Candide by Voltaire

Candide (original 1759; edition 1995)

by Voltaire, Sylviane Léoni (Sous la direction de)

Member:gambina
Title:Candide
Authors:Voltaire
Other authors:Sylviane Léoni (Sous la direction de)
Info:Le Livre de Poche (1995), Poche, 223 pages

Candide by Voltaire (1759)

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (Weasel524)
    Weasel524: What separates the two: Travels is a satirical indictment of the society Swift saw around him, whereas Candide is a satirical indictment of popular philosophical theories of the time. Not a huge difference, but surely large enough for some. Candide also happens to be shorter and funnier, with Travels being more explorative… (more)
    Persian Letters by Montesquieu (joririchardson)
    Baltasar and Blimunda by José Saramago (Mouseear)
    The History of Rasselas, Prince of Abissinia by Samuel Johnson (KayCliff)
    The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (gennyt)
    gennyt: Both books contain extraordinary, unlikely picaresque adventures combined with humorous satire on the politics, wars and religious issues of their time.
    The adventures of Mr. Nicholas Wisdom by Ignacy Krasicki (DieFledermaus)
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (owen1218)
    Orlando by Virginia Woolf (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: They have the same kind of wide-eyed satirical quality.
    A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy by Laurence Sterne (AaronPt)
    Utopia by Thomas More (kxlly)
    Island by Aldous Huxley (kxlly)

English (168)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (185)
Entertaining, satirical, short. Feels like a 100-page YouTube comment troll. We should all be so fortunate as to accidentally kill someone and then find out they're still alive. ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |
This book would have been much easier to read as a contemporary to Voltaire, although far from impossible to enjoy. It can be funny, but the style is choppy and the story jumps from one disjointed plot twist to the next. A classic, but perhaps not for everyone. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
Fun and comic read. Easy to get through and hysterical. ( )
  caseybp | Apr 13, 2015 |
I liked the operetto, and was having my own time of 'hah, I have always believed we live in a fundamentally Good world, what's with this shit?' so wanted to read Candide. It's hard to review the Classics TM. If it was a modern novel then there would be comments about pacing and characterisation. But actually, a surprising amount of Stuff happens, and even if it is a bit relentlessly 'hey, the world is quite random and rubbish' the ending of 'well, let's get on tending our garden' is a wise message. Also, red sheep! ( )
  atreic | Mar 23, 2015 |
All is well? All is for the best, in this best of all worlds? Think again, says Voltaire, in this satirical, comical refutation of institutional dogma. Globe-hopping outlandishness. Easy to see how this beacon of enlightenment ran afoul of the ecclesiastical muckity mucks. This Penguin Deluxe edition includes a fine introduction and insightful endnotes. Also in the appendices: portions of his "Philosophical Dictionary" and the entire text of his poem, "The Lisbon Earthquake". ( )
  JamesMScott | Jan 26, 2015 |

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Is a reply to

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Voltaire was the wittiest writeer in an age of great wits, and _Candide_ is his wittiest novel. The subject he chose to exercise his wit upon in this novel is one which conceerns all of us; surprisingly enough, that subject is the problem of suffering. However much we may try to avoid the problem, we are all confronted at some time with this difficulty, that the Creator has made a universe where suffering abounds. If the Creator is good and all-powerful, as we are told he is, could he not have made a better world? If he could, what prevented him? If he could not, can we still believe that he is good and all-powerful? Can we indeed believe in him at all? Or if we do, can we believe that he is at all concerned with men and their sufferings? In times of widespread disasters such questioning becomes more general and more urgent. We are living in such times; and so was Voltaire. [Butt's introduction]
There lived in Westphalia, at the country seat of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh, a young lad blessed by Nature with the most agreeable manners. You could read his character in his face. He combined sound judgment with unaffected simplicity; and that, I suppose, was why he was called Candide. The old family servants suspected that he was the son of the Baron's sisteer by a worthy gentleman of that neighbourhood, whom the young lady would never agree to marry because he could only claim seventy-one quarterings, the rest of his family tree having suffered from the ravages of time. [Butt's translation]
In the castle of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh in Westphalia there lived a youth, endowed by Nature with the most gentle character.
"Fools admire everything in a celebrated author. I only read to please myself, and I only like what suits me."
"'Tis well said," replied Candide, "but we must cultivate our gardens."
“Why should you think it so strange that in some countries there are monkeys which insinuate themselves into the good graces of the ladies; they are a fourth part human, as I am a fourth part Spaniard.”

Witty and caustic, Candide has ranked as one of the world's great satires since its first publication in 1759. In the story of the trials and travails of the youthful Candide, his mentor Dr. Pangloss, and a host of other characters, Voltaire mercilessly satirizes and exposes romance, science, philosophy, religion, and government. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:16 -0400)

One of the world's great satires since its first publication in 1759. Witty, caustic skewering of romance, science, philosophy, religion, government - nearly all human ideals and institutions.

Legacy Library: Voltaire

Voltaire has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Voltaire's legacy profile.

See Voltaire's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039423, 0140455108

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300106556, 0300119879

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,929,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible