Candide (Dover Thrift Editions) by Voltaire

Candide (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1759; edition 1991)

by Voltaire

Member:amanaceerdh
Title:Candide (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Voltaire
Info:Dover Publications (1991), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:own but haven't read, classics

Candide by Voltaire (1759)

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (Weasel524)
    Weasel524: What separates the two: Travels is a satirical indictment of the society Swift saw around him, whereas Candide is a satirical indictment of popular philosophical theories of the time. Not a huge difference, but surely large enough for some. Candide also happens to be shorter and funnier, with Travels being more explorative… (more)
    A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy by Laurence Sterne (AaronPt)
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (owen1218)
    Persian Letters by Montesquieu (joririchardson)
    Baltasar and Blimunda by Jose Saramago (Mouseear)
    The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (gennyt)
    gennyt: Both books contain extraordinary, unlikely picaresque adventures combined with humorous satire on the politics, wars and religious issues of their time.
    The adventures of Mr. Nicholas Wisdom by Ignacy Krasicki (DieFledermaus)
    Orlando by Virginia Woolf (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: They have the same kind of wide-eyed satirical quality.
    Rasselas by Samuel Johnson (KayCliff)
    Utopia by Thomas More (kxlly)
    Island by Aldous Huxley (kxlly)
Unread books (1,071)

English (196)  French (6)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  Icelandic (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (215)
A complete and utter failure! Voltaire presents us with the premise that this is the best of all possible worlds, but only evil befalls his poor characters: scandal, conscription, rape, murder, pillage, mutilation, disease, disaster, inquisition, genocide, adultery, slavery, shipwreck, kicks in the backside, you name it. What the author was thinking of, I can scarcely imagine. I'm going back to my garden now. ( )
  Cecrow | Jan 25, 2017 |
Tragedy and comedy presented in sharp contrast satirising the optimism of certain philosophies. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jan 15, 2017 |
Still funny, this sarcastic, cynical tale about the innocent young man learning about the ways of the world the hard way. "Why then was the world created?" " To drive us mad!" ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
A dark, comic, and biting satire. Whenever I revisit Candide, I always find Voltaire is making points which are relevant to contemporary events, ( )
  Aj_Ferguson | Oct 18, 2016 |
I'm surprised that I gave this such a low rating. I was ready for the satire and the humor. I was ready to fully enjoy this book. When I began though, I found myself quickly disinterested. I'm typically a fast reader, but I kept reading and rereading. It often took me ten minutes or more to get through one page. I also did not enjoy the story like I thought I would. Reading it became a chore, though I could not give up on it entirely. I understand what the story is lampooning, but it's simply not my kind of humor. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
Classique, nous avons tous lu Candide, soit pour le bac soit par curiosité (je l'espere ). Bon personnellement Candide est loin d'etre mon préféré de Voltaire, agassant par sa naiveté etc. J'ai préféré largement l'Ingénu, meme s'il reprend les memes thèmes, je l'ai trouvé mieux écrit avec plus de finesse.
added by Think-green | editBéziers times, Think-Green

Sauvage, SylvainIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smollett, TobiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sprengel, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weller, ShaneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voltaire was the wittiest writeer in an age of great wits, and _Candide_ is his wittiest novel. The subject he chose to exercise his wit upon in this novel is one which conceerns all of us; surprisingly enough, that subject is the problem of suffering. However much we may try to avoid the problem, we are all confronted at some time with this difficulty, that the Creator has made a universe where suffering abounds. If the Creator is good and all-powerful, as we are told he is, could he not have made a better world? If he could, what prevented him? If he could not, can we still believe that he is good and all-powerful? Can we indeed believe in him at all? Or if we do, can we believe that he is at all concerned with men and their sufferings? In times of widespread disasters such questioning becomes more general and more urgent. We are living in such times; and so was Voltaire. [Butt's introduction]
There lived in Westphalia, at the country seat of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh, a young lad blessed by Nature with the most agreeable manners. You could read his character in his face. He combined sound judgment with unaffected simplicity; and that, I suppose, was why he was called Candide. The old family servants suspected that he was the son of the Baron's sisteer by a worthy gentleman of that neighbourhood, whom the young lady would never agree to marry because he could only claim seventy-one quarterings, the rest of his family tree having suffered from the ravages of time. [Butt's translation]
In the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh in Westphalia there lived a youth, endowed by Nature with the most gentle character.
"Fools admire everything in a celebrated author. I only read to please myself, and I only like what suits me."
"'Tis well said," replied Candide, "but we must cultivate our gardens."
“Why should you think it so strange that in some countries there are monkeys which insinuate themselves into the good graces of the ladies; they are a fourth part human, as I am a fourth part Spaniard.”

Witty and caustic, Candide has ranked as one of the world's great satires since its first publication in 1759. In the story of the trials and travails of the youthful Candide, his mentor Dr. Pangloss, and a host of other characters, Voltaire mercilessly satirizes and exposes romance, science, philosophy, religion, and government. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:16 -0400)

One of the world's great satires since its first publication in 1759. Witty, caustic skewering of romance, science, philosophy, religion, government - nearly all human ideals and institutions.

Legacy Library: Voltaire

Voltaire has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Voltaire's legacy profile.

See Voltaire's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039423, 0140455108

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300106556, 0300119879

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100445, 1400111080

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,640,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible