Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

Nine Perfect Strangers (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Liane Moriarty (Author)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER "If three characters were good inBig Little Lies, nine are even better inNine Perfect Strangers." --Lisa Scottoline,The New York Times Book Review From the #1New York Times bestselling author ofBig Little Lies Could ten days at a health resort really change you forever? In Liane Moriarty's latest page-turner, nine perfect strangers are about to find out... Nine people gather at a remote health resort. Some are here to lose weight, some are here to get a reboot on life, some are here for reasons they can't even admit to themselves. Amidst all of the luxury and pampering, the mindfulness and meditation, they know these ten days might involve some real work. But none of them could imagine just how challenging the next ten days are going to be. Frances Welty, the formerly best-selling romantic novelist, arrives at Tranquillum House nursing a bad back, a broken heart, and an exquisitely painful paper cut. She's immediately intrigued by her fellow guests. Most of them don't look to be in need of a health resort at all. But the person that intrigues her most is the strange and charismatic owner/director of Tranquillum House. Could this person really have the answers Frances didn't even know she was seeking? Should Frances put aside her doubts and immerse herself in everything Tranquillum House has to offer - or should she run while she still can? It's not long before every guest at Tranquillum House is asking exactly the same question. Combining all of the hallmarks that have made her writing a go-to for anyone looking for wickedly smart, page-turning fiction that will make you laugh and gasp, Liane Moriarty'sNine Perfect Strangers once again shows why she is a master of her craft.… (more)
Member:Samkwrth
Title:Nine Perfect Strangers
Authors:Liane Moriarty (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2018), Edition: First Edition, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty (2018)

The Last Cruise: A Novel by Kate Christensen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: An eclectic assortment of complex characters are thrown together in these darkly humorous novels. In both, luxury vacations turn out to be anything but.
    A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These witty mainstream novels feature ensemble casts of strangers thrown together, but under very different circumstances. Both books are darkly humorous and feature distinct, fully realized characters whose backstories are slowly teased out, revealing piles of emotional baggage.… (more)

Right Book at the right time?

That may have been the case with this one - I am not sure that if I hadn't been exactly in the right mood if I would have enjoyed it as much. I had suffered from a string of books recently that really lacked any kind of momentum. This book cruised right along. It was crazy, unpredictable (in some ways) and the author did such a great job of serving the readers with a very satisfying ending. I loved it - it felt cathartic to read something so engaging. ( )
  alanna1122 | Dec 13, 2019 |
Oh this book.... where do I even start? The story starts out a little slow and not very well defined. What sort of book am I reading here? There's a lot of introducing of characters and their background stories, but nothing much seems to go on. I mean, you know something is going on, because of the publisher's description, but nothing really seems particularly... hang on, WHAT?!?!

Yes, this is that sort of book. Along with a well-told story, I found myself truly attached to these characters, wanting all of them to find their happily ever after. I didn't even care that you could see it coming from a mile away; everyone's predictable endings seemed so perfect after the crazy train that brought them there. The symmetry was satisfying.

4 1/2 stars ( )
  tiasreads | Dec 11, 2019 |
A bizarre yet entrancing book that wasn't at all what I expected. Humorous, strange, and fun. Full of characters that are equally annoying and relatable. More of a dark comedy than a thriller. Excellent performance by narrator Caroline Lee.

Loads and loads of WTF moments. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Dec 6, 2019 |
Ms. Moriarty can always be trusted to tell a good tale and this one is a doozy! Nine strangers show up at a health spa and from there things get surreal. There are serious stories but woven through with humor and the absurd. Ms Moriarty has a gift for bringing her characters to life - they are just detailed in ways that feel exactly right. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Dec 2, 2019 |
Wow this was just so eye-rollingly bad... ( )
  Layla.Natasha | Nov 10, 2019 |
You suppose you are the trouble
But you are the cure
You suppose that you are the lock on the door
But you are the key that opens it
Rumi
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
George Carlin
For Kati
And for Dad
With lots of love from me
"I'm fine," said the woman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,347,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible