Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing…

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

by Anne Lamott

English (186)  Dutch (1)  All languages (187)
I hate this book, but have the unfortunate luck of having to read it three times. ( )
  oacevedo | Apr 9, 2019 |
Not was I was expecting ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
Good book about writing but I feel that this author expects all writers to be on the edge of insanity. All writers are not that spaced out and insecure! ( )
  LilQuebe | Jan 23, 2019 |
Writer looking for permission? Go! ( )
  Fiddleback_ | Dec 17, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Jul 2011):
- What an interesting person Anne Lamott is. She also has a lot to say in this little book. Much is contained here for the budding or befuddled writer, which is easy enough to scan, with chapters titled, for example, Getting Started, Set Designs, Index Cards, and Finding Your Voice. But don't allow a quick glimpse at this book to convince you this is yet another how-to... This is also a memoir, confessional, and a wise, humorous collection of anecdotes and gems of advice she's received over the years. As such, the entire book is very conversational, and, thankfully, doesn't ever feel like instruction. But there is plenty of sound advice, mined from many years as a teacher at UC-Davis.
- This is the first book by Anne that I've read, and I can quickly see why her nonfiction work is especially admired. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Oct 5, 2018 |
I grew up around a father and a mother who read every chance they got, who took us to the library every Thursday night to load up on books for the coming week.
…getting all of one’s addictions under control is a little like putting an octopus to bed.
...perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor.
I understood immediately the thrill of seeing oneself in print. It provides some sort of primal verifications. You are; therefore you exist.
If you find that you start a number of stories or pieces that you don't even bother finishing, that you lose interest or faith in them along the way, it may be that there is nothing at their center about which you care passionately.
…if you are writing the clearest, truest words you can find and doing the best you can to understand and communicate, this will shine on paper like its own little lighthouse.”

I found this book in a library after my life fell apart one rainy day in California. I thought the writing was so clean and simple and straight forward and funny that I almost cried with happiness. Telling the truth is really hard, but writing the truth is almost impossible. After that day, I went back to college for a few decades...so glad I did.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385480016, Paperback)

Think you've got a book inside of you? Anne Lamott isn't afraid to help you let it out. She'll help you find your passion and your voice, beginning from the first really crummy draft to the peculiar letdown of publication. Readers will be reminded of the energizing books of writer Natalie Goldberg and will be seduced by Lamott's witty take on the reality of a writer's life, which has little to do with literary parties and a lot to do with jealousy, writer's block and going for broke with each paragraph. Marvelously wise and best of all, great reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

Anne Lamott recounts her personal experiences to reveal her writing techniques and how she overcomes obstacles that interfere with the writing flow. She offers concrete suggestions about character, plot, setting, and other topics of interest to writers. She also offers advice about how to navigate through the dark underbelly feelings of self-doubt, inadequacy, and jealousy that are inevitable parts of any writer's experience.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,159,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible