The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish…

The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust (original 1999; edition 2015)

by Edith Hahn Beer (Author)

Edith Hahn tells how she survived the Holocaust, first by going underground, using a Christian friend's identity papers, and eventually marrying Werner Vetter, a Nazi Party member who knew she was Jewish.
Member:matthewlipscomb
Title:The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust
Authors:Edith Hahn Beer (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2015), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages

The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust by Edith Hahn Beer (1999)

English (46)  Italian (1)  All languages (47)
Of course, it's simply an unbelievable story. Very well-told. ( )
  tmph | Sep 13, 2020 |
Edith Beer was a Jewish woman who assumed a false identity as a Christian woman to escape the horrors of the Holocaust. She married a Nazi officer and started a family. In this remarkable tale, Edith recalls her world and the steps she took to navigate it. ( )
  06nwingert | Jan 4, 2020 |
This was a completely different type of Holocaust memoir. Edith Hahn Beer tells the story of her life in Vienna before the war. She tells of her first love, her education, her career aspirations. These were dashed at the onset of World War II. Though she didn't have to endure a concentration camp, Edith was sent to a work camp. Her health suffered. Her family was separated. She changed her identity to help her disguise her Jewish heritage. And she eventually married a Nazi officer and had a daughter with him. The story is heartbreaking, but moving. Excellent reading. ( )
  briandrewz | Dec 17, 2019 |
This was a really interesting book, about a Jewish woman from Vienna who narrowly escaped death in a concentration camp, assumed the identity of a Christian friend, married a German officer, and finally got her law degree at the end of the war and helped the Russians begin to establish a working society again.

An amazing woman with a fascinating story. Read it! ( )
  a-shelf-apart | Nov 19, 2019 |
I always feel that when reading about this period of our history, the Holocaust and its accompanying literature should be taken in small pieces due to its intensity and the emotions it can bring out in the reader. This is one small piece that was worth reading but it wasn’t as mind blowing as other true accounts I have read. I actually feel a little guilt at only giving 3 thumbs to a book written about a holocaust survivor, as each survival story is remarkable in and of itself, but this book didn’t capture me in the way others have, and I found the Author really hard to connect with.

With that said, this book opened my eyes to a part of the Holocaust I had heard of, but never really read anything about; the story of a Jew in Nazi Germany living as a non-Jew, or as they were known a ‘U-boat’. This book gives a whole new meaning to the phrase ‘living with the enemy’. I was totally immersed in the paperwork and rationing involved in Germany at this time, and along with the presence of mind required by the Author to remember who she was at any given moment, and to keep her cool when questioned I found myself pulled more into the era and life then than I was towards the Author herself.

The evidence of how the Author had to harden her emotions to everyday events, something that she still carries with her today, was apparent in the way in which this book was written. Events were put on the page in a very matter of fact manner and with very little emotion, this also spilled over to others mentioned in the book, as they came across as one dimensional and with little to no depth. This made it very hard to figure out their personalities and the motivation behind their actions; but maybe I was looking for too much in what is an account of an extraordinary life.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in Holocaust fiction as they might find a viewpoint on this period they had not read before.

Originally reviewed on: http://catesbooknuthut.com/2015/05/01/review-the-nazi-officers-wife-how-one-jewi...

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
  TheAcorn | Nov 8, 2019 |

Beer, Edith Hahnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dworkin, Susansecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bayer, Ottosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boer, Jan deCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bronswijk, Ineke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cohen, LoïcTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my mother, Klothilde Hahn
After a while, there were no more onions.
So you see, we had all the burdens of being Jewish in an anti-Semitic country, but none of the strengths—the Torah learning, the prayers, the welded community. We spoke no Yiddish or Hebrew. We had no deep faith in God. We were not Polish Chassidim or Lithuanian yeshiva scholars. We were not bold free Americans... And there were no Israelis then, no soldiers in the desert, no "nation like other nations." Hold that in your mind as I tell you this story.
I think my father knew how to be Jewish, but he did not teach us. He must have thought we would absorb it with our mother's milk.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,935,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible