A Cold Brew Killing (All-Day Breakfast Cafe…

A Cold Brew Killing (All-Day Breakfast Cafe Mystery Book 3) (edition 2018)

by Lena Gregory (Author)

731,645,495 (4.67)None
Member:LaurasReading
Title:A Cold Brew Killing (All-Day Breakfast Cafe Mystery Book 3)
Authors:Lena Gregory (Author)
Info:Lyrical Underground (2018), 265 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:murder mystery, cozy mystery, food mystery, foodie fiction, dogs

A Cold Brew Killing (All-Day Breakfast Cafe Mystery) by Lena Gregory

A small-town homicide puzzles café owner Gia and her friend Savannah, while it sets the rest of the town on edge. As Gia sets out to prove her accused friend innocent, gradually a picture forms of the murky past that lead to the truth coming out.
I liked how much time the main character, Gia, spent working in her cafe. I also appreciated how her routine was explained and the food was made to sound so appetizing. I think I would like to visit the All-Day Breakfast Café when life is quiet.
By the end of the book, I just felt like I was in mourning for a certain group of friends. I wished they had had someone they could have turned to who would have helped them deal with life better. I also wanted to see Hunt spend a little more attention on Gia. It seemed he was an all or nothing guy, and sometimes she got nothing. I will be looking to see how the next books in the series develop the characters and town.
Quotable:
”Sometimes you didn’t need a friend to interfere; sometimes you needed them to stand by while you made a mess of your life, then jump in and pick up the pieces.”
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley. No positive review was required and all opinions are solely my own. ( )
  Becky_L | Dec 17, 2018 |
Gia Morelli's life is starting to come together. After moving to Florida and opening a café she's managing to eke out a decent living, has made some good friends, and even started a relationship with Detective Hunter Quinn, who's acting captain of the local police force. Little does she know trouble is brewing: there's a heated mayoral race between Ron Parker and Mitch Anderson, and while it seems it's just another campaign, little does she know it goes far deeper than she or anyone else thinks.

One morning her part-time waitress Willow is preparing to leave with her mother Skyla when two strangers enter the café for breakfast, and while leaving, the wife recognizes Skyla. She seems startled to see them, and though Gia wants to know why, she lets the subject drop. It's also apparent that Skyla dislikes Mitch Anderson, but won't say why, and no one presses the issue. However, Gia knows Skyla has things she's not saying, and she wonders why.

The next day, Trevor Barnes, who owns an ice cream shop down the street and is one of Gia's best friends, enters the shop while as a ghost and in a panic. He insists there's a dead body in his walk-in freezer, and he doesn't know how it got there. When it's discovered that the dead man is Ron Parker, and that Trevor has a past with him, he's suspected of the murder. But Gia knows Trevor, and she knows he couldn't kill anyone. While she thinks the police aren't looking hard enough, she wants to find out who wanted the man dead. She also wants to know why, after Ron's death, Skyla seems to have withdrawn into herself, but no one can get close enough to find out.

But once she begins to learn a little more about Ron's past and his history with Mitch, she realizes that there are secrets someone wants to keep hidden, and if she doesn't find out the rest of the story, it might be too late for everyone involved...

This is the third book in the series, and a very good entry indeed. While I somehow missed the second book after having read the first, the author doesn't reference things that occurred, so you don't feel like you're missing things along the way.

That being said, I liked the way the mystery was written. While the body is discovered almost immediately (as it should be), the clues are hidden well throughout, and pieces of the story are gleaned from each character involved, leading us to the truth. And what a truth it is; ugly, sad, and destruction of lives that never should have been. Unfortunately, such are the truths of life.

In this book, we learn a little bit more about Trevor and Harley's pasts and that of her friend Sybil who haunts the woods near Gia's home. It's things I don't believe anyone anticipated, but interesting nonetheless. We also have Gia and Hunt finding their way in their new-ish relationship, even if there are bumps in that path, and it's handled nicely and quite believable. With this new knowledge at hand, I fully expect the future books to be even more engaging.

Needless to say, I enjoyed the story, including the various subplots woven within, and the fact that they didn't detract from the tale by unwarranted drama. There were plenty of twists and turns, and enough intrigue to keep you reading throughout in one sitting.

When Gia finds out the truth of the matter (and we know she will) it all came together nicely and the ending was satisfying, giving us a hint of what is to come in future books while finding closure for some of the characters in this one. Recommended. ( )
  joannefm2 | Nov 13, 2018 |
Some people said that crime increased once Gia Morelli moved to Florida.
This time, she did not bring it, but crime is dropped right at her doorway.
All the wonderful crowd from her breakfast cafe are included as this mystery revived from the past regenerates in Gia's neighborhood and friends circle. A timely novel as there are political elections nearing and none of the candidates are fit for office.
This all seem to be taking a toll on Skyla and Trevor is taken in as a person of interest in a murder.
Gia and Savannah are supposed to take a few days of vacation, but what should be a ''5 minute stop" takes them in a new direction. Of course this all takes a toll on Gia's budding romance as well.

Action packed, tense and timely, this book has something for every adrenaline junkie! ( )
  LaurasReading | Nov 13, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible