The Cobra Event by Richard Preston

The Cobra Event (edition 1998)

by Richard Preston

Title:The Cobra Event
Authors:Richard Preston
Info:Ballantine Books (1998), Edition: Reprint, Paperback

The Cobra Event by Richard Preston

English (24)  French (1)  All languages (25)
Read this one more than once, great book with a good twist at the ending.
Recently (2011-2013) the duo Preston/Child -series about Agent Pendergast took a turn I do not really appreciate with the Nazis. Being a German I that threat is all to real for me and I do not need them as villains in the fiction I read (with them being in the series from Rollins also and others).
This standalone novel is exceptionally good.
Page-turner, highly recommended.
Another book in the same genre, also highly recommended: [b:Quantico|214372|Quantico|Greg Bear|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1172766774s/214372.jpg|1430847]. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
I had already read Preston's ground-breaking non-fiction [b:The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus|16213|The Hot Zone The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus|Richard Preston|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1413747743s/16213.jpg|909325]. But a fiction writer he ain't.

Cardboard characters, a stupidly evil villain, an incredulous plot, and worst of all, poor writing.
I expected much better after having read his non-fiction.
No match for [a:Michael Crichton|5194|Michael Crichton|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1359042651p2/5194.jpg]
If you haven't read it, I would give it a miss. ( )
  BBcummings | Dec 24, 2014 |
[The Cobra Event] by [Richard Preston] told the very plausible story about a biological disease weapon being released by a terrorist. It went into detail about the disease (very interesting) and the inner workings of the FBI (not so interesting). I had previously read his book, [Hot Zone], which was a true story about the Ebola Virus. I preferred that book to this one. ( )
1 vote tess_schoolmarm | Aug 1, 2014 |
Soundly based in science which makes even more frightening. The Hot Zone was real - this is fiction but based on very real science. ( )
1 vote labdaddy4 | Sep 29, 2013 |
After reading The Hot Zone (non-fiction) and being scared, better-informed, with a lot to think about concerning the world of deadly viruses, The Cobra Event (fiction) struck me as less potent. One would almost presume that the Fiction would be even more frightening than reality, but the reverse was true for me. Both are good works and show dedicated research and stellar writing. ( )
1 vote nobooksnolife | Aug 13, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to my brother
David G. Preston, M.D.,
and to
all public health professionals,
wherever they may be.
Kate Moran was an only child.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345409973, Mass Market Paperback)

In New York City in the late '90s, a 17-year-old girl heads off to her private school even though she has a cold. By art class her nose is gushing mucus and she's severely disoriented. Within seconds, it seems, she's in convulsions and, most bizarrely, can't stop biting herself. All the reader can do is hope she'll die quickly, but Kate Moran's body still has a few more disgusting turns to undergo, and Richard Preston--a Jacobean master of ceremonies par excellence--takes us through them in bizarre and bloody detail.

Clearly, whatever Kate had was a head cold with a scientific vengeance. Preston's heroine, Alice Austen, a doctor with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, realizes--in the first of several gripping autopsy scenes--that the girl's nervous system had been virtually destroyed. So far, only one other person is known to have died in the same way, but he was a homeless man. Austen must connect the two cases, seemingly linked only by the subway, before the media gets hold of them and drums up a paranoia-fest--and before the virus's creator can kill again.

The Cobra Event is itself a paranoia-fest, a provocative thriller that makes you wonder exactly how much bioterrorism is taking place in the real world. Preston, best known for his terrifying chronicle of the Ebola virus, The Hot Zone, and other impeccably researched nonfictions, is not content to create fast-paced nightmarish scenes. His novel is instead a complex morality tale anchored in uncomfortable fact. Preston is keen to convey the "invisible history" of bioweapons engineering and, equally, to show the unsung heroism of his scientific detectives (along with that of the nurses and technicians who literally sacrifice their lives for medicine). Like their creator, these characters are not without a sense of humor. One calls the manmade virus "the ultimate head cold." Readers will never forget literally dozens of scenes and will never again see the subway, rodents, autopsy knives, and--above all--runny noses in the same light.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:51 -0400)

Five days ago, a homeless man on a subway platform died in agony as startled commuters looked on. Yesterday, a teenager started having violent, uncontrollable spasms in art class. Within minutes, she too was dead. Dr. Alice Austen is a medical pathologist at the Centers of Disease Control in Atlanta. What she knows is that the two deaths are connected. What she fears is that they are only the beginning.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,950,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible