The various haunts of men : a Simon…

The various haunts of men : a Simon Serrailler crime novel (original 2004; edition 2007)

by Susan Hill

794None11,532 (3.68)174
Member:Meredy
Title:The various haunts of men : a Simon Serrailler crime novel
Authors:Susan Hill
Info:Woodstock, N.Y. : Overlook Press, 2007.
Collections:SJPL
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, mystery

The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill (2004)

First in a series. A mystery, with a whole cast of wonderful characters; women gone missing without a trace; a colony of "alternative" healers, legitimate and otherwise; a mysterious pathological "pathologist"; a small cathedral town with its own minor set of "stones" on the Hill.... It grabbed me and kept me reading much like the Tana French Dublin murder squad series, or the Jackson Brodie books. But Hill does French and Atkinson one better, in a gutsy way I can't reveal without spoiling the story. Billed as the first Simon Serrailler mystery, it's really more about one of his squad, Detective Sergeant Freya Graffham, from whose point of view much of the story is told. There are other POV's as well, but she comes across as the primary character here. Serrailler is quite a minor player, apart from the fact that Freya falls hard for him and struggles with what to do about that. I loved it. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Mar 30, 2014 |
This was my first Simon Serrailer book, I really enjoyed the story, the atmosphere, the characters and the sense of place.
The use of the victims' perspectives was an unusual and very effective approach.
I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Mar 13, 2014 |
  erica471 | Jan 5, 2014 |
Quite a good detective story. Though too long for the story it tells, it has good character and a twist I didn't see coming at all. Looking forward to reading the next in the series. ( )
  Devatipan | Nov 14, 2013 |
The Various Haunts of Men is the first book in the Simon Serrailler series by Susan Hill. Women have been disappearing in Lafferton and initially the police seem reluctant to pursue the investigation let alone connect the cases. A drugs ring is more their priority. However, they discover that there may be more to the disappearances than at first it seems.

Although this is considered to be a Simon Serrailler book it is actually the Detective Sergeant Freya who does most of the running in this novel. She seems to be the one doing the investigation and connecting the cases.Read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Sep 30, 2013 |
The Various Haunts of men
Require the pencil, they defy the pen.

~ George Crabbe, The Borough

For my dearly loved Ghost
"The Tape" Last week I found a letter from you. I didn't think I had kept any of them. I thought I had destroyed everything from you. But this one had somehow been overlooked.

A lonely woman of fifty-three vanishes in fog; a fat twenty-two-year-old never returns from an early morning walk . . .

Experienced policemen know that most missing persons either turn up or go missing on purpose. But fresh young D.S. Freya Graffham won’t drop it — until she discovers what links the people who disappear on “The Hill,” young and old, men and women, even a little dog. Susan Hill writes with compassion, humour and a unique understanding of the details of daily life.

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:55 -0400)

"A lonely woman of vanishes while out on her morning run. The police aren't alarmed. But when a 22-year-old girl never returns from a walk, an old man disappears too, no one can denied that something is happening in the quiet cathedral town of Lafferton. When fresh-faced policewoman Freya Graffham is assigned to the case, she must unravel the mystery before events turn too gruesome"--Back cover.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,423,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible