Candide oder Die beste aller Welten. by…

Candide oder Die beste aller Welten. (original 1759; edition 1759)

by Voltaire

Member:timoheuer
Title:Candide oder Die beste aller Welten.
Authors:Voltaire
Info:Reclam Philipp Jun., Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:französische literatur, philosophie, frankreich, satire, parodie, optimismus

Candide by Voltaire (1759)

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (Weasel524)
    Weasel524: What separates the two: Travels is a satirical indictment of the society Swift saw around him, whereas Candide is a satirical indictment of popular philosophical theories of the time. Not a huge difference, but surely large enough for some. Candide also happens to be shorter and funnier, with Travels being more explorative… (more)
    A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy by Laurence Sterne (AaronPt)
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (owen1218)
    Persian Letters by Montesquieu (joririchardson)
    Baltasar and Blimunda by José Saramago (Mouseear)
    The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (gennyt)
    gennyt: Both books contain extraordinary, unlikely picaresque adventures combined with humorous satire on the politics, wars and religious issues of their time.
    The Adventures of Mr. Nicholas Wisdom by Ignacy Krasicki (DieFledermaus)
    Orlando by Virginia Woolf (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: They have the same kind of wide-eyed satirical quality.
    Rasselas by Samuel Johnson (KayCliff)
    Utopia by Thomas More (kxlly)
    Island by Aldous Huxley (kxlly)
Satire (45)

English (216)  French (6)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Tagalog (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (237)
Juvenal once said, "It is difficult not to write satire", meaning that even if he put ink to paper with different intentions, his worldview would press him on in one direction. He and Voltaire would have got along famously, I suspect. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
2018 reread via audiobook:
3.5*
I missed the illustrations in my hardcover edition. Without rereading that edition, I can't be sure but I think that I also prefer the translation in the hardcover...

However, I still found this satire amusing; my comments above are primarily to remind me why I am giving this audiobook edition a lower rating than I had previously given the book. ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 15, 2018 |
1236/1470 ( )
  Drfreddy94 | Jul 17, 2018 |
Poor Candide. His privileged life comes to an abrupt end when circumstances change. Candide is confronted with starvation, battles & thieves. Calamity seemed to follow him everywhere. Through it all, he tries to remain optimistic based on his tutor's claim that things happen for the best. The writing was so well done. Who would have thought starvation, battles & thieves could be funny?

I want to add that the audio was narrated by Jack Davenport. He did a fabulous job with the voices and accents. I would love it if he did more narration. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |
I took up reading so many other things at the same time, it took me longer to get through it than it should have. Otherwise, it’s a short read. Certainly a thought provoking one. It’s satirical and (in a good way) cynical. This may be the best possible world, but that would be to confuse everything as inherently good or “planned” in the human sense. ( )
  Michael_Rose | Apr 3, 2018 |

Smollett, TobiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sprengel, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weller, ShaneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voltaire was the wittiest writeer in an age of great wits, and "Candide" is his wittiest novel. The subject he chose to exercise his wit upon in this novel is one which conceerns all of us; surprisingly enough, that subject is the problem of suffering. However much we may try to avoid the problem, we are all confronted at some time with this difficulty, that the Creator has made a universe where suffering abounds. If the Creator is good and all-powerful, as we are told he is, could he not have made a better world? If he could, what prevented him? If he could not, can we still believe that he is good and all-powerful? Can we indeed believe in him at all? Or if we do, can we believe that he is at all concerned with men and their sufferings? In times of widespread disasters such questioning becomes more general and more urgent. We are living in such times; and so was Voltaire. [Butt's introduction]
There lived in Westphalia, at the country seat of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh, a young lad blessed by Nature with the most agreeable manners. You could read his character in his face. He combined sound judgment with unaffected simplicity; and that, I suppose, was why he was called Candide. The old family servants suspected that he was the son of the Baron's sisteer by a worthy gentleman of that neighbourhood, whom the young lady would never agree to marry because he could only claim seventy-one quarterings, the rest of his family tree having suffered from the ravages of time. [Butt's translation]
In the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh in Westphalia there lived a youth, endowed by Nature with the most gentle character.
"Fools admire everything in a celebrated author. I only read to please myself, and I only like what suits me."
"'Tis well said," replied Candide, "but we must cultivate our gardens."
“Why should you think it so strange that in some countries there are monkeys which insinuate themselves into the good graces of the ladies; they are a fourth part human, as I am a fourth part Spaniard.”
Attraverso la parabola del povero Candido, un inguaribile ottimista, il narratore continua a "portare uno sguardo rapido su tutti i secoli, tutti i paesi, e di conseguenza, su tutte le sciocchezze di questo piccolo globo". Pubblicato a Ginevra nel 1759, e immediatamente ristampato a Parigi, Londra, Amsterdam e altre città d'Europa, Candido consente a Voltaire di perfezionare il nuovo genere letterario da lui creato, il conte philosophique. Le convulse e mirabolanti disavventure del protagonista offrono all'autore l'opportunità di dimostrare la vanità dell'ottimismo razionalista leibniziano, che vedeva realizzato nell'universo il migliore dei mondi possibili, nonché di sviluppare una straordinaria lezione di sopravvivenza alle catastrofi della natura e della storia.
(piopas)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:16 -0400)

Witty and caustic, Candide has ranked as one of the world's great satires since its first publication in 1759. In the story of the trials and travails of the youthful Candide, his mentor Dr. Pangloss, and a host of other characters, Voltaire mercilessly satirizes and exposes romance, science, philosophy, religion, and government. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.… (more)

Legacy Library: Voltaire

Voltaire has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Voltaire's legacy profile.

See Voltaire's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039423, 0140455108

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300106556, 0300119879

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100445, 1400111080

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,828,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible