Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee
4251937,701 (3.87)39
    Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Extraordinary world-building in both the Liaden Universe and the Realms - characters you'll want to revisit again and again.

Having escaped the enemy for the moment, Cantra, Jela, and the Tree have to make some big decisions--the first of which is whether they're sticking together while Jela keeps his promise to Rool Tiazen and his lady, to get and distribute Liad dea'Syl's equations that hold the only hope of defeating or escaping the Sheriekas. Once they're all committed, things start to go a little haywire. Liad is inside a scholars' tower, Osabei, on Landomist. It's an inner world, and has harsh laws about the genetically engineered, like Jela. Getting in to Osabei is going to take Cantra taking on a whole new identity--and believing it, right down to the core. Jela knows why they're there; Cantra doesn't even know who they really are.

And the Sheriekas are still after them, and there's an enemy from Cantra's past inside, and then Tor An yos'Galen young Trader pilot whose home star system has just been destroyed by the Sheriekas, shows up looking for an old friend of his grandmother...

As they gather their allies and their enemies close in, Jela, Cantra, and Tor An all learn unsettling things about themselves, their own pasts, and what they're really willing to do. The Tree, too, is learning, sharing its ideas via images, and engaging in unauthorized biopharmacology without prior discussion.

The Great Migration is about to happen, if they can live long enough, and get enough of the human species moving.

This is another enjoyable Liaden adventure, and some of the fun in this one is recognizing people and things that will be important in the history of the chronologically later books and stories.

Recommended.

I bought this book. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
I found it hard to decide how to rate this as parts of it I liked very much and others not much at all. The sections about the Iloheen were hard for me to envision and confusing while the sections about Cantra & Jela were excellent. Perhaps when I have finished the series, those sections I found difficult will make more sense but for now, I comprise with a 3.5 star rating. ( )
  leslie.98 | May 26, 2018 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Crystal Dragon Series: Liaden Universe Author: Sharon Lee & Steve Miller Rating: 4 of 5 Stars Genre: SF Pages: 445 Synopsis: The direct sequel to Crystal Soldier. And things get resolved in such a way as to show the creation of the Liaden Universe. Intrigue, politics, fighting all come together from various places and planes. My Thoughts: I felt a little fuzzy reading this, as "Math" was suppose to save the day but obviously since Lee and Miller weren't talking real math, it was just referenced to so it felt kind of Ex Deus Machina. That aside, this was yet another lovely foray into the Liaden Universe. This was the second book chronologically, but I have to say, I think the Publication Order is a much better way to read things. That was the way it came from the authors' minds and it should be transmitted to ours in the same fashion. One thing I really liked was how much of an important part the Tree played. It has been referenced before, but it has almost been a non-existent side character, enough so that I never thought it was THAT special, not at all. Hope it plays a bigger part in future novels. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Of all the books in the series, these are unique. I would even say, masterful examples of two authors really controlling their writing and producing something unique.

Here is my more complete thoughts on the matter. Thank the Maker: http://girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2013/05/the-last-word-liaden-universe-serie... ( )
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |

Girlscifi | Jan 16, 2016 |

Sharon Leeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miller, Stevemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Collins, Kevin T.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murphy, KevinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To absent friends
The zaliata pinwheeled across the aetherium, painting the void with bright strokes of energy.

You can't go home again...

What do you do when home is a conspiracy that's been discovered and destroyed? When home is a planet in a star system that's gone missing? When home means working for the destroyers of galaxies? When home is a space ship that's calling out to the enemy? Cantra yos'Phelium isn't a quitter, but she has more than a little problem: the Enemy has accelerated it's attacks and how do you fight an Enemy whose major form of attack is the de-crystallization of everything around itself? A smuggler with a rogue soldier for a co-pilot, and a tree with an attitude for crew, Cantra's the only one who can get close to the man who holds equations that might, just might - thwart the Enemy.

All she has to do is help a young pilot from a missing world, juggle a slippery promise she never quite made to a pair of wizards, and then forget who she is along with everything, and everyone, she's ever known.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441015492, Mass Market Paperback)

A Letter from Anne McCaffrey about Crystal Dragon:

Every now and then you come across an author, or in this case, a pair, who write exactly what you want to read, the characters and personalities that make you enjoy meeting them. Apart from my passion for Kim by Rudyard Kipling, I had read some authors whose books I would buy the moment they came on sale (thanks to Amazon’s policy and pre-ordering facility) and then there are the precious few who sit in honor on my comfort shelf. The books I reach for when something in life has become intolerable. And I rediscover the joy that had infused me at the first reading. Such a book was "Agent of Change" first published by Del Rey. When I had finished, hungering for more, I got in touch with Shelly Shapiro, my editor at Del Rey and, prayers answered, she had the manuscript for "Conflict of Honors" on her desk. I beseeched her to send me a copy asap…my hunger for more of the Liaden Universe so intense. She did. However, I had to wait for the third of that first series: "Carpe Diem!"

I found out that Steve and Sharon had published chap books on the Liaden universe, Val Con and Miri Roberson, Shan yos ‘Galan and Priscilla. Sharon and Steve are always throwing you quips like that and reading them is all the more enjoyable for them. So I bought those as they were published. Some of them are now also published in hard cover. The only trouble with the chap books is that while they sort out one problem, or elaborate on a special character, they are not very long.

Then I discovered that Meisha Merlin was going to continue the series. I was delighted to get a hard-cover of "Partners in Necessity" which is the three single titles mentioned above…then we have more good chunks of Liaden in "Pilot’s Choice" which contains the two titles "Local Custom" and "Scout’s Progress". Following them, is "Plan B", which has the most devious plot and then on to "I Dare". Which is gorgeous. And then, for dessert, "Balance of Trade"…and the tales of "Low Port".

What fascinates me most about Lee and Miller as a team is how well blended they are, with a structured society that is almost Chinese in its adherence to custom…the graciousness of the language is always a delight (something I wish I had phrased as aptly). I can certainly see the Tree in my mind’s eye, spreading its ancient leaves over the valley it protects and the people it cherishes. And now these authors have come up with another pair of characters and a new chapter in the history of Liaden…"Crystal Soldier". Better yet, it says on the title page Book One of the Great Migration Duology. So, Happy Day, it means another book is coming "Crystal Dragon". Hurrrah. The hero is M. Jela Granthor’s Guards, and the heroine is Cantra: names which will have significance to those who have already entered the magic of Liaden.

I rarely rave on and on about stories, but I am devoted to Lee and Miller novels and stories. Start at the beginning, dear reader, and you will be rewarded with a sanctuary you can escape to, as I do when this world we’re stuck with is impossible to endure.

Anne McCaffrey, Dragonhold-Underhill, Co Wicklow Ireland.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:53 -0400)

A pilot, Jela, and a smuggler, Cantra, are gentically engineered humans who learn to trust each other and join forces against the shereikas, former humans with special powers who are determined to eliminate all inferior life-forms in the universe.

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,339,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible