Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

Nine Perfect Strangers (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Liane Moriarty (Author)

Member:cherylmorton
Title:Nine Perfect Strangers
Authors:Liane Moriarty (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2018), 464 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:australia, fiction, 2018

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty (2018)

The Last Cruise: A Novel by Kate Christensen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: An eclectic assortment of complex characters are thrown together in these darkly humorous novels. In both, luxury vacations turn out to be anything but.
    A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These witty mainstream novels feature ensemble casts of strangers thrown together, but under very different circumstances. Both books are darkly humorous and feature distinct, fully realized characters whose backstories are slowly teased out, revealing piles of emotional baggage.… (more)

I enjoyed this book at the same time that I was frustrated by it. Nine strangers sign up for a life-changing retreat and end up in a totally unexpected situation. They were there for different reasons and we learn a lot about each one. Not all of them are totally likable or interesting, so I tended to skim over the chapters involving them. It is a very fast read but I kept getting the sense that this book really wasn't "about" anything. Everyone was "changed" by his/her experience in unexpected ways. ( )
  terran | May 13, 2019 |
I felt like it was a bit slow at first but halfway through and all the way to the end it definitely picked up speed. I had to take breaks when they were “locked in” because it was causing me to feel claustrophobic, too. I was so relieved when the house was not on fire and they were able to leave. What a trip. ( )
  DKnight0918 | May 5, 2019 |
Some really great moments with emotions all over, but a little slow at times. ( )
  bookwyrmm | May 3, 2019 |
I could not read this book. It was pretentious, with plastic people, and unrealistic situations. I have in the past enjoyed her books but since she became famous her books have slowly become boring and unreadable. How this book made everyone list last year is a mystery ( )
  shazjhb | May 2, 2019 |
This one started out very fun and interesting, although a little outside the author's normal 'box'. About halfway into it, the story took a wild and bizarre turn, one that I really didn't care for. I was a fast read. Not sure I can recommend it. A bare 3 stars. ( )
  Dannadee | Apr 28, 2019 |
You suppose you are the trouble
But you are the cure
You suppose that you are the lock on the door
But you are the key that opens it
Rumi
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
George Carlin
For Kati
And for Dad
With lots of love from me
"I'm fine," said the woman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,842,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible