Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing…

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

by Anne Lamott

English (164)  Dutch (1)  All languages (165)
This was the first of four books chosen for my library's summer reading program. I must admit that I had my heels dug in about this one - just didn't want to read it for some reason. I have zero aspiration to become a writer and did not think I would take anything away from this experience. It has now become the perfect example of don't judge a book by its cover - or its title. I loved this book. Every single, solitary page of it. It was brilliant, hilarious, soothing, enlightening...I could go on with the adjectives. I was profoundly moved and feel like I have had a beautiful, deep (from the bottom of my gut) cleansing, eye and soul opening, breath. Simply fabulous. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
wonderful, soft, comforting. a great read for someone thinking about writing. it's well written, instructional and inspirational. i quote it often. ( )
  Joseph_W_Naus | Jul 20, 2016 |
A gift to all us mortals who write or ever wanted to write ... sidesplittingly funny, patiently wise and alternatively cranky and kind -- a reveille to get off our duffs and start writing now, while we still can. Seattle Times
  PendleHillLibrary | Jul 14, 2016 |
Rating: 3.5

This book made me laugh a lot, and it's full of wonderful advice. However, the last 50 or so pages fell flat for me. They just weren't as good as the first part of the book and I was forcing my way though them. With that being said, this was my first time reading a memoir with writing lesson, so I think Lamott did a great job and opened my eyes to new ways to write. I will be trying out her photograph tip soon. ( )
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
I don't think of myself as an ARTISTE. ( )
  picardyrose | Jun 13, 2016 |
I grew up around a father and a mother who read every chance they got, who took us to the library every Thursday night to load up on books for the coming week.
…getting all of one’s addictions under control is a little like putting an octopus to bed.
...perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor.
I understood immediately the thrill of seeing oneself in print. It provides some sort of primal verifications. You are; therefore you exist.
If you find that you start a number of stories or pieces that you don't even bother finishing, that you lose interest or faith in them along the way, it may be that there is nothing at their center about which you care passionately.
…if you are writing the clearest, truest words you can find and doing the best you can to understand and communicate, this will shine on paper like its own little lighthouse.”

I found this book in a library after my life fell apart one rainy day in California. I thought the writing was so clean and simple and straight forward and funny that I almost cried with happiness. Telling the truth is really hard, but writing the truth is almost impossible. After that day, I went back to college for a few decades...so glad I did.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385480016, Paperback)

Think you've got a book inside of you? Anne Lamott isn't afraid to help you let it out. She'll help you find your passion and your voice, beginning from the first really crummy draft to the peculiar letdown of publication. Readers will be reminded of the energizing books of writer Natalie Goldberg and will be seduced by Lamott's witty take on the reality of a writer's life, which has little to do with literary parties and a lot to do with jealousy, writer's block and going for broke with each paragraph. Marvelously wise and best of all, great reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

"Thirty years ago my older brother, who was ten years old at the time, was trying to get a report on birds written that hed had three months to write. It was due the next day. We were out at our family cabin in Bolinas, and he was at the kitchen table close to tears, surrounded by binder paper and pencils and unopened books on birds, immobilized by the hugeness of the task ahead. Then my father sat down beside him, put his arm around my brothers shoulder, and said, Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird. Here, for the first time, is a local edition of the bible of writing guidesa wry, honest,-- down-to-earth book that has never stopped selling since it was first published in the United States in the 1990s. In Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott, a bestelling novelist and memoirist, distils what shes learned over years of trial and error. Beautifully written, wise, and immensely helpful, this is the book for serious writers and writers-to-be."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

486 wanted2 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,347,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible