A History of the English Speaking Peoples,…

A History of the English Speaking Peoples, the Great Democracies (original 1958; edition 1958)

by Winston Churchill, Sir (Author)

Member:JFDausman
Title:A History of the English Speaking Peoples, the Great Democracies
Authors:Winston Churchill, Sir (Author)
Info:Dodd, Mead & Co., New York (1958), 403 pages
Collections:Your library, Pulitzer/Nobel

The Great Democracies by Winston S. Churchill (1958)

Took me a while to get to it, but I've finally started and then completed the final volume in the Churchill 'A History of the English Speaking Peoples' series.

A rather 'neat' comprehensive series that covers more history than other books I've read on English history. Though it was also wasn't exactly as deep as some of the others I've read.

I learned a lot, while also covering some ground I already knew.

I kind of figured I'd have more to write, but I can't think of much. It's nonfiction. Readable. This specific volume tells the history of the English speaking people in Canada, Australia, USA, England, New Zealand, Tasmania, South Africa, and Ireland. Don't recall anything specifically relating to Wales or Scotland. Except maybe in passing. From the founding of New Zealand, Tasmania, and Australia, the expansion of Canada both in terms of government (i.e., the colonies merged), and in terms of land area. And the expansion of the USA westward. English history from roughly the end of the first Emperor Napoleon, to 1902 and the Boer War.

Interesting to see how the parties got established, merged, wiggled, worked together and split into pieces. Liberals, Whigs, Conservatives (Tories) and Labour. Plus various groups that never got anywhere. Oh, and Irish Nationalists and Irish Unionists. Various prime ministers, Gladstone and Disraeli. ( )
  Lexxi | Aug 27, 2015 |
WSC began this history of the English Speaking Peoples in 1937, and it didn't see much work until after the war memoirs came out in 1954. It's not what I'd call history, but a very long magazine article revealing the past as WSC saw it. There's his take on the USA for all to see. Well written but unoriginal. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Nov 21, 2013 |
One of the best written, articulate books I've ever come across. I found the American Civil War insights especially instructional and fascinating in its viewpoint from a non-American reference. I look forward to the other volumes in this series. ( )
  KidQuislet | Nov 14, 2011 |
A good history, capably written.

(8/10) ( )
  Tullius22 | Mar 6, 2011 |
This is the fourth and final volume of Churchill's magnificent "History of the English Speaking Peoples." It covers basically the period of the reign of Queen Victoria--dealing with both American and British struggles and expansion during those eventful times.

One cannot help but wonder, based on what we now know of history, if perhaps it would have been better had the Pax Brittania lasted longer and been allowed to hold sway.

The last paragraph of the book is instructive in this regard:

"Here is set out a long story of the English-speaking peoples. They are now to become Allies in terrible but victorious wars. And that is not the end. Another phase looms before us, in which alliance will once more be tested and in which its formidable virtues may be to preserve Peace and Freedom. The future is unknowable, but the past should give us hope."

Based on when the book was published, the other "phase" to which he refers can only be the struggle against Communism. I would contend that, were he alive today, he might say the same thing about the war on islamic terrorism.
  brazilnut72 | Feb 24, 2007 |

Winston S. Churchillprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rodska, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
After a generation of warfare peace had come to Europe in the summer of 1815.

In "The Great Democracies", Winston Churchill makes his case for the unique and fundamental role the English-speaking people played in bringing economic progress and political freedom to the world at large. As a work of history, this volume covers the period from the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 to the end of the South African or Boer War in 1902. Churchill had a first-person view on some of these events having participated in the charge of the 21st Lancers at Omdurman and reporting on the Boer War for the "Morning Post".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:36 -0400)

"Winston Churchill makes his case for the unique and fundamental role the English-speaking people played in bringing economic progress and political freedom to the world at large. As a work of history, this volume covers the perios from the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 to the end of the South African or Boer War in 1902."--container.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,736,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible