following these tales to the crossroads.
    The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (shaunie)
    shaunie: Morrison's masterpiece is a clear influence on Whitehead's book, and his is one of the very few I've read which bears comparison with it. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's also a masterpiece, a stunningly good read!
    The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines (karmiel)
    karmiel: Both books include a strong woman who attempts to build her life as a free woman after escaping/exiting slavery.
    Bailey's Cafe by Gloria Naylor (PrincessPaulina)
    Philida by André Brink (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The true meaning of freedom, the price of freedom, cruel things people do in the name of love and cruel acts performed without love are the focus of these books.
    Family by J. California Cooper (Cecrow)
    Sap Rising by Christine Lincoln (edwinbcn)
1980s (10)
Ghosts (44)
Reiny (7)
hopes (16)

English (320)  French (5)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (336)
the most beautiful place in the world
  victor.k.jacobsson | May 23, 2020 |
This book was mentioned on the following episodes of Checking Out:
Episode 1 - Listen here.
Episode 2 - Listen here.
  rachelreading | Apr 20, 2020 |
Incredible. I hate that I hadn't read Morrison before she died, but I also don't think I would have appreciated this properly much earlier. ( )
  Midhiel | Mar 18, 2020 |
This is just a hard book, in all aspects. It's a challenging read, both thematically and textually. It's hard to define - what genre would you even call this brutal, magical, lyrical novel? It's almost too difficult to rate - did I enjoy reading this? No, not particularly. Do I understand that it is a masterful work of fiction? Absolutely. This feels like the type of novel that I wish I could have read in a college classroom, with a lively discussion to follow. Definitely a memorable read. ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | Mar 15, 2020 |
There is a loneliness that can be rocked. Arms crossed, knees drawn up, holding, holding on, this motion, unlike a ship's, smooths and contains the rocker. It's an inside kind-wrapped tight like skin. Then there is the loneliness that roams. No rocking can hold it down. It is alive. On its own.
  taurus27 | Mar 6, 2020 |
"Beloved" is Toni Morrison's fifth novel, and another triumph. Indeed, Ms. Morrison's versatility and technical and emotional range appear to know no bounds. If there were any doubts about her stature as a pre-eminent American novelist, of her own or any other generation, ''Beloved'' will put them to rest.

As a record of white brutality mitigated by rare acts of decency and compassion, and as a testament to the courageous lives of a tormented people, this novel is a milestone in the chronicling of the black experience in America. It is Morrison writing at the height of her considerable powers, and it should not be missed.
added by g33kgrrl | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 17, 1987)

Morrison traces the shifting shapes of suffering and mythic accommodations, through the shell of psychosis to the core of a victim's dark violence, with a lyrical insistence and a clear sense of the time when a beleaguered peoples' "only grace...was the grace they could imagine."

downloadable .mp3 file

Morrison, Toniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dekker, BesselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, NettieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beloved ( [1998]IMDb)
I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. Romans 9:25
Sixty Million
and more
124 was spiteful.
I will never run from another thing on this earth.
Freeing yourself was one thing; claiming ownership of that freed self was another.
And though she and others lived through and got over it, she could never let it happen to her own. The best things she was, was her children.
Being alive was the hard part.
Nobody stopped playing checkers just because the pieces included her children.
Please distinguish between this complete 1987 novel and any abridgement of the original Work. Thank you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,491,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible