Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing…

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

by Anne Lamott

English (174)  Dutch (1)  All (175)
An excellent read about writing and written with gentle humour and self-depreciation. Now to repair the problem that exists between keyboard and seat. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 11, 2017 |
Amazing to read over and over. ( )
  Jewel.Barnett | Sep 6, 2017 |
Writing down one of these brief reviews feels like a bigger task than usual when the book in question is about writing and by a celebrated author. This work made my reading list following multiple references in Sunday sermons and then most recently following a final prompt via Tools of Titans. Lamott is very open about the angst that dominates much of an aspiring author's life. She's also open about her own life experiences, especially the loss of two important people and how those experiences intertwine with her writing. The book is enjoyable to read and offers plenty of practical advice. Getting published is a right of passage but not a certain path to fame and fortune. Writing brings other benefits including personal expression and the realization of our own life's lessons. Would be writers should stop being "would be" and instead get started. Find a time and place. Write what you know. Be honest. Get feedback in ways that are constructive. Figure out your story as an author as you go. ( )
  jpsnow | Jul 31, 2017 |
If you've ever wanted to write, but found that all the biggest obstacles were within yourself, this book is for you. ( )
  RossWhippo | Jun 26, 2017 |
Great book about the art of writing and getting it done. ( )
  harrietbrown | Jun 24, 2017 |
I grew up around a father and a mother who read every chance they got, who took us to the library every Thursday night to load up on books for the coming week.
…getting all of one’s addictions under control is a little like putting an octopus to bed.
...perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor.
I understood immediately the thrill of seeing oneself in print. It provides some sort of primal verifications. You are; therefore you exist.
If you find that you start a number of stories or pieces that you don't even bother finishing, that you lose interest or faith in them along the way, it may be that there is nothing at their center about which you care passionately.
…if you are writing the clearest, truest words you can find and doing the best you can to understand and communicate, this will shine on paper like its own little lighthouse.”

I found this book in a library after my life fell apart one rainy day in California. I thought the writing was so clean and simple and straight forward and funny that I almost cried with happiness. Telling the truth is really hard, but writing the truth is almost impossible. After that day, I went back to college for a few decades...so glad I did.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385480016, Paperback)

Think you've got a book inside of you? Anne Lamott isn't afraid to help you let it out. She'll help you find your passion and your voice, beginning from the first really crummy draft to the peculiar letdown of publication. Readers will be reminded of the energizing books of writer Natalie Goldberg and will be seduced by Lamott's witty take on the reality of a writer's life, which has little to do with literary parties and a lot to do with jealousy, writer's block and going for broke with each paragraph. Marvelously wise and best of all, great reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

"Thirty years ago my older brother, who was ten years old at the time, was trying to get a report on birds written that hed had three months to write. It was due the next day. We were out at our family cabin in Bolinas, and he was at the kitchen table close to tears, surrounded by binder paper and pencils and unopened books on birds, immobilized by the hugeness of the task ahead. Then my father sat down beside him, put his arm around my brothers shoulder, and said, Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird. Here, for the first time, is a local edition of the bible of writing guidesa wry, honest,-- down-to-earth book that has never stopped selling since it was first published in the United States in the 1990s. In Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott, a bestelling novelist and memoirist, distils what shes learned over years of trial and error. Beautifully written, wise, and immensely helpful, this is the book for serious writers and writers-to-be."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,967,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible