Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee
Recently added byGlennis.LeBlanc, steelprimate, skrivsm, private library, being_b, Avindy, Colona, jules43, BJ3568, jimnutt
    Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Extraordinary world-building in both the Liaden Universe and the Realms - characters you'll want to revisit again and again.

Lute, Moonhawk, and Rool Tiazan just aren't that intersting to me. I'm actually not very fond of the dramliza in general, to tell the truth. Maybe it's because I spent so many years thinking that this series was more pure sci fi than it was revealed to be after I read past the original trilogy.

Teleportation definitely tips this into the science-fantasy realm in my mind.

This book for the most part followed the plot I thought it would with no real surprises - that's the danger of prequels, I suppose. I was sad that there wasn't a little more explicitly done with the genetic engineering angle that I liked from the previous book, though there's some further hints here and there. ( )
  Melanti | Mar 30, 2013 |
Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller. Second novel in the huge tome I'm wading through The Crystal Variation. This one was a bit less put together than the first - I still have no idea how the Liaden Universe got 'found' or 'made' or what - and I did reread pieces more than once. It never quite jelled for me what the 'dramliza' energy beings were doing...... but oh well..... the story/situation/characters were all terrifically fun, so I'm not going to be a spoilsport - so yeah, the science is fluffy, but that's not really the point of space opera, now is it? Should add that I read this as part of a huge book, 3 in 1 - Crystal Variations **** ( )
  sibyx | Jan 22, 2013 |
Excellant conclusion to the chronologically first two books of the Liaden universe., Explainaing how Liad came to be, the status of the high families and all the following stories.

Jela and Cantra meet some strange allies, rebels of the universe destroying aliens. The dramliza of future books. With their aid, and cantra's revelation that she is more than just a simple smuggler they manage to sneek onto philosophical world in order to setal some advanced mathmatical prrofs that may aid their sucessful escape form the enemy. The Dramliza however arenot all in accord and many options are open to them.

High action - for Liaden novel anway, and good fun. I'm still not convinced that this was a totally necessary plot to explain the Liaden universe - matter destroying aliens seems to be taking things a little far, but it is internally consistant which is always the hallmark of a dedicated author. Well writen exciting and fun. ( )
  reading_fox | Oct 7, 2012 |
The universe is being folded into crystal, all life drained away and frozen into sterile shards by the Iloheen. Whole solar systems are disappearing, and humanity is fighting a losing, ever retreating battle. Only a handful have the courage, strength and intelligence necessary to fight back, but at some point they too will need to turn and run... but where, and how....

The second book of the Liaden Migration, this probably would have made a shade more sense if I'd read the first installment first. Nevertheless, once past the first chapter - which does set things up for later, but confused me royally initially - I settled in to enjoy the relationship between Jela and Cantra, to snicker and cringe as Tor An gets a lesson in the real world, and laugh as Cantra and politics learn to cope with one another.

Great world-building, and even the habitual odd wording reads normally after a while. After all, language shifts a bit over the millennia, right? ( )
  SunnySD | Apr 27, 2011 |
Again, threads that show up later are put in place within this story. Lute and Moonhawk show up here, and the dramliza, in various forms. And Jela's Troop, and…The story gets rather confusing at times, jumping between different perspectives - the dramliza, Jela, Tor An, Cantra/Maelyn (and that last is a major perspective switch all by itself). We also learn more about the Tree and its abilities. And the real origin of the High Houses of Solcintra and Liad - which is rather amusing. So is the way dea'Gauss first became associated with Korval, and how Korval came to be, for that matter. Jela's end is very appropriate for him - and Cantra's reaction(s) very appropriate for her. The whole adventure in the tower is among the more confusing episodes, with assorted different views of events - I really didn't understand what was going on with her enemy the first time I read it, it became clearer on rereading. There's enough here to furnish two light books easily, maybe three - but Miller and Lee integrate it into one smooth story with noticeable grace. It is interesting how many of the threads that re-meet in that one generation of Korval started with these two books… ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jul 9, 2009 |

Lee, SharonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, SteveAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Collins, Kevin T.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To absent friends
The zaliata pinwheeled across the aetherium, painting the void with bright strokes of energy.

You can't go home again...

What do you do when home is a conspiracy that's been discovered and destroyed? When home is a planet in a star system that's gone missing? When home means working for the destroyers of galaxies? When home is a space ship that's calling out to the enemy? Cantra yos'Phelium isn't a quitter, but she has more than a little problem: the Enemy has accelerated it's attacks and how do you fight an Enemy whose major form of attack is the de-crystallization of everything around itself? A smuggler with a rogue soldier for a co-pilot, and a tree with an attitude for crew, Cantra's the only one who can get close to the man who holds equations that might, just might - thwart the Enemy.

All she has to do is help a young pilot from a missing world, juggle a slippery promise she never quite made to a pair of wizards, and then forget who she is along with everything, and everyone, she's ever known.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441015492, Mass Market Paperback)

A Letter from Anne McCaffrey about Crystal Dragon:

Every now and then you come across an author, or in this case, a pair, who write exactly what you want to read, the characters and personalities that make you enjoy meeting them. Apart from my passion for Kim by Rudyard Kipling, I had read some authors whose books I would buy the moment they came on sale (thanks to Amazon’s policy and pre-ordering facility) and then there are the precious few who sit in honor on my comfort shelf. The books I reach for when something in life has become intolerable. And I rediscover the joy that had infused me at the first reading. Such a book was "Agent of Change" first published by Del Rey. When I had finished, hungering for more, I got in touch with Shelly Shapiro, my editor at Del Rey and, prayers answered, she had the manuscript for "Conflict of Honors" on her desk. I beseeched her to send me a copy asap…my hunger for more of the Liaden Universe so intense. She did. However, I had to wait for the third of that first series: "Carpe Diem!"

I found out that Steve and Sharon had published chap books on the Liaden universe, Val Con and Miri Roberson, Shan yos ‘Galan and Priscilla. Sharon and Steve are always throwing you quips like that and reading them is all the more enjoyable for them. So I bought those as they were published. Some of them are now also published in hard cover. The only trouble with the chap books is that while they sort out one problem, or elaborate on a special character, they are not very long.

Then I discovered that Meisha Merlin was going to continue the series. I was delighted to get a hard-cover of "Partners in Necessity" which is the three single titles mentioned above…then we have more good chunks of Liaden in "Pilot’s Choice" which contains the two titles "Local Custom" and "Scout’s Progress". Following them, is "Plan B", which has the most devious plot and then on to "I Dare". Which is gorgeous. And then, for dessert, "Balance of Trade"…and the tales of "Low Port".

What fascinates me most about Lee and Miller as a team is how well blended they are, with a structured society that is almost Chinese in its adherence to custom…the graciousness of the language is always a delight (something I wish I had phrased as aptly). I can certainly see the Tree in my mind’s eye, spreading its ancient leaves over the valley it protects and the people it cherishes. And now these authors have come up with another pair of characters and a new chapter in the history of Liaden…"Crystal Soldier". Better yet, it says on the title page Book One of the Great Migration Duology. So, Happy Day, it means another book is coming "Crystal Dragon". Hurrrah. The hero is M. Jela Granthor’s Guards, and the heroine is Cantra: names which will have significance to those who have already entered the magic of Liaden.

I rarely rave on and on about stories, but I am devoted to Lee and Miller novels and stories. Start at the beginning, dear reader, and you will be rewarded with a sanctuary you can escape to, as I do when this world we’re stuck with is impossible to endure.

Anne McCaffrey, Dragonhold-Underhill, Co Wicklow Ireland.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:25 -0400)

You can't go home again. What do you do when home is a conspiracy that's been discovered and destroyed? When home is a planet in a star system that's gone missing? When home means working for the destroyers of galaxies? Cantra 'yos Phelium isn't a quitter, but she has more than a little problem.… (more)

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible