Candide: Ou L'optimisme (Larousse Petits…

Candide: Ou L'optimisme (Larousse Petits Classiques) (French Edition) (original 1759; edition 2007)

by Voltaire

12,469None191 (3.85)353
Member:ebrison
Title:Candide: Ou L'optimisme (Larousse Petits Classiques) (French Edition)
Authors:Voltaire
Info:Educa Books /Larousse (2007), Paperback, 175 pages

Candide by Voltaire (1759)

1001 (60) 1001 books (65) 18th century (357) classic (511) classic fiction (36) Classic Literature (63) classics (437) ebook (40) Enlightenment (150) fiction (1,507) France (254) French (494) French fiction (48) French literature (482) history (36) humor (155) literature (490) novel (229) optimism (65) own (51) paperback (35) Penguin Classics (36) philosophy (710) read (193) satire (677) to-read (124) translated (37) translation (71) unread (80) Voltaire (137)
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (Weasel524)
    Weasel524: What separates the two: Travels is a satirical indictment of the society Swift saw around him, whereas Candide is a satirical indictment of popular philosophical theories of the time. Not a huge difference, but surely large enough for some. Candide also happens to be shorter and funnier, with Travels being more explorative… (more)
    Baltasar and Blimunda by José Saramago (Mouseear)
    Persian Letters by Montesquieu (joririchardson)
    The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (gennyt)
    gennyt: Both books contain extraordinary, unlikely picaresque adventures combined with humorous satire on the politics, wars and religious issues of their time.
    The adventures of Mr. Nicholas Wisdom by Ignacy Krasicki (DieFledermaus)
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (owen1218)
    Orlando: A Biography by Virginia Woolf (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: They have the same kind of wide-eyed satirical quality.
    Island by Aldous Huxley (kxlly)
    Utopia by Thomas More (kxlly)

English (156)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Icelandic (1)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (170)
It's a sweet little satire. Easy and fun, it reads like a fable. I'm not sure that I get the more complicated satirical meanings - seeing as how it was written in the eighteen century... but it's definitely full of quips that you could use. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
I know that I'm supposed to love Candide. I know that it is a classic and brilliant and satirical and everything else that has ever been said about it. Really, I do know that but I just didn't like it.

I get that Voltaire was trying to prove a point with the adventures and beliefs of Candide but the story was just so negative. I felt so bad for poor Candide. It was hard for me to continue reading knowing that Candide was just going to have more outrageously horrible things happen to him.

Before you yell at me, remember that I know the purpose of Candide's story. Voltaire was living during a time of great philosophical thought and he was using this story to satirize the politics and religious fervor of the mid eighteenth century. I just felt that as a novel (novella?) it was not very enjoyable. Voltaire comes across as so negative. I may read Candide a second time (especially when I am not dealing with the flu) and give Voltaire a second chance to charm me. ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
Too much rape and calamity. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Candide is a third person narrative that can be seen as a piece of travel writing, a fable or a parable. What it most certainly is, is a satirical piece of writing that though written over 250 years ago it still has relevance today. To be more precise it is indirect satire which allows the readers to draw their own conclusions. It also allows Voltaire to disavow the words written. This is made clear by Voltaire not putting his name to the novel until some eight years later even though most readers were fully aware who had written it.
The themes of the Candide are large, the hypocrisy of religion, the corrupting power of money and the folly of optimism. Candide explores them all in detail within what should really be considered a novella.
The edition I read is part of the Penguin Classics series, translated and edited by Theo Cuffe and has an introduction by Michael Wood, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature. As with all the Penguin Classics series that I have read this is a superb edition. This edition includes a chronology, a map, notes on the text and names plus various appendices. Unless you have a good working knowledge of the 18th century then the notes are a must. With Candide being a satire than one needs to know the history of the period the book is set to understand what is being satirized.
In the midst of the novella is a love story; the love of Candide for Cunégonde, the Baron’s daughter. When the Baron discovers Candide’s love for his daughter he is driven out of the castle. While trying to make his own way in the world he meets his tutor from his days at the castle, Pangloss. Pangloss informs him that Cunégonde is dead as are everyone else at the castle after it was attacked. From there Candide and the various companions he meets on his travels encounter an egregious series of events; an earthquake, the Inquisition, murder, rape, a shipwreck and many others.
Candide fights to maintain his optimism and Pangloss tries to maintain his belief that “everything is for the best in this best of all possible worlds.” Throughout the novella Voltaire is ridiculing the cosmic complacency and optimism that is expressed by philosophers of the day.
The book is an intellectual, philosophical and religious journey through the period of the Enlightenment in what became known as the ‘long’ eighteenth century.
The novella moves a hectic pace which can leave one feeling breathless. The chapters are short and strangely each chapter has a heading which conveys the events that will occur in the chapter so ruining much of the novella’s suspense. The novel’s hectic pace was remarked on by the playwright Lillian Hellman who wrote the libretto for the operetta of the book for the stage; “the greatest piece of slap-dash ever written at the greatest speed.”
  Kitscot | Dec 4, 2013 |
This was a fun read even though I wouldn't agree with Voltaire's philosophy and deism. The story is a fun journey tale of Candide. Candide is kicked out of the best possible castle and travels through Europe with his philosopher friends to the Americas, to Eldorado (truly the best possible place) and then back to Europe. Candide pursues his true love only to find her grown ugly by the time he finds her. In the end he decides that work is the only way to avoid boredom, vice and poverty and states "we must cultivate our garden". ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |

Sauvage, SylvainIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smollett, TobiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sprengel, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weller, ShaneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There lived in Westphalia, at the country seat of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh, a young lad blessed by Nature with the most agreeable manners.
In the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh in Westphalia there lived a youth, endowed by Nature with the most gentle character.
"Fools admire everything in a celebrated author. I only read to please myself, and I only like what suits me."
"'Tis well said," replied Candide, "but we must cultivate our gardens."
“Why should you think it so strange that in some countries there are monkeys which insinuate themselves into the good graces of the ladies; they are a fourth part human, as I am a fourth part Spaniard.”

Witty and caustic, Candide has ranked as one of the world's great satires since its first publication in 1759. In the story of the trials and travails of the youthful Candide, his mentor Dr. Pangloss, and a host of other characters, Voltaire mercilessly satirizes and exposes romance, science, philosophy, religion, and government. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:19 -0400)

One of the world's great satires since its first publication in 1759. Witty, caustic skewering of romance, science, philosophy, religion, government - nearly all human ideals and institutions.

Legacy Library: Voltaire

Voltaire has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Voltaire's legacy profile.

See Voltaire's author page.

Ten editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039423, 0140455108

Yale University Press

Two editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300106556, 0300119879

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible