Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing…

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life (edition 1995)

by Anne Lamott

Member:UsrLib
Title:Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
Authors:Anne Lamott
Info:Anchor (1995), Edition: 1, Paperback, 239 pages
Tags:writing, general

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott

Recently added byHUILL, Empidonax, Dana_Britt, AzScout, chorn369, richarddeanowen, private library, cherlee, Erin.Patel

English (142)  Dutch (1)  All languages (143)
Oh my goodness. This book was so heartfelt and beautifully written, and above all, FUNNY! I think perhaps it beats the top spot for my favourite and most inspiring writing manuals. Not only does Anne talk give advice for writers, she is open about her own shortfalls and about the shortfalls of the world of publishing. She asks us to write for ourselves, for our children and for the truth, rather than for money, because it isn't all its cracked up to be. I loved her description of how she felt when her book was about to be published, how she felt when the reviews came out. Or how it feels to submit a manuscript to an editor and check the mail fifty times a day. Beautiful. ( )
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
Great book, so glad I read it. I'm sure I'll read it again and again. I loved the stories about her son, especially. What a comical child, and perfect material for a book like this.

I only gave her four stars because her mixed metaphors got a little annoying at points. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
It is an encouraging book, and the author has a great sense of humor. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Jul 30, 2014 |
This is an excellent book on writing - clever, funny, helpful, and incredibly true. Anne Lamott's prose is so wonderful that at times it made me despair because I know I could never write so well. She even had one description, which I won't identify, that I am sorely tempted to plagiarize for my next novel. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was that the best advice was in the first and final parts. The middle tended to drag and repeat itself [and earlier material]. All considered, I recommend this book for both novice and experienced writers because it combines extremely useful advice with a delightful style.

[a:Maggie Anton|79249|Maggie Anton|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1337899260p2/79249.jpg] ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
I grew up around a father and a mother who read every chance they got, who took us to the library every Thursday night to load up on books for the coming week.
…getting all of one’s addictions under control is a little like putting an octopus to bed.
...perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor.
I understood immediately the thrill of seeing oneself in print. It provides some sort of primal verifications. You are; therefore you exist.
If you find that you start a number of stories or pieces that you don't even bother finishing, that you lose interest or faith in them along the way, it may be that there is nothing at their center about which you care passionately.
…if you are writing the clearest, truest words you can find and doing the best you can to understand and communicate, this will shine on paper like its own little lighthouse.”

I found this book in a library after my life fell apart one rainy day in California. I thought the writing was so clean and simple and straight forward and funny that I almost cried with happiness. Telling the truth is really hard, but writing the truth is almost impossible. After that day, I went back to college for a few decades...so glad I did.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385480016, Paperback)

Think you've got a book inside of you? Anne Lamott isn't afraid to help you let it out. She'll help you find your passion and your voice, beginning from the first really crummy draft to the peculiar letdown of publication. Readers will be reminded of the energizing books of writer Natalie Goldberg and will be seduced by Lamott's witty take on the reality of a writer's life, which has little to do with literary parties and a lot to do with jealousy, writer's block and going for broke with each paragraph. Marvelously wise and best of all, great reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:11 -0400)

A step-by-step guide to writing and managing the writer's life covers each portion of a written project, addresses such concerns as writer's block and getting published, and offers awareness and survival tips

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,281,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible