Beloved by Toni Morrison

Beloved (original 1987; edition 1999)

by Toni Morrison

15,210266124 (3.87)2 / 837
Member:everde01
Title:Beloved
Authors:Toni Morrison
Info:Editions 10/18 (1999), Edition: [Nouv. éd.], Poche, 379 pages
Tags:fantôme, esclavage, migration, Etats-Unis

Beloved by Toni Morrison (1987)

Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (susanbooks)
    The Known World by Edward P. Jones (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    A Visitation of Spirits: A Novel by Randall Kenan (lottpoet)
    Cane by Jean Toomer (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: An often overlooked classic.
    Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Mojo: Conjure Stories by Nalo Hopkinson (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This collection of short stories is nowhere near as dark as Beloved, but it's worth following these tales to the crossroads.
    A Killing in This Town: A Novel by Olympia Vernon (hyacinthony)
    hyacinthony: I was reminded by Morrison's poetic narrative voice at the end of part 2 of Vernon's narrative style. Both books convey a powerful and mysterious spiritual force embedded in the violence of post-slavery african american conditions.
    Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines (karmiel)
    karmiel: Both books include a strong woman who attempts to build her life as a free woman after escaping/exiting slavery.
    Philida by André Brink (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The true meaning of freedom, the price of freedom, cruel things people do in the name of love and cruel acts performed without love are the focus of these books.
    Bailey's Cafe by Gloria Naylor (PrincessPaulina)
    Sap Rising by Christine Lincoln (edwinbcn)
1980s (5)
Reiny (7)
Ghosts (119)

English (252)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Hebrew (1)  All (266)
I just re-read this for the first time since my qualifying exams in grad school, and I was stunned, again. Crafted with such incredible attention to detail, Beloved is surely the most ambitious and powerful cultural representation of US slavery ever made. It's also a beautiful meditation on freedom and family, and to my mind, absolutely essential reading.

Update: Just read it again. This might be the only book that makes me cry every time I read it. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
The book was saved from a one-star rating by the lovely description of how the church women provided food and love to Sethe when Denver finally was forced to ask for help.

I really didn't like the idea of a woman being interchangeable with a cow. It offended me. And I had to wonder whether Toni Morrison had ever seen an actual cow, in the bit right at the beginning where the Sweet Home men relieved their sexual tensions . . .

Also, historical fiction is one thing, and a horror story is something else. The combination did not sit well with me.

Sometimes the writing was confusing. I would go back and reread a paragraph or two once I figured out who was speaking, after I read it as being somebody else.
An example of another confusion - page 87 "Baby Suggs, holy, loved, cautioned, fed . . ."
I saw holy as being an adjective for Baby Suggs. And fed as a verb for what Baby Suggs did. But loved, cautioned was so ambiguous. Reading a short sentence like that shouldn't be so confusing.

"how if I hadn't killed her she would have died and that is something I could not bear" If this had been the only ambiguity, I might have just enjoyed the way it showed the confusion in Sethe's mind. But I'm not convinced it was intended that way.

Well, this book has been in my mind to read it some day. Fortunately I found it in a library and can send it back there soon. I certainly have no intention of ever reading it again.

CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
In this book, a slave woman kills her daughter so she will avoid slavery. I believe Albert Murray (according to Edwin Yoder) has the best definition of this book: “the idea, though inspired by an actual event, was beyond silly. Whatever the evils of slavery, death was worse, and infanticide, after all, was a grave crime.” I couldn't agree with him more. (By the way, Mr. Murray was a black man; he died August 2013.) ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
This is one of my favorite books. It is definitely my favorite Toni Morrison novel. I have read it multiple times and still find things about this book incredibly moving and important when I reread it. I love her voice, but I also love her humanity and depth when dealing with characters and subjects dramatically and darkly altered by slavery and loss. ( )
  ceciliachard | Nov 13, 2016 |
This was the first Toni Morrison book I read. After reading it, I intend to read everything she's written.

Her writing is heavy, but beautiful, and her prose will take a little getting used to if you haven't read anything by her before. Her works generally deal with race, with gender, sexuality, identity, self-expression in a really startlingly beautiful way.

Her characters are emotive, and raw, and vulnerable. Reading this book is like drinking a really strong, black coffee. I got a headache, and parts of it were bitter, but it was the best coffee I'd ever had.

Morrison has a really commanding voice. She isn't afraid to write unpleasant scenes. She will make you look. The other thing that I love about Morrison's voice is that the style is written almost lyrically, as if a person were speaking directly to you.

Morrison mentions in her afterword of this book, that Dostoyevsky wrote for the Russians, and yet other people read him, why shouldn't black authors do the same? (Or something to that affect, anyway.)

But I adore how unapologetically she writes. And I think this book is so, so valuable. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
"Beloved" is Toni Morrison's fifth novel, and another triumph. Indeed, Ms. Morrison's versatility and technical and emotional range appear to know no bounds. If there were any doubts about her stature as a pre-eminent American novelist, of her own or any other generation, ''Beloved'' will put them to rest.

downloadable .mp3 file

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dekker, BesselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, NettieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beloved ( [1998]IMDb)
I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. Romans 9:25
Sixty Million
and more
124 was spiteful.
I will never run from another thing on this earth.
Freeing yourself was one thing; claiming ownership of that freed self was another.
And though she and others lived through and got over it, she could never let it happen to her own. The best things she was, was her children.
Being alive was the hard part.
Nobody stopped playing checkers just because the pieces included her children.
Please distinguish between this complete 1987 novel and any abridgement of the original Work. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452264464, Paperback)

Toni Morrison gently reads her own Pulitzer Prize-winning work in the unabridged version of this riveting tale of ex-slave Sethe and the beloved ghost that haunts her. While Morrison makes occasional odd pauses in her reading, what is lost in smoothness is more than made up for in quiet intensity as the author reads words obviously deeply felt. Her intimate knowledge of the characters and their motivations lends this reading an authority that helps the listener sort out the breaks in time and dialogue in this complex story of a woman coming to terms with her enslaved past and the loss of her husband and baby daughter. (Running time: 12 hours, eight cassettes) --Kimberly Heinrichs

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:50 -0400)

Staring unflinchingly into the abyss of slavery, this spellbinding novel transforms history into a story as powerful as Exodus and as intimate as a lullaby. Sethe, its protagonist, was born a slave and escaped to Ohio, but eighteen years later she is still not free. She has too many memories of Sweet Home, the beautiful farm where so many hideous things happened. And Sethe's new home is haunted by the ghost of her baby, who died nameless and whose tombstone is engraved with a single word: Beloved. Filled with bitter poetry and suspense as taut as a rope, Beloved is a towering achievement. After the Civil War ends, Sethe longingly recalls the two-year-old daughter whom she killed when threatened with recapture after escaping from slavery 18 years before.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,749,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible