Candide by Voltaire

Candide (original 1759; edition 1995)

by Voltaire, Sylviane Léoni (Sous la direction de)

Member:gambina
Title:Candide
Authors:Voltaire
Other authors:Sylviane Léoni (Sous la direction de)
Info:Le Livre de Poche (1995), Poche, 223 pages

Candide by Voltaire (1759)

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (Weasel524)
    Weasel524: What separates the two: Travels is a satirical indictment of the society Swift saw around him, whereas Candide is a satirical indictment of popular philosophical theories of the time. Not a huge difference, but surely large enough for some. Candide also happens to be shorter and funnier, with Travels being more explorative… (more)
    Persian Letters by Montesquieu (joririchardson)
    Baltasar and Blimunda by José Saramago (Mouseear)
    The History of Rasselas, Prince of Abissinia by Samuel Johnson (KayCliff)
    The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (gennyt)
    gennyt: Both books contain extraordinary, unlikely picaresque adventures combined with humorous satire on the politics, wars and religious issues of their time.
    The adventures of Mr. Nicholas Wisdom by Ignacy Krasicki (DieFledermaus)
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (owen1218)
    Orlando by Virginia Woolf (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: They have the same kind of wide-eyed satirical quality.
    A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy by Laurence Sterne (AaronPt)
    Utopia by Thomas More (kxlly)
    Island by Aldous Huxley (kxlly)

English (166)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (183)
I liked the operetto, and was having my own time of 'hah, I have always believed we live in a fundamentally Good world, what's with this shit?' so wanted to read Candide. It's hard to review the Classics TM. If it was a modern novel then there would be comments about pacing and characterisation. But actually, a surprising amount of Stuff happens, and even if it is a bit relentlessly 'hey, the world is quite random and rubbish' the ending of 'well, let's get on tending our garden' is a wise message. Also, red sheep! ( )
  atreic | Mar 23, 2015 |
All is well? All is for the best, in this best of all worlds? Think again, says Voltaire, in this satirical, comical refutation of institutional dogma. Globe-hopping outlandishness. Easy to see how this beacon of enlightenment ran afoul of the ecclesiastical muckity mucks. This Penguin Deluxe edition includes a fine introduction and insightful endnotes. Also in the appendices: portions of his "Philosophical Dictionary" and the entire text of his poem, "The Lisbon Earthquake". ( )
  JamesMScott | Jan 26, 2015 |
The narrative is of disorder. Every character tells a story of disaster, Voltaire seems to be saying that how we live our lives is from disaster to disaster. In this novella Voltaire is also damning of the abuse of power and hypocrisy, though he believes there is nothing you can do about it, that the best thing you can do is escape it, you can only find relief through escape.
  Lonsing | Oct 4, 2014 |
Should be renamed Job. Geez, what else was supposed to happen to this guy? And everyone in his life kept getting killed and then turning up again. Not my cup of tea even as a satire. ( )
  AliceAnna | Sep 10, 2014 |
First of all, let me be clear of one thing: I do recognize the historical importance of this book, but what I'm about to write is a judgement based only on my view as a "casual" reader rather than a book critical or anything of that sort. I will state my opinion of the book regarding what I thought about it reading it as a fiction, not as a satire or a critique to the society and such. Therefore, I'm disregarding the historical background. As one of the characters said (though not exactly with his words), I only read what pleases me because I can actually have fun doing it. Difficult reading does not appeal me at all.

That being said, I'll tell you that I was somewhat surprised. Since this book seems to be mandatory reading for some schools throughout the world, I was already expecting something horribly boring (and I'll admit some parts dragged very, very slowly), but the reading was less painful than I thought it was going to be. In fact, at the beginning of the book I was actually smiling, because the situations Candide got himself into were hilarious in a tragic way (and vice-versa). After a while, the occurrences start getting repetitive and somewhat annoying. Candide's naivety becomes tiring, but at least the other characters are pretty decent, always trying to put him back on the right way.

Although it isn't my favorite kind of book, even if you read it as a regular fiction, Candide is somewhat a "light" reading. It's easy to understand, it's short (thank goodness) and it doesn't get lost in details and descriptions. Not bad. ( )
1 vote aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Is a reply to

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

There lived in Westphalia, at the country seat of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh, a young lad blessed by Nature with the most agreeable manners.
In the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh in Westphalia there lived a youth, endowed by Nature with the most gentle character.
"Fools admire everything in a celebrated author. I only read to please myself, and I only like what suits me."
"'Tis well said," replied Candide, "but we must cultivate our gardens."
“Why should you think it so strange that in some countries there are monkeys which insinuate themselves into the good graces of the ladies; they are a fourth part human, as I am a fourth part Spaniard.”

Witty and caustic, Candide has ranked as one of the world's great satires since its first publication in 1759. In the story of the trials and travails of the youthful Candide, his mentor Dr. Pangloss, and a host of other characters, Voltaire mercilessly satirizes and exposes romance, science, philosophy, religion, and government. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:19 -0400)

One of the world's great satires since its first publication in 1759. Witty, caustic skewering of romance, science, philosophy, religion, government - nearly all human ideals and institutions.

Legacy Library: Voltaire

Voltaire has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Voltaire's legacy profile.

See Voltaire's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039423, 0140455108

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300106556, 0300119879

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,177,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible